USMC to rid service of ALL Tanks, Most Artillery and become a 21 Bn infantry force

New Marine Corps Cuts Will Slash All Tanks, Many Heavy Weapons As Focus Shifts to Lighter, Littoral Forces

By the year 2030, the Marine Corps will see complete divestments of Law Enforcement Battalions, Tank Battalions and associated Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), and all Bridging Companies. Additionally, the Corps will reduce the number of infantry battalions from 24 to 21; artillery cannon batteries from 21 to 5; amphibious vehicle companies from 6 to 4; and reduce tilt rotor, attack, and heavy lift squadrons,” he said.

How long will Berger last as Commandant?

He's not stupid, and this has been telegraphed well in advance.

So as long as he's supposed to.

New Marine Corps Cuts Will Slash All Tanks, Many Heavy Weapons As Focus Shifts to Lighter, Littoral Forces

By the year 2030, the Marine Corps will see complete divestments of Law Enforcement Battalions, Tank Battalions and associated Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), and all Bridging Companies. Additionally, the Corps will reduce the number of infantry battalions from 24 to 21; artillery cannon batteries from 21 to 5; amphibious vehicle companies from 6 to 4; and reduce tilt rotor, attack, and heavy lift squadrons,” he said.

What about the whole Norway gig as part of NATO?? You know fighting that Russian armor and such......
Unless commitments to Europe are going to rapidly change, this all seems geared to the PTO.

What about the whole Norway gig as part of NATO?? You know fighting that Russian armor and such......
Unless commitments to Europe are going to rapidly change, this all seems geared to the PTO.
It seems Berger believes the future fight is in the China seas area on Tarawa sized battlefields

It seems Berger believes the future fight is in the China seas area on Tarawa sized battlefields
Yes, I expected them to cut a tank company from each Tank battalion, not bin the entire inventory. The reduction in tubes is also worrisome and 3 infantry battalions is a chunk. They won't be able to cover Europe, the ME, and the Pacific with 21 infantry battalions... Looks like Europe is going to be fending more for themselves.

DTBA

War Hero
Yes, I expected them to cut a tank company from each Tank battalion, not bin the entire inventory. The reduction in tubes is also worrisome and 3 infantry battalions is a chunk. They won't be able to cover Europe, the ME, and the Pacific with 21 infantry battalions... Looks like Europe is going to be fending more for themselves.
How many USMC are stationed in Europe and what do they do in Europe?

Saw this on my news feed this morning. Posted it on a RTR Facebook page, some of our Tankies didn’t even know the MC had M1s.
There are going to be some Career Marine Tankers, who are going to be wondering what to do. Stay in the Corps and retrain as Infantry or transfer over to Army.
There’s going to be some high quality Tank crews going to waste.

Saw this on my news feed this morning. Posted it on a RTR Facebook page, some of our Tankies didn’t even know the MC had M1s.
There are going to be some Career Marine Tankers, who are going to be wondering what to do. Stay in the Corps and retrain as Infantry or transfer over to Army.
Oh I am sure the Army and Army Guard will be looking to poach some of the talent. But at the same time I do wonder if some leaders are cursing the USMC for creating an additional tasking for the Army.

I think that there is only one tank battalion in each of the regular USMC Divisions. They are used more for fire support and bunker busting in support of the Infantry as per the WW2 Pacific island battles like Tarawa and Iwo Jima as opposed to the Panzer style battles for which 7th US Army in Europe was trained and GW1.

Seems to be going back to the 'Small wars' manuel of 1928.

riksavage

Old-Salt
I think the USMC has woken-up and smelt the coffee. Does anyone on here seriously believe western militaries would still contemplate undertaking an apposed landing by sea against a near-peer enemy anymore? The casualties would be horrendous, starting at the horizon. Too many stand-off weapons capable of causing mayhem to an approaching amphibious fleet. Even a bunch of third-world nut jobs armed with ATGW could cause absolute chaos out to 5km from the shoreline (35K 9M133 Kornet’s sold worldwide to date). It looks like the US is following the Chinese example, long range fires with precession weapons.

arfah

LE
IIRC...

The USMC M1’s are A1’s which as earlier models, will no longer be supported by the manufacturer unless they are upgraded.

The cost of upgrading is considered too much by HQ USMC.

Here’s an attachment referencing changes to ORBAT.

26FFA511-97C7-45BC-8C99-18E23EC94125.jpeg

I admire the USMC as much as the next man, the amount of kit that they have, the guns, the aircraft, logistics, it's obscene. I cant help but think that this is a sensible refocusing of what is supposed to be an amphibious capability, not the Navy's private army. It makes sense to restructure the marines so that the form a component of an integrated military instead of a standalone force that rival's the military of most NATO countries.

It all started when they got rid of belt fed MG's i tell you.

Good chance for Australia. They bought a load of M1s from the US a few years ago to replace the Leopard,
As mentioned by someone else up thread, the M1s the US Marines have are apparently all older models, and would need extensive upgrades. They wouldn't be cheap.

Although tanks and tube artillery is going, missile artillery seems to be getting significant increases. 7 to 21 batteries.

They currently use HIMARS (GMLRS on wheels) and are currently looking at launching ship killing missiles from them, as well as the usual rockets.

And the transport sqns are going up by one, which means more KC-130J Harvest HAWK.