USMC Spl Forces After Action Report Powerpoint-Afghan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Apr 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some might be interested in this TTP and after action report powerpoint (although it is UNCLAS it is FOUO but it is now on the net in any event) from Afghanistan about a year ago by one of my former units:

Some good insights into the tactical organization and execution by Taliban fighters (especially in terms of fire discipline and reactions under fire)
  2. I saw this one last year while at Cp. Shelby, Miss.
  3. Sorry for the repeat
  4. What have you forgotten in Afghanistan just now. It's a hopeless business.
  5. Interesting.
  6. I agree, especially knowing as I do that Marines of that unit do not offer praise or give respect lightly.
  7. From Slide 36

"The enemy is not intimidated by crew served machine guns, but is unnerved by HE. The M2 and M240 typically will not dislodge enemy fighters from their positions. 40mm HE, mortars and CAS will"

To my eyes this undescores the stupidity shown in the UK Army since before I was born, which has repeatedly (WW1, WW2, GW1, GW2, AFG) found itself procuring short-range, squad/pl level indirect fire HE wpns (like muzzle launched grenades or UGLs) only after it has been committed to combat.

Such weapons are tactical essentials, which should be held in the armoury and used in training in peacetime, not repeatedly rushed into service each time there is a fight looming (or, worse still - actually in progress).
  8. Great point! Our fellows at the pointy end need and deserve full tool kits and the training to go with it before being committed. Company level explosive weapons from grenades to rocket launchers and smaller caliber mortars are absolutely vital.
  9. I didn't think your boys have ever been short of these tools - at least not since the 60s, have they?

But I'll betcha that our Army will decommission all the Infantry's UGLs at the earliest possible opportunity. . . . . and then (with its customary look of surprise) go through the same rediscovery loop whenever next the fertiliser strikes the airconditioner . . . .
  10. Do we still have RGGS in service (although I’d be loath to ask the guys on the ground to carry even more)? Did it ever see use in combat? I dimly recall seeing someone say they only arrived after Basra was taken.
  11. No RGs still in service as far as I know.

I was thrown a RG carrier pouch thing (zips onto the bergan?) years ago. I thought that they'd fallen out of use after the 'ENERGA'. Told at the time that we were using a French one as a stopgap before 'something else' arrived. Never actually saw this Frog RG though.

UGL all the way ever since.
  12. Back in the 80s there was a long-running procurement effort to develop an infantry CLose Assault Weapon (CLAW). IIRC correctly, one of the options considered was a rifle grenade of some sort. Sadly, as with so many of our procurement things, the authors of the spec (which never seemed to settle down) insisted - as did those responsible for setting the all-up size/weight and min/max ranges for the 51mm mortar* - on defying the laws of physics, and the procurement effort procured nothing.

Then the Army was crashed outfor GW1 - and bullet trap grenades were hurriedly purchased from Israel. I do not think any were used in anger, and they were 'wasted out' after Granby.

If for GW2 another system (RGGS is a new abbreviation to me) was belatedly fielded, it is news to me (I had in mind the current issue UGL thing) it simply serves to reinforce my point.

All the evidence says these things should be standard issue: yet it seems that every time we go to war, we hurriedly buy a new one - and bin it ASAP afterwards.

Stupid, in the extreme.
    *Get someone who understands simple ballistics to explain why the 51mm Mortar came into service with a thing called 'The Short-Range Insert' bundled with it.

13. I remember reading that it was the UGLs or the ammunition for them that arrived only after Basra was taken.

What is the verdict on the 60mm mortar now in service? The hand-held one I mean?
  14. I don't know about the UK one, but we in the USMC have always loved the 60mm as the company commander's "hip pocket" artillery.