USMC Sniper Team in Close Fight in Afghanistan

jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Recce19 said:
A very good and interesting artical; thank you JJ.

Just one question, why were a sniper team so close to terry? I would assume that their primary effectiveness, is negated by being up close.

This is in no way a dig at them, just a very curious ex squaddie.

I wondered the same thing--especially curious as to why one had a 12 bore shotgun too.
Not supprised as you need to cover most scinarios.
I was anti tank and carried a can opener as back up!!

Can opener? BLUIDDY CAN OPENER? Looxury! We 'ad to shove tyre iron t'rough t' drive wheel as it went past blah blah... :wink:

A drive wheel? All we had were our boots. (your turn! :D )

Boots? Looxury! We used t' shove passing Marine oop exhaust pipe, they didn't 'alf squeal, like... :wink:

Fair one. Still trying to think of a better one. :lol:

Apparently the UK Home Guard were actually supposed to use tyre irons against Panzers like that, and the WW2 'Brisbane Line' tank traps are, supposedly, still in place (they were lengths of hardwood dug into the ground at an angle). I doubt that either method would have worked too well- desperate times, desperate measures... 8O

auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Recce19 said:

Just one question, why were a sniper team so close to terry? I would assume that their primary effectiveness, is negated by being up close.

I wondered the same thing--especially curious as to why one had a 12 bore shotgun too.

Can opener? BLUIDDY CAN OPENER? Looxury! We 'ad to shove tyre iron t'rough t' drive wheel as it went past blah blah... :wink:

Boots? Looxury! We used t' shove passing Marine oop exhaust pipe, they didn't 'alf squeal, like... :wink:

Apparently the UK Home Guard were actually supposed to use tyre irons against Panzers like that, and the WW2 'Brisbane Line' tank traps are, supposedly, still in place (they were lengths of hardwood dug into the ground at an angle). I doubt that either method would have worked too well- desperate times, desperate measures... 8O

Indeed-reminds me also of the sticky bombs that had a bad habit of attaching themselves to the poor squaddie trying to throw it at the tank

jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
jumpinjarhead said:
auscam said:
glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Recce19 said:

Indeed-reminds me also of the sticky bombs that had a bad habit of attaching themselves to the poor squaddie trying to throw it at the tank

There's a thread that mentions that somewhere here. I contributed a link about the handheld WW2 German magnetic AT mine 'Haftsomethingsomething 3' Fancy trying to attach that to an attacking tank in mid-battle without getting shot/crushed! BRRRR!

auscam said:
[
There's a thread that mentions that somewhere here. I contributed a link about the handheld WW2 German magnetic AT mine 'Haftsomethingsomething 3' Fancy trying to attach that to an attacking tank in mid-battle without getting shot/crushed! BRRRR!

Exactly. As the Brits are wont to say "needs must..."

Achilles_Toe

War Hero
jumpinjarhead said:
Aunty Stella said:
Look up "overstated"

No disrespect to the guys mentioned, they did it and got the Tshirt, but you sound like someone pushing movie rights.

No wonder we take the mickey out of the sceptics, and the Marines in particular, if you are so all so insecure that you have to make a mini series out of every engagement.

Thanks for your opinion. I think it is spelled septic actually. You can generalize if makes you feel better.

Cheers Mate.
Wth you on that one Aunty Stella

Achilles_Toe said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Aunty Stella said:
Look up "overstated"

No disrespect to the guys mentioned, they did it and got the Tshirt, but you sound like someone pushing movie rights.

No wonder we take the mickey out of the sceptics, and the Marines in particular, if you are so all so insecure that you have to make a mini series out of every engagement.

Thanks for your opinion. I think it is spelled septic actually. You can generalize if makes you feel better.

Cheers Mate.

Apparently you read the post in spite of the warning so you have only yourself to blame. :D

glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
duffdike said:
The Americans call anyone who can shoot straight a "sniper". In the break out from Normandy Monty banned the use of the word "sniper" entirely.

Hold on there DD. Perhaps some Americans do that (I would be willing to bet that not a few Brits do the same) but I can assure you that US forces know the difference. Of course using your standard of shooting straight to be a sniper, I suppose every US Marine would be a sniper! Cheers. :D
I have a mate on the WBA footy board i moderate on.
He is from the West Midlands moved to US joined the Marines now a US citizen.
Knows his stuff.
Put it this way glad we on same side?

WBA = WussBall Association?

My unit was attached to 1st MARDIV in 2003--don't--whatever you do--DO NOT--excessively praise the USMC.

You'll find yourself subjected to hourly conversations comparing them with the Army, talk about Korea and the Chosin thing-ma-jig, and on. And on. And on.

I must say my proudest moment was when my CO mentioned the anniversary of the largest amphibious landing ever completed in front of the 1st MARDIV COC. The date was June 6th, 2003. :twisted:

[The dirty little secret is that they are more like the Army then they'll ever admit.] :twisted:

Virgil said:
glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
duffdike said:
The Americans call anyone who can shoot straight a "sniper". In the break out from Normandy Monty banned the use of the word "sniper" entirely.

Hold on there DD. Perhaps some Americans do that (I would be willing to bet that not a few Brits do the same) but I can assure you that US forces know the difference. Of course using your standard of shooting straight to be a sniper, I suppose every US Marine would be a sniper! Cheers. :D
Knows his stuff.

My unit was attached to 1st MARDIV in 2003--don't--whatever you do--DO NOT--excessively praise the USMC.

You'll find yourself subjected to hourly conversations comparing them with the Army, talk about Korea and the Chosin thing-ma-jig, and on. And on. And on.

I must say my proudest moment was when my CO mentioned the anniversary of the largest amphibious landing ever completed in front of the 1st MARDIV COC. The date was June 6th, 2003. :twisted:

[The dirty little secret is that they are more like the Army then they'll ever admit.] :twisted:

Cut to the quick...... :cry:

Achilles_Toe

War Hero
jumpinjarhead said:
Achilles_Toe said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Aunty Stella said:
Look up "overstated"

Cheers Mate.
Apparently you read the post in spite of the warning so you have only yourself to blame. :D
:D IMHO everyone is entitled to an opinion and opinions are like Arrseholes, everyones got one:D

jumpinjarhead said:
Virgil said:
glosterbaggie said:
jumpinjarhead said:
duffdike said:

Knows his stuff.

Cut to the quick...... :cry:

I don't know what they do to you guys, but bitchin' about the Army is a sport in the USMC as far as I can tell. Daily, I mean DAILY, someone from Mattis himself to some Gunny would say something negative about the Army or an Army unit.

I'll never forget when 3ID bypassed Karbala during the invasion some of the Marines where questioning why the Army didn't take the town and how it would fall to them to do the Army's work.

The 3ID LNO and I looked at each other shaking our heads--we'd been trying to explain that the town was full of dismounts and using a Mech unit to take it while the main force was further on was a waste.

God bless those Marines, they wanted to fight Haji every damn place he could be located, they have no hesitation throwing infantry at just about anything.

Fallschirmjager said:
That's the point. When you've been in a few of those situations, reading someone else's accounts of it isn't particularly exciting unless it gives you a semi on. ARRSE could be full of stories from blokes accounts of combat but it isn't. Why do you think that is?

Don't want to spoil the book deals?

PS I claim zero combat time, I am a Cold War "warrior", but have done nearly 30 years.

I enjoyed JJH's dit.

Fred_Karno

Old-Salt
Good Initial Post.

Of course, if you don't want to read about the reality of Dismounted Close Combat as conducted by our most important ally in a theatre where we are ourselves decisively engaged, then don't read it.

Edited once due to Gin.

duffdike said:

Do you know anyone that can shoot a rifle "curvy"?

StickyEnd said:
duffdike said:

Do you know anyone that can shoot a rifle "curvy"?

This one is for Virgil--as a range officer at a range used by all services, I have seen many a dog face do that very thing. In fact, their rounds would often hit the target of some poor schmuck 10 firing points to his left or right. :D

Virgil said:
God bless those Marines, they wanted to fight Haji every damn place he could be located, they have no hesitation throwing infantry at just about anything.

Isn't that the point of the exercise? :D

Latest Threads