USMC orders new Colt 1911 as the new M45 pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by DavidBOC, Jul 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just saw this today. The USMC is reverting to the .45ACP round for their new sidearm, the M45. It is essentially a M1911 with bobbed hammer, beavertail and a Picatinny rail under the frame. Looks nice. The article does not mention the sort of barrel bushing it comes with.

Colt Awarded Contract from U.S. Marine Corps - Guns & Ammo
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

still only 7 rounds in the magazine?
  3. None of the articles I have seen say the number of rounds in the mag. It does have the ambidextrous safety I see.
  4. You don’t need 20 rounds in the mag if you hit what you’re aiming at.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. In that case I'd need a belt-fed .45. I've never been able to shoot decently with a 1911-style .45, and that includes Gold Cups and long-slide jobbies.
  6. So the army use 9mm but the marines .45? Seems like it will put extra arrse ache into the logistics chain. Why do they need a differant round to what the army use?
  7. I feel confident that it is a consideration that they've made. You may feel a little put-out that you weren't consulted, but I'm sure it's for the best of intentions.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Why would a Marine need more than 7 rounds? ;-)
    • Like Like x 5
  9. We prefer the more manly .45 over the metrosexual 9mm.
    • Like Like x 10
  10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

ah, compensating for something eh?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dont ask, dont tell?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. US Army SF also use the M1911A1. In 2005 10th group was kind enough to lend me one for 5 months. the ODA's use the .45
  13. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Meh. should have gone with.455 Webley, there's a moose stopper.
  14. We had a Schmuck shoot at us with a Webley. nickleplated, birds head grip, solid lead round nose bullets looked to be pre WWII, Shame about him, but he apparently though he could win a gunfight against 12 of us with a six shooter

He chose poorly
  15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fool he was, he would have still lost even if had one of the 1911s chambered in .455, more wrong weapon rather than round in that case. I'm glad you got out unscathed mate.