USMC looking at ‘stackable offensive grenade.

So far the USMC has only fielded defensive grenades, these potentially lethal to their own side. Offensive grenades relying on incapacitating blast effect less likely to cause blue on blue. The Nammo grenade is modular and can be ramped up in its effect depending upon the situation.

The Mark 21 Mod 0 grenade system developed by Norwegian armaments contractor Nammo is designed for use by attacking troops against enemy positions, subjecting them to concussive overpressure to stun or to kill.

Cylindrical the grenades can be stacked up to three at a time. Each has a fuse, but a stack of three can use a single fuse to create one large explosion. One Mark 21 grenade is filled with approximately 130 grains of explosive, that scales up to nearly 400 grains when three are linked, enough to kill and destroy structures.

The US Army was looking at these a while back but they may now have attracted USMC attention.

We looked at similar when considering the replacement for the L2 grenade, such things were dismissed as it would prove too confusing for the infantry.

So far the USMC has only fielded defensive grenades, these potentially lethal to their own side. Offensive grenades relying on incapacitating blast effect less likely to cause blue on blue. The Nammo grenade is modular and can be ramped up in its effect depending upon the situation.

The Mark 21 Mod 0 grenade system developed by Norwegian armaments contractor Nammo is designed for use by attacking troops against enemy positions, subjecting them to concussive overpressure to stun or to kill.

Cylindrical the grenades can be stacked up to three at a time. Each has a fuse, but a stack of three can use a single fuse to create one large explosion. One Mark 21 grenade is filled with approximately 130 grains of explosive, that scales up to nearly 400 grains when three are linked, enough to kill and destroy structures.

The US Army was looking at these a while back but they may now have attracted USMC attention.
Meh. The old German stick grenade came with a frag jacket option and could also be bundled. Not such a revolutionary advance after 75 years.

My comment from a US Facebook page that carried this story:

In twenty years time:

Park Ranger: “...and as we look across the rim of the Pendleton Crater, over 20 miles across...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We looked at similar when considering the replacement for the L2 grenade, such things were dismissed as it would prove too confusing for the infantry.
More like it would be irresistible to see how big a grenade you fit together irrespective of your ability to get rid of it before it went bang :)

TamH70

MIA
I swear one of the top British arms writers, it may have been Hogg, wrote one of those coffee table-sized books on warry matters about thirty-odd years ago, where grenades almost exactly like the ones JJH is describing were touted as the next big thing in hand-chucked explosive ordnance, though instead of LEGO-like attachment, you had the offensive explosive grenade core with a defensive fragmentation grenade sleeve that could be put on it.

According to Google, the Indians developed a dual-purpose grenade called the "Shivalik".

I swear one of the top British arms writers, it may have been Hogg, wrote one of those coffee table-sized books on warry matters about thirty-odd years ago, where grenades almost exactly like the ones JJH is describing were touted as the next big thing in hand-chucked explosive ordnance, though instead of LEGO-like attachment, you had the offensive explosive grenade core with a defensive fragmentation grenade sleeve that could be put on it.

According to Google, the Indians developed a dual-purpose grenade called the "Shivalik".
German DM51. It was also considered as an L2 replacement.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw it in some detail in Brassey's "Ammunition for the Land Battle", describing the German DM51 grenade.

ETA - curses, beaten to it by @dingerr...

gorillaguts981

War Hero
The spec quoted says 130 grains of bangstuff per grenade. I put 40 grains into every round I reload so that seems a bit light. 130 grams is about 4.6 ounces which would be nearer the mark. I bow to better informed correspondents.

HE117

LE
The spec quoted says 130 grains of bangstuff per grenade. I put 40 grains into every round I reload so that seems a bit light. 130 grams is about 4.6 ounces which would be nearer the mark. I bow to better informed correspondents.
I think you are probably right in that they have got the units wrong, however you are comparing apples and lemons here.. Grenades are usually* filled with high explosive, which detonates. You, I hope, are putting low explosive propellant in your reloads.. the two are not really comparable!

* Yes, I am aware that the US filled their grenades with rifle powder in the early stages of WW2. The idea was that it would produce better fragments from the cast iron body. They changed the fill later on in the war to HE as the local blast effect is probably more important in a grenade..

Back to the past . Rhodesians needed a blast offensive grenade / bunker clearance device. Some wag came up with the “ bunker buster” a cardboard or plastic grenade container as in what your grenade comes in . Depending on the job put in as much P4 as you think is enough. The stick in two Russian grenade fuses and bobs your bomb. Big blast in a confined area mr Terri is dead or his ears are bleeding and you just double tap.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
arfah US 3
Drlligaf US 6
Bravo_Bravo Weapons, Equipment & Rations 14

Latest Threads