USMC (?) in Umm Qasr Apr 2003: Saddam Wall

Discussion in 'US' started by, Nov 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

This wall and the picture on it have recently come into the Collection of the Imperial War Museum in London. We are trying to find out a bit more of the story behind it. It came back with the RAF and was offered to us, but are there any American Servicemen out there who know how it came to us, and which unit this is?

Many thanks.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The caption says US Naval unit, pretty large mob to choose from, dont worry some of the US Marines will be along shortly to pontificate!
  3. Yes I thought that was a rather vague description. Don't want to suggest it is definitely one sort of unit and it turns out it's not the Marines at all.
    From a previous incarnation I think I remember that being their rig, but any confirmation from our transatlantic cousins that would help know where to start trying to dig out the story...

4. There is one at the back to the left of the painting who appears to be wearing a USMC 'cover' (hat, to us ordinary mortals).
  5. I wouldn't bank on it, seeing as today is Thanksgiving... Tomorrow might be a better bet.
  6. Weren't USMC in their Marpat ACUs by then?