USMC in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice isn't a word I'd have used. Holy crap :(
  2. I wouldn't have described it as nice either. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that whoever said put the FOB in a spot surrounded by three steep sided mountains is a little bit silly? How on earth can they hope to control the area when movements in and out of the base are not only observed 24/7, but can be fired upon as soon as they're spotted? Scary times for those Marines, and the bloke washing his clothes sums it up in a way we're hearing all too often nowadays "These guys have been fighting here for years, they know the land, they know how to fight here. We're finding it a little more difficult." Best of luck guys, make it home safe!

BTB, anyone ident the heli at 10.40 in the video?
  3. Agreed. Makes it sound like another Vietnam.
  4. good footage, pretty scary to think i'll be in that position in 8-9 months time
  5. 8 or 9 months of constant incoming would do anyone's head in, I don't think those men were marines though,

dhgrainger1, I think the helicopter was a kiowa littlebird, but I could be wrong
  6. Cheers, on the right track with Kiowa, but it was an OH-58 Warrior. Amazing what a bit of Google can do!
  7. The Staffy they spoke to first was USMC. the BDU's he wore are marine uniform. US army wear that grey digicam stuff on ops in Afghan
  8. body armour and helmets were different though?
  9. looked like it had a little version of longbow on, might be to help out the apaches which didnt.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

OH-58/Kiowa is a bit of the same thing. A Bell Jetranger with improvements. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

9 Months of that is bound to be pretty crap. Hats off to them, it can't be much fun.

Agreed though, who sited it on the low ground?
  11. OMG, Who the hell thought of putting that FOB there?????????

3 Sides of hell for those USMC type bods! At least we Brits put our FOBs sort of no where near bloody big hills, those we do we control (ish).

Hats off and safe home to those involved!
  12. Thread edited to remove heavy handed attempts at ironic humour.

I don't think any of us there, or about to go over in the near future, have any illusions about the real picture.

That said , what genius thought of siting the FOB in that location?
  13. Same guy who thought coming of that hill to chase William's lot at the Battle of Hastings was a good idea :D
  14. just be pleased that gordon doesn't have any input...