USMC focus on security a model for success in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was going to post this in the usual Afghan fighting thread but since it touches on a good deal of what many posters have been contending is needed for the COIN effort in Afghan I thought I would put it in a separate thread. Also note it appeared int the Washington Post--not noted in recent years for its journalistic objectivity.

2. Thanks again jj, I think it's a good and also balanced article, in that it explains that success is fragile (and why).

The efforts the marines are engaging in to provide security seem to be by the book, and with an "Unusually" competent district governor, the next step must be to provide essential services to the population.

Let's hope they will now reinforce their success and not get too eager, too early. Before expanding the secured area, or drawing down in Nawa iot expand to another town or area, they must make sure there are static troops (ANA and ANP or local militia) able to hold their own with a little help in Nawa.

So that's one oil spot...

3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Judging by the general lack of news about Helmand in the last month or so, and although I have not graphed it, it seems to me as if UK casualty figures are significnatly down, it would appear that the USMC deployment was the tipping point.

But as Sun notes - this is one ink spot.

Moreover, it's all about time. You can restore basic services in a month or two, but getting the people to start living the habits, and seeing the benefits, of stability and peace will take much longer.

4. Too true. I would also not be at all surprised if the the word has not gone out from on "high" in DC for the troops to be a bit more conservative while the politicians wring their dirty hands about how to avoid giving McChrystal what he asked for and be able to blame the evil Bush or some other fall guy. It simply would not do politically for something really bad to happen in the interim--a few soldiers or Marines here or there is of course acceptable.

5. Taliban mightve gone back to The enemy advances, we retreat. Just another phase in the time strategy of guerilla warfare? You have the watch but they have the time.

6. "Tache d'huil" - oil spot according to Marechal Lyautey. I have used ink spot as well.

What matters is that the Durand line is about 2,640 kilometers (1,610 miles) long, and there is scope for a lot of fall back positions. The good news is that now the Pakistanis appear serious about doing something from their side, there is more of a hide and SEEK game on.

The US call this the AfPak war for good reason, one has to straddle the Durand - "hammer and anvil" anyone?

7. Afraid that might offend sensibilities--now called "rubber mallet and pillow."

8. Just as "focused lethality" very quickly became "low collateral damage" !

9. What difference a few words can make. :D