• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

USMC Cannon cockers get 22 mile arty kill

"Golf Battery, 2nd Battalion, 11th Marines, out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., dropped the 155mm M982 Excalibur round on insurgents 36 kilometers away — more than 22 miles"

Sounds like things are going downhill in California?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Nice. What's the flight time for one of those rounds at that distance I wonder? You'd have to be sure your target wasn't going to get up and walk away once you'd called it in!

Nice. What's the flight time for one of those rounds at that distance I wonder? You'd have to be sure your target wasn't going to get up and walk away once you'd called it in!
The round is gps guided and it can track armour an.d change it's course, probably not for terry but perhaps they called in the rounds once thet set up for the night.

For me one of the most amazing things is that the on board electronics survive something like 12000 g forces on firing and to fu2 they are capable of tracking and avoiding blue on blue, so long as you know where they are?!

Looking at the picture in the link 2 thoughts come to mind:
1. Other people pose for pictures with their kids in their arms.
2. The troops in that Unit don't need to do weight training.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Not to be missed is the vast saving in ammunition which has to be transported, stored, handled etc.

Oh that we had ships capable of carrying a gun of this calibre ... but in that department it's been a pop-gun navy since the 70s.

wasnt this system on the Future weapons show a couple of years back ? good to see the end result is working well !
I saw that, they curved a round across the range , like a banana kick but with artillery.

The link says its a Raytheon round though, I thought future weapons said it was all bae?

Latest Threads