USMC Battalion commander earns Silver Star

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Red Shrek, Feb 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battalion commander earns Silver Star

Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) — A Marine Corps officer has been awarded the Silver Star medal for valor in battles that ended with about 45 insurgents dead during the second battle of Fallujah.
    Lt. Col. Todd Desgrosseilliers said his thoughts during the engagement were simple: “Protect the Marines, and then kill the enemy — pretty much in that order.”

Desgrosseilliers is commander of the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment and his entire battalion stood in formation Friday when he was given the medal.

He was executive officer of another battalion at the time of the battles and was following about 100 Marines as they went into Fallujah on Dec. 12, 2004. Several of the Marines were trapped in a house as insurgents threw grenades from a top story onto troops outside, including Desgrosseilliers.

The 42-year-old officer shielded two Marines with his body, then led troops into the house where 15 of the enemy were killed.

Eleven days later, Desgrosseilliers’ Marines were fired on by insurgents in another house and he helped pull a wounded man to safety.

Desgrosseilliers, wounded in the leg, ordered a tank assault that killed 30 insurgents.

Dogface:correction noted.

2. Respect to the guy. Well done.

3. Well done, that man. A true hero.

I suggest most officers look at this guy to understand how it is really done! Too many desk jockey officers nowadays (in both UK and US armies).

4. Manchester_Rogue

Click on Iraq’s perilous airport road ( in the Related video section under the video screen. ) This is only like a third of the broadcast piece I wish I could find the whole piece. The Louisiana guardsmen are actually a company of the 156th infantry regiment, 256th separate infantry brigade (mechanized) ithe clip says 19 deaths but i think the batalion had 11 deaths.

5. Yeah good.

Supports my argument though doesn't it. Most officers, especially UK officers, wouldn't be seen dead in a scenario like that.

That officer has balls and the compulsion to lead by example. Name one British army officer of rank of Brigadier and upwards who does that?

6. Correct me if I`m wrong, but isn`t he a Lt Col, same rank as H Jones, VC?

7. The majority of teeth arm General Staff Officers completed high profile special duties or special forces tours when more junior: fact.

Are you really suggesting that the Brigade commander lead company/battalion attacks? Wise up, that's not what they are there for.

There are numerous examples of British junior and field officers 'leading by example' and putting themselves in harm's way in Iraq. Stop being so chippy.