USMC ‘Devil Dog’ term taking a beating!

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Here's one for the ARRSE Devil Dog, to bad it wasn't him taking the beating! :twisted: :lol:

‘Devil Dog’ term taking a beating

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Apr 28, 2008 22:27:46 EDT

Listen up, Devil Dogs. Oh yeah, that got your attention. Perhaps it even got your blood boiling? Or maybe you didn’t notice the big double-D.

Lately, reactions to the Corps’ longtime nickname generally depend on the age of the Marine listening.

A generational divide is opening around the term “Devil Dog,” which came into use 90 years ago on the battlefields of France. While it’s been a term of colloquial endearment for generations of leathernecks, some of the newest and youngest Marines say they’re tired of being called Devil Dogs. They even take offense at the term.

That came as a surprise to former Staff Sgt. Glenn Kirst, a 34-year-old financial advisor in Milwaukee who joined the Corps in 1991 and spent 10 years on active duty. He was out shopping with his girlfriend a few weeks ago when the pair passed a Marine in the parking lot of a Best Buy store.

Kirst grinned and nodded at the Marine, sporting a “USMC” T-shirt and close-cropped hair as he walked with a girlfriend.

“I said ‘Hey, there’s another Devil Dog,’” Kirst recalled. The Marine gave him a blank stare and the Marine’s girlfriend got angry. “She started shouting at me. ‘Before you make a comment like that, why don’t you grow some f---ing balls and serve your country.’

2. Trippy,

You have no understanding of our culture so stay out of it.

Being called devil dog by someone who is not a US Marine tends to jar the nerves of real Marines. Just like being called a 'jarhead' is not particularly complimentary when it comes from someone who is not a Marine.

No Marine would dare call someone above their rank a 'devil dog' or a 'jarhead.'

Best way to spot a non-Marine wanna be? They will call a Marine devil dog. Without the slightest clue what it means.

Both titles have to be earned, Mr Trippy.

Obviously the story in the article is a volcano in a teapot. If it is to be believed, then it is clear that the girlfriend overreacted to the situation.

Maybe Staff Sgt. Glenn Kirst does not drip of "Mariness" anymore and came out sounding like a dick. Maybe that is why the guy's girlfriend (not the Marine mind you) reacted like she did.

All Marines like being called devil dogs. But you have to do it right.

You have to be a Marine to call them...

devil dog.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pair of puffters should have fought it out there and then instead of whinging about it, or better let the girls fight it out, video and post!
  4. I think we are twins...
  5. Being Maureens they were probably so far up their own arrses they had trouble sniffing each other's to see if they were 'Devil Dogs'
  6. didnt realise you lot had a "culture" to speak of...oh well you live and learn. :roll:
  7. First time I heard the term was in Hawaii. Could hardly contain myself. All I had was a vision of the goggle wearing LT in Heart Break ridge towards the end of the flick. :D
  8. Sir! All clear now Sir! You have to be a marine to 'earn' the right to call another marine 'devil dog' or 'jarhead', Sir! :salut:

Can we still call them tosser? :D
  9. I did my US jumps with the 504TH Parachute Infantry, their nickname was 'The Devils in Baggy Pants'! Much better than being called a Devil Dog I imagine!
  10. So lets see if I have this right.

US marines are Devil Dogs?

This means they are all reject sons of bitches?

Always wondered about that. :)
  11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

The same source for the name, but a different war. :wink:
  12. Are you saying the 504th PARACHUTE infantry earned it's nickname in the First World War?

" World War I during the 1918 Château-Thierry campaign near the French village of Bouresches, Marines assaulted a line of German machine-gun nests on an old hunting preserve known as Belleau Wood. The fighting was terrible. Those Marines who weren't cut down by the enemy guns captured the nests in a grisly close-quarters battle. The shocked Germans nicknamed their foes, teufelhunden [sic] (devil dogs)."

Edited to add:
    Eeedjit. thought I was being clever there :oops:
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"Are you saying the 504th PARACHUTE infantry earned it's nickname in the First World War?"

No, I didn't say that. I did say the same source (Germans) but a different war (WWII) then the Devil Dog name WW1 which was established in the link.

Read it again! :wink:
  14. Fascinating.
  15. Seems anyone who gave the Hermans a particularly hard time were referred to in diabolic terms, hence...
    "Red Devils" - Para Reg
    "Yellow Devils" - 43rd (Wessex) Div

In the case of the Wessex Div, the term might more properly have been applied to the GOC - WHO WAS THE DEVIL! :twisted: