• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

USMC ‘Devil Dog’ term taking a beating!

Here's one for the ARRSE Devil Dog, to bad it wasn't him taking the beating! :twisted: :lol:

‘Devil Dog’ term taking a beating

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Apr 28, 2008 22:27:46 EDT

Listen up, Devil Dogs. Oh yeah, that got your attention. Perhaps it even got your blood boiling? Or maybe you didn’t notice the big double-D.

Lately, reactions to the Corps’ longtime nickname generally depend on the age of the Marine listening.

A generational divide is opening around the term “Devil Dog,” which came into use 90 years ago on the battlefields of France. While it’s been a term of colloquial endearment for generations of leathernecks, some of the newest and youngest Marines say they’re tired of being called Devil Dogs. They even take offense at the term.

That came as a surprise to former Staff Sgt. Glenn Kirst, a 34-year-old financial advisor in Milwaukee who joined the Corps in 1991 and spent 10 years on active duty. He was out shopping with his girlfriend a few weeks ago when the pair passed a Marine in the parking lot of a Best Buy store.

Kirst grinned and nodded at the Marine, sporting a “USMC” T-shirt and close-cropped hair as he walked with a girlfriend.

“I said ‘Hey, there’s another Devil Dog,’” Kirst recalled. The Marine gave him a blank stare and the Marine’s girlfriend got angry. “She started shouting at me. ‘Before you make a comment like that, why don’t you grow some f---ing balls and serve your country.’

Link:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2008/04/marine_devildog_042708w/

Trippy,

You have no understanding of our culture so stay out of it.

Being called devil dog by someone who is not a US Marine tends to jar the nerves of real Marines. Just like being called a 'jarhead' is not particularly complimentary when it comes from someone who is not a Marine.

No Marine would dare call someone above their rank a 'devil dog' or a 'jarhead.'

Best way to spot a non-Marine wanna be? They will call a Marine devil dog. Without the slightest clue what it means.

Both titles have to be earned, Mr Trippy.

Obviously the story in the article is a volcano in a teapot. If it is to be believed, then it is clear that the girlfriend overreacted to the situation.

Maybe Staff Sgt. Glenn Kirst does not drip of "Mariness" anymore and came out sounding like a dick. Maybe that is why the guy's girlfriend (not the Marine mind you) reacted like she did.

All Marines like being called devil dogs. But you have to do it right.

You have to be a Marine to call them...

devil dog.

ugly

LE
Pair of puffters should have fought it out there and then instead of whinging about it, or better let the girls fight it out, video and post!

ugly said:
Pair of puffters should have fought it out there and then instead of whinging about it, or better let the girls fight it out, video and post!
Being Maureens they were probably so far up their own arrses they had trouble sniffing each other's to see if they were 'Devil Dogs'

Devil_Dog said:
Trippy,

You have no understanding of our culture so stay out of it.

Being called devil dog by someone who is not a US Marine tends to jar the nerves of real Marines. Just like being called a 'jarhead' is not particularly complimentary when it comes from someone who is not a Marine.

No Marine would dare call someone above their rank a 'devil dog' or a 'jarhead.'

Best way to spot a non-Marine wanna be? They will call a Marine devil dog. Without the slightest clue what it means.

Both titles have to be earned, Mr Trippy.

Obviously the story in the article is a volcano in a teapot. If it is to be believed, then it is clear that the girlfriend overreacted to the situation.

Maybe Staff Sgt. Glenn Kirst does not drip of "Mariness" anymore and came out sounding like a dick. Maybe that is why the guy's girlfriend (not the Marine mind you) reacted like she did.

All Marines like being called devil dogs. But you have to do it right.

You have to be a Marine to call them...

devil dog.
didnt realise you lot had a "culture" to speak of...oh well you live and learn. :roll:

First time I heard the term was in Hawaii. Could hardly contain myself. All I had was a vision of the goggle wearing LT in Heart Break ridge towards the end of the flick. :D

Sir! All clear now Sir! You have to be a marine to 'earn' the right to call another marine 'devil dog' or 'jarhead', Sir! :salut:

Can we still call them tosser? :D

I did my US jumps with the 504TH Parachute Infantry, their nickname was 'The Devils in Baggy Pants'! Much better than being called a Devil Dog I imagine!

So lets see if I have this right.

US marines are Devil Dogs?

This means they are all reject sons of bitches?

Always wondered about that. :)

jack-daniels said:
I did my US jumps with the 504TH Parachute Infantry, their nickname was 'The Devils in Baggy Pants'! Much better than being called a Devil Dog I imagine!
The same source for the name, but a different war. :wink:

Are you saying the 504th PARACHUTE infantry earned it's nickname in the First World War?

"...in World War I during the 1918 Château-Thierry campaign near the French village of Bouresches, Marines assaulted a line of German machine-gun nests on an old hunting preserve known as Belleau Wood. The fighting was terrible. Those Marines who weren't cut down by the enemy guns captured the nests in a grisly close-quarters battle. The shocked Germans nicknamed their foes, teufelhunden [sic] (devil dogs)."

Edited to add:
Eeedjit. thought I was being clever there :oops:

Jelly_Fish:

Quote:

"Are you saying the 504th PARACHUTE infantry earned it's nickname in the First World War?"

No, I didn't say that. I did say the same source (Germans) but a different war (WWII) then the Devil Dog name WW1 which was established in the link.

Read it again! :wink:

Seems anyone who gave the Hermans a particularly hard time were referred to in diabolic terms, hence...
"Red Devils" - Para Reg
"Yellow Devils" - 43rd (Wessex) Div

In the case of the Wessex Div, the term might more properly have been applied to the GOC - WHO WAS THE DEVIL! :twisted:

Devil Dogs, my ass half of the USMC are so myopic they make Mr Maggo look like a paragon of visual accruity, if the coke bottle lens glasses are anything to go by.
The other half are muscle bound morons (see 'HuRah' or similar BS, etc etc) with the stamina of an asthmatic paraplegic.
Saw a Platoon of them try the Tarzan Assault course at Lympstone, never seen so much vomit and crying in my life except in the ladies toilet of The 'Golden Quaich' in Arbroath on a Saturday night*.

*(I'm not going to go into details about that either a gentleman doesn't kiss and tell. :twisted: )

Pitswamper said:
Devil Dogs, my ass half of the USMC are so myopic they make Mr Maggo look like a paragon of visual accruity, if the coke bottle lens glasses are anything to go by.
The other half are muscle bound morons (see 'HuRah' or similar BS, etc etc) with the stamina of an asthmatic paraplegic.
Saw a Platoon of them try the Tarzan Assault course at Lympstone, never seen so much vomit and crying in my life except in the ladies toilet of The 'Golden Quaich' in Arbroath on a Saturday night*.

*(I'm not going to go into details about that either a gentleman doesn't kiss and tell. :twisted: )
Listen chump,

Look in the mirror one of these fine days and you will see a mong who vomits and cries and vomits so much, especially in the ladies toilet of The 'Golden Quaich' in Arbroath on a Saturday night, that the rest of you tossers will throw up your arms and say: Devil Dogs, you feckers are simply the best.

Every time I used to hear it I'd immediatley get a mental image of Mutley sitting behind Dick Dasterdly chasing that pesky pigeon.

Suppose the medal situation was similar though.

Wessex_Man said:
Seems anyone who gave the Hermans a particularly hard time were referred to in diabolic terms, hence...
"Red Devils" - Para Reg
"Yellow Devils" - 43rd (Wessex) Div

In the case of the Wessex Div, the term might more properly have been applied to the GOC - WHO WAS THE DEVIL! :twisted:
'Black Devils' First Special Service Force!

'Devils in Baggy Pants' US Paratroopers!

Devil_Dog said:
Pitswamper said:

Listen chump,

Look in the mirror one of these fine days and you will see a mong who vomits and cries and vomits so much, especially in the ladies toilet of The 'Golden Quaich' in Arbroath on a Saturday night, that the rest of you tossers will throw up your arms and say: Devil Dogs, you feckers are simply the best.
Dream on sweet cheeks.
I served 9 years in the Royal Marines, in that time I had the 'pleasure' of having a USMC Gunnery Sergeant as my Troop Ossifer in training who fell asleep on 2 night exercises, worked with USMC on exercises on Norway who were so gullible that it defied belief and saw members of the Guard detail from US Embassy in LOndon performing their regurgitation skills. Also at this time, prior to GW1 the USMC held the World Record for deaths inflicted by toppling Coke machines due to Marines attempting to get free sugar rushes by tipping the machines DOH. truely inspiring.
All in all i was more impressed with Dutch Marines than your mob.

Latest Threads