USMA Uniform question

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just idly wondering whether previous enlisted service cadets at West Point (or the other commission-awarding institutions) wear CIBs, airborne wings, Ranger tabs and other stuff on cadet uniforms - and, if entitled, right-sleeve combat patches on combat kit. Anyone know?

Looks like a CIB, para and air assault wings:

Just idly wondering whether previous enlisted service cadets at West Point (or the other commission-awarding institutions) wear CIBs, airborne wings, Ranger tabs and other stuff on cadet uniforms - and, if entitled, right-sleeve combat patches on combat kit. Anyone know?
Yes, all three of the service academies follow that practice. Previous enlisted are entitled to wear earned awards on their cadet uniforms, combat patches on combat kit not so much.

As others have mentioned, previous enlisted service cadets may wear medals and badges of skill or specialization on their cadet uniforms. I'm not so sure about the right sleeve combat patch though, even if entitled to one. When I was stationed at a base in northern NJ, I had numerous visits to the USMA at West Point, and I never saw any cadet wearing a combat patch in BDUs. They wore the ubiquitous USMA patch on the left sleeve, as did everyone else who was permanently stationed at the academy.
USMA Patch.jpg

Yes.

I jumped with the kid's from West Point, a couple of them had been plucked from the ranks to attend West Point*. The lad I chatted with most was airborne, a Cpl who had been plucked from the ranks for continually demonstrating auspicious behaviour in actions in Iraq - so the others told me. He had a cloth wing on his official jump overall and doubtless had his full rack and CIB on his cadet dress uniform.

I also met a group of West Point Cadets at a function where they were all proudly wearing one of the many flavours of Thai jump wing on their uniforms. When asked they told me that they had been over to Thailand and during their stay had been invited to do a basic course with the Thai's.

It is also an informal tradition with many of the West Pointers who are going infantry to attend the jump school at Fort Benning during their summer vacation to get their jump wing. This then allows them to attend the Ranger course the next year before graduating and reporting to their unit as a newly minted, airborne and Ranger qualified officer.

Note: * Getting into West Point is a big deal, a really big deal, to quote Trump; "A huge deal". Ordinarily an up through the ranks soldier would attend one of the Green to Gold course's made up of similar individuals. To have an application considered for West Point you need to minimally get the signature and endorsement of a US Congressman - a couple of Generals, or an Admirals, or a Senator, etc, will also suffice.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes.

I jumped with the kid's from West Point, a couple of them had been plucked from the ranks to attend West Point*. The lad I chatted with most was airborne, a Cpl who had been plucked from the ranks for continually demonstrating auspicious behaviour in actions in Iraq - so the others told me. He had a cloth wing on his official jump overall and doubtless had his full rack and CIB on his cadet dress uniform.

I also met a group of West Point Cadets at a function where they were all proudly wearing one of the many flavours of Thai jump wing on their uniforms. When asked they told me that they had been over to Thailand and during their stay had been invited to do a basic course with the Thai's.

It is also an informal tradition with many of the West Pointers who are going infantry to attend the jump school at Fort Benning during their summer vacation to get their jump wing. This then allows them to attend the Ranger course the next year before graduating and reporting to their unit as a newly minted, airborne and Ranger qualified officer.

Note: * Getting into West Point is a big deal, a really big deal, to quote Trump; "A huge deal". Ordinarily an up through the ranks soldier would attend one of the Green to Gold course's made up of similar individuals. To have an application considered for West Point you need to minimally get the signature and endorsement of a US Congressman - a couple of Generals, or an Admirals, or a Senator, etc, will also suffice.
Thanks, that's very useful. I was very much aware of how tough it is to get a WP appointment, having known a couple of dudes in the past who'd made it to the Hudson River High School For Delinquent Youth as, respectively, E5 and E6 types through the prep school. Both were sensible enough to go MI, although one was prior service in the Ranger regiment and had more than enough badges and stuff to be going on with, even in th 90s.

Thanks, that's very useful. I was very much aware of how tough it is to get a WP appointment, having known a couple of dudes in the past who'd made it to the Hudson River High School For Delinquent Youth as, respectively, E5 and E6 types through the prep school. Both were sensible enough to go MI, although one was prior service in the Ranger regiment and had more than enough badges and stuff to be going on with, even in th 90s.
Rangers is hard stuff, especially if being promoted and wanting to stay with the Regiment. From what I was told they have to go through Ranger selection to get in initially, then if they leave and want to return, or are going to be promoted within the Regt. they have to go through it again - displaying rank appropriate behaviours. They also 360 assess everyone on the course with staff and students having input into individuals assessments - ie. "is this man capable of leading", and "do I want to be led by this NCO/officer"?

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Rangers is hard stuff, especially if being promoted and wanting to stay with the Regiment. From what I was told they have to go through Ranger selection to get in initially, then if they leave and want to return, or are going to be promoted within the Regt. they have to go through it again - displaying rank appropriate behaviours. They also 360 assess everyone on the course with staff and students having input individuals assessments - ie. "is this man capable of leading", and "do I want to be led by this NCO/officer"?
I know, beast of a thing. The course itself is hard enough (one friend of mine who did well on it is, I swear, suffering more PTSD from that, 20 years ago, than from spending the intervening time breaking stuff and killing people) and pretty much required for infantry officers - and as for making it into the Regiment, through RIP and all the other bullshit, it's hard core in the extreme - and, as you say, the need to do the whole fucking thing over again when you promote between groups (JNCO/SNCO/Junior Officer/Field Officer) is a real sickener.

Yes, they can and do

I know, beast of a thing. The course itself is hard enough (one friend of mine who did well on it is, I swear, suffering more PTSD from that, 20 years ago, than from spending the intervening time breaking stuff and killing people) and pretty much required for infantry officers - and as for making it into the Regiment, through RIP and all the other bullshit, it's hard core in the extreme - and, as you say, the need to do the whole fucking thing over again when you promote between groups (JNCO/SNCO/Junior Officer/Field Officer) is a real sickener.
Ranger school is a cross-service leadership school through which one earns their Ranger Tab. Infantry officers go through Ranger Assesment and Selection Program-2 which is the training program for entry into the 75th Ranger Regiment, but not the full blown Ranger course.
This change was made in 2010 and replaced the previous Ranger Orientation Program for officers.

TRAINING Infantry officer (11a)

Job training for an infantry officer requires completion of the Basic Officer Leadership Courses I, II & III. These courses will emphasize leadership, tactics and technical competence that are common to the infantry. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.

Infantry officers can also volunteer for airborne and ranger school or for specific developmental assignments in airborne and ranger units.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rampant The Intelligence Cell 5
C Army Reserve 16
polar Army Reserve 13