Using Tiscali Router for sky broadband?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by EX_STAB, Jun 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently gone from Tiscali (who ripped me off) to Sky.

The Tiscali router wasn't brilliant but I generally got a wireless connection anywhere in the house. It is a Thomson one.

The Sky router is a SAGEM and doesn't have the power to get a reliable signal through the house. The house has some very thick walls.

I would like to use the Tiscali router for my sky service but it won't connect. I suspect that the number it dials is pre-programmed into it.

Any suggestions short of buying yet another router?
  2. Mm. Not really sure, but I think there may be new firmware available that will allow you to flash your router to allow you to connect to Sky. Try a Google search for your router's make and model number and software version and you should be able to find stuff that may be helpful.
    Of course this does assume you can connect to the net at someplace like a library if you have no net access at home, and they will allow you to download software. When I had to do the updating thing with bits of my hardware, the local library usually had no problems, as long as any medium I used to store downloaded files was virus checked.

3. Hi,

Ermmm in a word no!
    I asked sky this question when i signed up with them.
    as i understand it with sky you dont actually get a username and password , all you get is the sky router plug in and away you go!
    Although thinking about it if you are on "sky connect" ie sky havent got there own kit in your local exchange then it may be possible.

Kind regards

4. It can be done.

1. This site is strictly for informational purposes only. If you choose to make use of the information provided by this site, you do so at your own risk.

2. Using a router other than the one provided to you by Sky constitutes a breach of the terms and conditions which you agreed to when you entered into a contract with Sky. It is entirely possible for Sky to detect not only the MAC address of the router you are using, but also the make and model number, and Sky may take a range of actions against you, including suspension of service, either immediately or at some point in the future.

3. If you decide to use your own router, you should be sufficiently competent to understand how to use it and how to resolve any problems that may occur. Sky will most definitely not provide you with any assistance, and whilst you may be able to get help from community-based forums, that is by no means guaranteed. To put it simply, if once you've obtained your router user name and password, you need help settings things up, then you shouldn't be using your own router.

4. It is possible that Sky may, at some point in the future, introduce changes to their broadband service that render the information given on this website incorrect and ineffective.

5. If you are having problems with your Sky router you are strongly advised to investigate alternative ways of resolving those issues without breaching the terms and conditions of your Sky Broadband contract.

6. Your IP address will be recorded for the purpose of preventing abuse of this service, but neither the information you enter nor the information which the site generates will be recorded.

Linky 1

Linky 2
  5. SKY customer service helplines are like all other broadband companies helplines, i.e. they are full of misleading information and flat out lies.
    They read from a script, and if you ask them something that doesn't appear on it they will trot out "computer says no" at any opportunity. All they are interested in is your cash, and they are banking on you not getting pissed off at them enough to demand your MAC code and chuck their "service" in the bin.

Try the info given by Ringdoby, Ex. It should work.

6. msr

msr LE

Well that's bollocks
  7. The red text was c&p'd from the 2nd link, so I don't know (or care) about the validity of the information that sky may be able to collect.
  8. Tried this but to to no avail. The Tiscali router won't connect with the username and password generated....

Am looking at piggybacking the tiscali router off the sky one with the ethernet cable. Not really sure what the prospects are....
  9. msr

msr LE

Good if you switch the wireless off on the sky one.

10. Not sure that's possible without opening it and using the sidecutters. The tiscali one seems to have most of its settings locked.... :(

Thinking of this, why would the sky one need the wireless turned off? I can run three wireless routers side by side and choose which one to connect to...... :?
  11. msr

msr LE

Or just get one which does the job properly....
  12. I think he will want to turn the sky wireless off not the tiscali one....
    If its the same as my box (white one) turning the wireless off could not be easier.
    Also not too sure if the ports auto switch on these routers so you may need a xover cable.
  13. Agreed. I bought a Netgear router, which means I don't have to wait around for the cheap and nasty effort you tend to get from the new ISP.

If your struggling with the customer service centre of your ISP, so long as you have your basic details and passwords, you can call Netgear's support, who I have found pretty good.
  14. Seconded. The only information that anyone will be able to get from your MAC address is the manufacturers identifier which is held in the first 3 octets of the MAC address, the second 3 octets that make up the remainder of the MAC address are NIC specific and are used to identify the hardware on a network.

There must be some way of the OP altering the settings on the wireless device, otherwise, how do you configure the wireless security information such as your WPA key and SSID?
  15. Check the details you entered for the sky modem serial number to generate the username/ passy. i.e. have you got 0 and O crossed, or 1 and I.

The MAC address is in hex, so there are no zero's, only the digits 0-9, and A-F as letters