Using the Regular Reserve on camps?

Anyone do it?

johnboyzzz said:
The only training that is currently funded is for 1,500 man/weeks per year to enable the RARO and Regular Reservists who volunteer to take part in collective training with both Regular and TA Units. Payment is made at TA rates plus £215 (tax-free) bounty.
Thats appears to be a fair number of MTD's, which could be used to bolster units strength on camps. (I'm a on a v large ex next year and extra bods would be more than useful).

My previous unit did it on one camp and it seemed to work very well, main problem was working out what to do with the WO1 posted to my section....

polar said:
Anyone do it?

johnboyzzz said:
The only training that is currently funded is for 1,500 man/weeks per year to enable the RARO and Regular Reservists who volunteer to take part in collective training with both Regular and TA Units. Payment is made at TA rates plus £215 (tax-free) bounty.
Thats appears to be a fair number of MTD's, which could be used to bolster units strength on camps. (I'm a on a v large ex next year and extra bods would be more than useful).

My previous unit did it on one camp and it seemed to work very well, main problem was working out what to do with the WO1 posted to my section....
Sounds interesting. Can the Long Term Reserve do the same?

Tartan_Terrier said:
I think so but from the lack of replies, I don't think the TA have asked to use ex-regs on camps a lot. Doesn't make sense really, seems like a good way of getting ex-regs interested in the TA.

polar said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
I think so but from the lack of replies, I don't think the TA have asked to use ex-regs on camps a lot. Doesn't make sense really, seems like a good way of getting ex-regs interested in the TA.
Hmmm. We did an Ex with 5 or 6 RR on it a few years ago, basically they were a waste of time. Remember they decided to jack the Army in the first place. They basically refused to do anything tactical, would only work as drivers or similar - and even then made a fuss about accommodation, wanted quiet rooms with proper beds etc for "Drivers Rest". "Interested in the TA" - No chance, bunch of work-shy barrack-room lawyers, only turned up for the money.

Trossachs said:
polar said:
Tartan_Terrier said:
Hmmm. We did an Ex with 5 or 6 RR on it a few years ago, basically they were a waste of time. Remember they decided to jack the Army in the first place. They basically refused to do anything tactical, would only work as drivers or similar - and even then made a fuss about accommodation, wanted quiet rooms with proper beds etc for "Drivers Rest". "Interested in the TA" - No chance, bunch of work-shy barrack-room lawyers, only turned up for the money.
As an ex-regular and now reservist (who was mobilised for a Telic), I think you're tarring all with the same brush there old chap.

Certainly not the case with me (despite not being totally enthralled with being in Iraq). Worked my socks off even if I did annoy the management a little.

Maybe those guys were, but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

If anyone has a vacancy for possibly the oldest stag monster/brew bitch known to man, please feel free to PM me.

Regards
T_T

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Worth noting that a LARGE proportion of Reservists currently mobilised are Regular Reserve - i.e. ex-Regs - rather than TA. The RR is increasingly being seen as a good source of manpower; expect to see its utility greatly increased in the next few years as new Terms of Service come in.

Meanwhile, in the dim and distant past - Exercise Brave Defender, UK Home Defence, 1985 (or '86?) - whole bunches of RRs were 'called up' for a week of it. A fecking disaster. Whoever organised it reckoned that those who had just left would be the keenest to come back (can you see the problem yet?). Oddly enough it turned out that, for the most part, they weren't that keen to e in green, having recently left. They (almost all were lads who had done the 3 years minimum Sservice) refused to shave, or do anything even vaguely Soldier-like. Quite entertaining, but no use whatsoever.

That was then, now things are different, and Reg Res are certainly one of the Flavours of the Month.

I was ask to do this in 96. About 8 of us turned up out of 20, attached to some mob from Telford. Had a great 2 weeks and it did get me interested in the TA and I know at least one other that joined the TA after it, so maybe not a bad idea after all.

OldSnowy said:
Worth noting that a LARGE proportion of Reservists currently mobilised are Regular Reserve - i.e. ex-Regs - rather than TA. The RR is increasingly being seen as a good source of manpower; expect to see its utility greatly increased in the next few years as new Terms of Service come in.
and part of the TA's justification gets lost. Guess the infantry are safe, a fit young TA Pte/LCpl is wanted more than a 22 year Pte/LCpl.

devilish said:
I was ask to do this in 96.
Who asked you? My Regt is on a very big Ex next year, I could do with extra bods to employ in nice & easy work and stop me from working in a friggin COMMCEN for 2 weeks.

polar said:
OldSnowy said:
and part of the TA's justification gets lost. Guess the infantry are safe, a fit young TA Pte/LCpl is wanted more than a 22 year Pte/LCpl.
Dunno about that, quite a few of the reservists I deployed with were in their 20s/early 30s, some were making it [going on tour] a way of life (and quite a few TA lads seemed to be doing the same).

OldSnowy said:

Meanwhile, in the dim and distant past - Exercise Brave Defender, UK Home Defence, 1985 (or '86?) - whole bunches of RRs were 'called up' for a week of it. A fecking disaster. Whoever organised it reckoned that those who had just left would be the keenest to come back (can you see the problem yet?). Oddly enough it turned out that, for the most part, they weren't that keen to e in green, having recently left. They (almost all were lads who had done the 3 years minimum Sservice) refused to shave, or do anything even vaguely Soldier-like. Quite entertaining, but no use whatsoever.

That was then, now things are different, and Reg Res are certainly one of the Flavours of the Month.
Another Hmmmm. The RR USED to be where the Regular Army thought it would get their best reserve from - but TELIC has shown that NOT to be the case - for one thing most RR could not be found or did not answer the brown envelope. "Gone Away" or "Not Known at this Address" etc etc. For that reason its the TA who are now "the Reserve of Choice". Maybe that will change if they have better ToS ? Bottom line is that most of these blokes are in the RR because they chose to leave the Army.

Trossachs said:
OldSnowy said:

Another Hmmmm. The RR USED to be where the Regular Army thought it would get their best reserve from - but TELIC has shown that NOT to be the case - for one thing most RR could not be found or did not answer the brown envelope. "Gone Away" or "Not Known at this Address" etc etc. For that reason its the TA who are now "the Reserve of Choice". Maybe that will change if they have better ToS ? Bottom line is that most of these blokes are in the RR because they chose to leave the Army.
Certainly wasn't the case on my Telic.

Maybe they did choose to leave (although you don't know the reason in every case), but I found there to be just as much of a spread of good/bad as anywhere (in fact I spent 6 months sharing a room with a TA lad who was a complete liability and didn't want to be there).

Feel free to lump us all in the same boat, I'm sure you feel great when people do likewise when mentioning the TA...
I bet there are plenty there who also won't deploy.

edited to make more sense

Trossachs said:
OldSnowy said:

Indeed mate - some of us leave to pursue new careers - not because we all hate the Army... I'm sure a few of us wouldn't mind being called up - when I've finished uni and settled into my new career for a few years, I wouldn't mind doing a tour.

Older_by_the_day said:
Trossachs said:
[Another Hmmmm. The RR USED to be where the Regular Army thought it would get their best reserve from -
Certainly wasn't the case on my Telic................
Feel free to lump us all in the same boat, I'm sure you feel great when people do likewise when mentioning the TA...
I bet there are plenty there who also won't deploy.

edited to make more sense
I'm NOT lumping every RR together, I am stating two facts. Fact 1 is all the RR who deployed on the 1 Ex I remember were wasters, not a one-off, not a selection. All of them. Fact 2 is the MOD have dropped the RR as their first choice when looking to mobilise folk on the basis that they cannot count on finding them, let alone mobilising them. I'd add they also found that skill-fade was greater than anticipated.

As for inability/unwillingness to mobilise, we Reserves ( TA or RR) should not hesitate to ask our Regular counterparts how many Biffs and Compassionates they left at home on their last deployment. Its a fair few !!

I don't think skill fade is really an issue for all trades. I left two years ago, and I could still slip into my trade as an RE sig, the Combat Engineering I learnt in training (as I touched that last in Canada, which was almost six years after training) and the medic stuff as an RMA is still there... And where T-F is an issue, it probably wouldn't take long to get it back. Although granted, trade-fade is pretty much a fact of life in the Engineers, anyway.

Trossachs said:
for one thing most RR could not be found or did not answer the brown envelope. "Gone Away" or "Not Known at this Address" etc etc. For that reason its the TA who are now "the Reserve of Choice". Maybe that will change if they have better ToS ? Bottom line is that most of these blokes are in the RR because they chose to leave the Army.
I wouldn't ignore OldSnowy's comments, he does seem to know his stuff. The TA as the "Reserve of Choice" was the touted around Telic 1->??? It may have changed, how many highly trained soldiers leave the army each year? I'd guess it was more than the number of TA soldiers currently available for mobilisation. Which group is going more likely to leave the Army after mobilisation? The TA as the other part of the reserve has already left.

OldSnowy said:
Strange that. Trawling Hansard suggests that the Regular reserve have been mostly useless. For 2005 some 1,300 TA had been called up, against 50 Regular Reserve.

Also on July 4th 2007 Mr.Ainsworth made the following comment

Mr. Bob Ainsworth: The Territorial Army (TA) is the reserve of “first choice” and its personnel are currently providing crucial support to the Regular Forces on operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere. Since January 2003 around 13,000 volunteers from the TA have been mobilised on overseas operations.

http://www.publications.parliament....04/text/70704w0004.htm#70704w0004.htm_spnew12

With the unit I was deployed with (RE Sqn sized) we had two TA bods and started off with 4 regular reservists (two voluntary two comp mobilised), ended up with three RR as one was sent back to the UK on medical grounds.

Go figure...