Using regular units gym facilities whilst in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by oldcolt, Jul 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just for information,, and appologies if it has been dealt with before on here but, no one in my own unit seemed to be aware of this so I assume others are equally in the dark. Here goes.

    If you are in possession of your MOD 90 (ID) card, you are able to use other units sports facilities; FREE!

    For me, this means I can use my local Navy base's extensive gym, swimming pool and cardio hall, including squash courts, spin classes and even a Sauna!

    This not only allows me to up my training regime without having to queue whilst a bunch of civvie jocks pose in front of the mirror but, I save myself around £40 PCM on gym/ leisure centre membership.

    For me the process was thus:

    Take MOD 90 to guard/ pass office on base.
    Have temporary pass issued
    Go to sports hall and have an induction section in the gym
    Take chit to guard/ pass office and have permanent pass issued.
    Go to Gym as often as I like showing pass and MOD 90 to the gate guard
    Leave feeling exhausted but smug some 60 minutes or so later :)
  2. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Stopppp.....and step away from the computer. You MAY have been allowed to use the facilities at your local base, but please don't try and extend that as a God given right to all military establishments.

    The ability to use another units facilities will be down to approval from that unit, which is on a case by case basis. The facilities are provided for the welfare of the members of that unit, and often heavily subsidised by the PRI of that unit. They may well chose not to let you use them, to ensure availability for their own staff and to prevent wear and tear from non-unit members.

    Turn up at my TA location and ask to use the gym and you will be given very short shrift. Our kit, paid for from our budget, for the benefit of our soldiers. You will be told to pay for your own civvy gym membership or get pounding the streets for free.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Feel that One Army love....
  4. Eh, surely all regular establishment's gyms are created at Crown Expense, and thus any member of the forces may use them?! More to the point, there are NSNs for nearly all pieces of kit, so why are you having to shell out for anything....?
  5. You may well be right Duke but I was told by a member of my unit who holds a WO rank in the AGC as well as one of the Armed forces helplines (i cant remember which one I am sorry) that this was the case. Also the local base PTI's confirmed that this was the case as far as they were aware.

    I wasn't referrring to the TAC's BTW, just regular units such as RAF, RN or Army.

    Edited for VERY bad spelling and a slight, unintended exageration :oops:
  6. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    If the money for the kit, servicing, repairs etc came from one central fund then one army love would apply. It doesn't, so it doesn't!
  7. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    There are, and you can bid for certain pieces of kit - but it still has to be budgeted for. A lot of places will then top them up from unit funds to make them more attractive.
  8. It might be worth going up and asking 1st mate. My oppo used to use the facilities at Dering lines (he more so as he was local) after he went up there and asked...nicely.
  9. If you turn up at the gate at the base where i work you'll be told to sling your hook.
    Gym only for use to Permenent staff , dependents and personell there on courses.
    And thats after paying £10 for a Gym pass and having a induction.
  10. Thats just plain Jack. Have you asked why?
  11. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    Have you read the earlier posts?

    Would you call it jack if they refused someone who turned up at the gate and demanded access to the stores? Or the armoury? Or the MT fleet? Or the training aids and classrooms?

    Just because they are paid for (in whole or in part) from the army budget does not allow everyone with an MOD 90 an automatic right of access. They are held on the account of the unit concerned who account for them, manage their servicing, repairs etc. If you ask nicely, and through the correct channels, they MAY allow you access - but try and demand it as your right because a bloke off the internet told you that his AGC WO2 said it was Ok and see how far you get.
  12. Agree if some gobby bloke just rocks up and demands, but cannot see the problem in regular units / locations allowing TA blokes using gym facilities. Saunas etc - agree; if paid for by the unit. But if facilities are provided by taxpayers and are not abused, why not?

    "One Army, Regular and Territorial" and all that.

    Then again, armoury, MT etc require some sort of input / extra manhours from the unit so its not fair to ask to use that kind if kit. But weights etc require nil input, just a walk-through for good ole H&S.
  13. I would have thought a letter to the units CO or at the least its chief gym queen would be a priority. At least then you are asking for official permission.
  14. The_Duke

    The_Duke LE Moderator

    And the gym needs cleaning and tidying, the treadmills, ergos etc need servicing etc. Should the unit PT staff be there to provide that service for all and sundry?
  15. Would have thought SODHEXO do all that. ( I stand to be corrected, of course. ) Plus the extra "strain" of a couple of STABs per week would be pretty minimal.