Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using middle name as surname?

I realise this is an odd one, just a shower thought. I'm in the process of applying as an officer, waiting on some things.

I got to wondering; I have an unusual surname which it seems everybody finds their own pronunciation of, but a middle name which everyone can pronounce (and sounds a lot better!). Would it be possible to go by this as an officer, rather than my surname, without legally changing it?

Cheers!

People will rip the piss out of you if they do. I recall a CO whose wife called herself Cecilia but her real name was Brenda. It gave the appearance of an affectation and even the Brigade Commander found it humorous. Leave well alone.

People will rip the piss out of you if they do. I recall a CO whose wife called herself Cecilia but her real name was Brenda. It gave the appearance of an affectation and even the Brigade Commander found it humorous. Leave well alone.
Fair enough, not that I'd pretend it wasn't my name or anything, it's not embarassing (makes me sound like a probable IRA member, if anything), just awkard and everyone pronounces it differently.

Not posting just because I'm private, don't want to link this account to me as nobody knows my intention to join yet.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Fair enough, not that I'd pretend it wasn't my name or anything, it's not embarassing (makes me sound like a probable IRA member, if anything), just awkard and everyone pronounces it differently.

Not posting just because I'm private, don't want to link this account to me as nobody knows my intention to join yet.

So your name's Corbyn?

£42.44. Change your legal name to make your middle name your surname, and your current surname to become your new middle name. Job jobbed. No need to thank me.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Everyone gets the mickey taken out of them, everyone. doesn't matter what you're called or call yourself the mickey will be taken. @rickshaw-major is right , leave well alone.

£42.44. Change your legal name to make your middle name your surname, and your current surname to become your new middle name. Job jobbed. No need to thank me.

Then find yourself unable to get credit and vetting take forever

Similar (and again, Polish) - knew a guy who we all called '2 Zeds'.
And again, no longer with us but he had his Polish name on a tag on his coveralls about eight inch’s long, underneath what everyone new him as Fred! Even the CO and Razman called him Fred, it really was that hard to pronounce!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And again, no longer with us but he had his Polish name on a tag on his coveralls about eight inch’s long, underneath what everyone new him as Fred! Even the CO and Razman called him Fred, it really was that hard to pronounce!
And yet again, another Polish bloke whose last name began with Stelma followed by a mish mash of Cs, Zs, Us and a couple of Ks, just got called Thelma.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I realise this is an odd one, just a shower thought. I'm in the process of applying as an officer, waiting on some things.

I got to wondering; I have an unusual surname which it seems everybody finds their own pronunciation of, but a middle name which everyone can pronounce (and sounds a lot better!). Would it be possible to go by this as an officer, rather than my surname, without legally changing it?

Cheers!
Really, don't worry about it. i have a surname which causes the average Brit to glaze over when he sees what looks like a cluster of utterly unpronounceable consonants and it was never a problem. You might end up with a nickname, but that's no biggie, it's not like you were ginger, or Scottish.

walrusboy

War Hero
18 years ago I was told by a respectable KRH officer of field rank that some years previously they had a new officer with the surname Preston. Preston, Lancashire is the soldiers' depot for the regiment. As the officers' depot is Winchester, they changed his surname in the mess to Winchester and all his mail henceforth was directed to 2Lt Winchester. Even his parents grudgingly accepted the change. Could be blx, but he seemed convincing at the time and presented it as something which he expected me to view as perfectly reasonable.

philc

LE
The Chelsea skipper, Cesar Azpillicuta or Dave as he is know.

I have a mate whose surname makes it sound like IRA Gerry is his Dad who won a Military Cross. Don't change your name to try and fit a stereotype that doesn't actually exist.

Embrace it. Be a first class version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Last edited:
Change your middle name to 'Hi-Power', as I'm going to, then use that.

And yet again, another Polish bloke whose last name began with Stelma followed by a mish mash of Cs, Zs, Us and a couple of Ks, just got called Thelma.

Ours is called scrabble.

A troop I was in had a guy with a long Polish name, which few could pronounce. Every time he was issued with name tags, he kept having to send them back, as they were spelled wrong. His nickname was Ski.

Latest Threads