Using "FaceTime" in Afghan

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Reme_Armr, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I'm off for some winter sun in a few months on H15. I have an iPhone 4 but don't think it's worth the risk taking it with me.

I'm looking at buying an iPod touch or possibly an iPad. I've been assured from a previous tread that they will work out there on the bastion wifi so here's the question:

Will the FaceTime video calling work?
    If I left the mrs my iPhone in Germany I would love to be able to FaceTime her and the kids.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I hear that Skype has been disabled by paradigm (or whoever it is that runs the tent wifi)

If Anyone is currently there and able to use FaceTime I would love to hear from you.

Thanks all
    RA

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

from what I've heard you will struggle for bandwidth as the brit supply is crap. unless someone can aim a few cantennas at the marine compound and borrow some of their bandwidth you might struggle.

they have guys over there seeding torrents

plus I didnt think they allowed phones over there as the towers were compromised or has that changed.

3. .....I have an iPhone 4 but don't think it's worth the risk taking it with me.

I'm looking at buying an iPod touch or possibly an iPad.....