Using "FaceTime" in Afghan

Hi all,
I'm off for some winter sun in a few months on H15. I have an iPhone 4 but don't think it's worth the risk taking it with me.

I'm looking at buying an iPod touch or possibly an iPad. I've been assured from a previous tread that they will work out there on the bastion wifi so here's the question:

Will the FaceTime video calling work?
If I left the mrs my iPhone in Germany I would love to be able to FaceTime her and the kids.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I hear that Skype has been disabled by paradigm (or whoever it is that runs the tent wifi)

If Anyone is currently there and able to use FaceTime I would love to hear from you.

Thanks all
RA

Don't take your own phone to theatre. Not allowed, not worth the risk.

Ipads and the like - not too sure, I know you should only use the authorised comms/internet connections, if you get caught using your own you will get****ed over.

Don't take your own phone to theatre. Not allowed, not worth the risk.

Ipads and the like - not too sure, I know you should only use the authorised comms/internet connections, if you get caught using your own you will get****ed over.
I'm not on about using an unauthorised connection. Just the normal wifi that I hear you can get in your tent. But I've heard that you can't use Skype, just wondered if FaceTime will work.
I agree about the risk of taking a phone. I used mine in Iraq, the mrs knew if she got odd phone calls that it wasn't true
I just want to use it as an iPod/camera/video camera/games player/interweb browser etc.

Welcome have their own WIFI which people use their own laptops to connect to, so I don't think you will have any problems, but skype etc can't be used. Obviously If you use any of the providers on camps, be prepared to pay $80-$95 per month, but you will be able to use Skype with no problem. Lots of people go for that option so they can use skype.

Then we should be expecting an order from the MOD soon about the ban on all laptops/IPad/Tablets/Netbooks in theater then?
Not really. There is more then one reason they don't wish you to use mobile phones (which use the local mobile phone network) in theatre and allow you to use things like Welcome to call/email.

It does, actually. And if it does it wirelessly via 3G, it makes it a mobile phone.
So as long as it just does through wifi and not 3G you're saying it's not a mobile phone. So normal laptops, iPod touches, wifi kindles and iPads etc aren't mobiles. So there's no problemo there then.

Z

Zarathustra

Not really. There is more then one reason they don't wish you to use mobile phones (which use the local mobile phone network) in theatre and allow you to use things like Welcome to call/email.
I know the reasons mobiles are banned from theater, I'm just bored

So as long as it just does through wifi and not 3G you're saying it's not a mobile phone. So normal laptops, iPod touches, wifi kindles and iPads etc aren't mobiles. So there's no problemo there then.
iPads have sim slots, and if a sim card is fitted it will use 3G networks. This makes it virtually indistinguishable from a mobile phone.

If it's an wifi only iPad you have then you facetime via your email address.

For example, your bird would save your tel number and email against your name in her iPhone, when she wants to facetime you she chooses between your tel, assuming you have an iPhone, or your email address. If she chooses the email it comes straight through to your iPad via wifi

Hope this helps

If it's an wifi only iPad you have then you facetime via your email address.

For example, your bird would save your tel number and email against your name in her iPhone, when she wants to facetime you she chooses between your tel, assuming you have an iPhone, or your email address. If she chooses the email it comes straight through to your iPad via wifi

Hope this helps
Cheers original nick.
What I'm really trying to find out is does it work in afghan. I get how it works but I'm not sure if it has been blocked by paradigm like Skype has.