Using "FaceTime" in Afghan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Reme_Armr, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I'm off for some winter sun in a few months on H15. I have an iPhone 4 but don't think it's worth the risk taking it with me.

I'm looking at buying an iPod touch or possibly an iPad. I've been assured from a previous tread that they will work out there on the bastion wifi so here's the question:

Will the FaceTime video calling work?
    If I left the mrs my iPhone in Germany I would love to be able to FaceTime her and the kids.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I hear that Skype has been disabled by paradigm (or whoever it is that runs the tent wifi)

If Anyone is currently there and able to use FaceTime I would love to hear from you.

Thanks all
  2. Don't take your own phone to theatre. Not allowed, not worth the risk.

Ipads and the like - not too sure, I know you should only use the authorised comms/internet connections, if you get caught using your own you will get****ed over.
  3. CJM

CJM Old-Salt

Although I suppose the iPad is also a phone really.
  4. I'm not on about using an unauthorised connection. Just the normal wifi that I hear you can get in your tent. But I've heard that you can't use Skype, just wondered if FaceTime will work.
    I agree about the risk of taking a phone. I used mine in Iraq, the mrs knew if she got odd phone calls that it wasn't true
    I just want to use it as an iPod/camera/video camera/games player/interweb browser etc.
  5. Apart from the fact you can't make phone calls with it
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome have their own WIFI which people use their own laptops to connect to, so I don't think you will have any problems, but skype etc can't be used. Obviously If you use any of the providers on camps, be prepared to pay $80-$95 per month, but you will be able to use Skype with no problem. Lots of people go for that option so they can use skype.
  7. You can if you use skype or any voip on it ;)
  8. True but I can use those on my laptop but that doesn't make it a phone.
  9. No it's not.
  10. It does, actually. And if it does it wirelessly via 3G, it makes it a mobile phone.
  11. Then we should be expecting an order from the MOD soon about the ban on all laptops/IPad/Tablets/Netbooks in theater then?
  12. Or maybe just the sims. But, yes, if any of these are used with a 3G capability, then they pose the same problems.
  13. Not really. There is more then one reason they don't wish you to use mobile phones (which use the local mobile phone network) in theatre and allow you to use things like Welcome to call/email.
  14. So as long as it just does through wifi and not 3G you're saying it's not a mobile phone. So normal laptops, iPod touches, wifi kindles and iPads etc aren't mobiles. So there's no problemo there then.
  15. I know the reasons mobiles are banned from theater, I'm just bored