Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using criminal and military skills together.

I did read somewhere that one of the Para units had a habit of "recovering" items after bomb blasts in N.I. back in the 70's.
After one tour everyone had a nice shiny wristwatch and could afford an overseas holiday.
It ended after a DMS footprint was left in one establishment and the RMP got lucky by hitting the only loose ceiling tile and finding a kitbag full of swag.

Er, allegedly.. that pretty much happened after every bombing of a jewelers mucka. .. problem, so i'm ..er ..told was that the watches often damaged by the blast and shock wave, never lasted long and nor did loads and loads of gold chains get wrapped around cardboard and posted home, oh, no they never did .

Nor where the RUC often first on the scene and we, ...er ..some would arrive just in time for them to say.. 'Ok, you're here , so we're off ' while smiling like people who had just happened upon something shiny.

Er, allegedly.. that pretty much happened after every bombing of a jewelers mucka. .. problem, so i'm ..er ..told was that the watches often damaged by the blast and shock wave, never lasted long and nor did loads and loads of gold chains get wrapped around cardboard and posted home, oh, no they never did .

While the observation might not be popular, due to the saintliness of all concerned, post-9/11 it turned out that the safety-deposit centre near / under the towers had been drilled out and emptied with much apparently non-valuable stuff destroyed rather than nicked. A lot of photographic negatives that were the inheritance (and 'pension fund') of the family of a very famous photographer were wrecked -- which is how I heard about it, a friend of a friend. They were told not to go public at the time, for reasons of security etc.

That infamous Kenyan shopping-centre was reportedly also cleaned out before business owners were allowed back in, most likely by those who had little to do with taking care of the terrorist part of the incident. It seems to be a consistent feature of this sort of major event.

While the observation might not be popular, due to the saintliness of all concerned, post-9/11 it turned out that the safety-deposit centre near / under the towers had been drilled out and emptied with much apparently non-valuable stuff destroyed rather than nicked. A lot of photographic negatives that were the inheritance (and 'pension fund') of the family of a very famous photographer were wrecked -- which is how I heard about it, a friend of a friend. They were told not to go public at the time, for reasons of security etc.

That infamous Kenyan shopping-centre was reportedly also cleaned out before business owners were allowed back in, most likely by those who had little to do with taking care of the terrorist part of the incident. It seems to be a consistent feature of this sort of major event.

...but not unexpected to be fair.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose we really should separate out those military criminals who use military tactics from just the plain old criminals who happen to be ex-squaddies.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A trick chambermaids in expensive hotels learn is that if a nice piece of jewellery belonging to an extremely wealthy guest is left lying around it can be hidden under a bed, or somewhere similar.

They wait, if a fuss is made, a thorough search can be made and the errant piece "found", much to the relief and gratitude of the guest, with perhaps a nice tip thrown in. If no fuss is made, a week later the piece can be quietly retrieved.

No harm, no foul.
A cement mixers a bit of a big bastard to hide under a bed though !!!
I put a load of pallets in front of it, then over it
after 3 months no one noticed so it vanished
I did nick the wheels first though so some light fingered git couldnt wheel it away !

Chef

LE
Armour Volume 2 The Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment lived on the back of Zero Alpha, the senior ACV (prior to the 1982 radio change).

Possibly the first line in the tome read something like, "Armoured Reconnaissance requires a special kind of soldier with the skills of a poacher."

Just saying.

Isn't that what Paul Hausser commandant of the SS training school require of his pupils?

Before joining up, I was quite good at using my stealth entry skills to gain free admission to football matches and gigs. I am even better at it now. I took it as a complement, when a former work colleague, who had previously done security at St James Park, and Stadium of Light, dismissed my claims of jibbing, stating it was impossible to jib in. So, I shut up, and let him believe what he wants, and I shall just carry on jibbing in.
I have a list of nightclubs as long as your arm, all over, that I have jibbed in.

Oh I dunno, there was that Customs cocaine job back late 90's which was basically good SBS against bad SBS.
It was a very interesting briefing...the guilty ones were on long leave and had essentially been recruited to do a maritime coke run back to the UK, the good ones were the bods tasked to do the initial fast roping and containment before the Customs arrest team pitched aboard.
All was going swimmingly, dates, times, locations, ship type and dimensions, all the usual stuff.
There was one of the deepest silences I've ever heard when the photos of the opposition were shown and erstwhile friends and colleagues were recognised.
The silence was broken by one bloke " That f*ckin cnut, I lent him my lawnmower the other week".
I believe the one who was nicked was SB attached.

Fire fighting 1977(I wasn't there) RM unit in Glasgow,Whiskey Bond incident. Cops raided barracks in (Maryhill?) later --bunch of pissed Booties with naked OC(Major) dancing on a table.-- Cheap whiskey and fags for sale in Plymouth as guys came back down on few days off.

Couple of Booties robbed the Nat West on Mutley Plain Plymouth--- caught as they got a parking ticket in the lane around the back-- I think one got away with it(not enough evidence)

Bootie robbed his mrs boss--9years.

Last 2 were armed robberies.

2/4 Booties were robbing large houses in Northwood area--(wondered how the ex copper and his pals were doing so well---shift system and days off?)--They were caught via phone monitoring(Naval security)--- last time I saw the ex plod,he was gate sentry at Poole,whilst awaiting trial.

syrup

LE
Didn't somebody have it on their toes with a pallet of Dollars from Saddam's Palace in 2003 / 04.
Removal and replacement of an A/C unit to gain entry and exit.

Chef

LE
Isn't that what Paul Hausser commandant of the SS training school require of his pupils?
Require of his pupils? Is it still going then?

That gentlemen is why one should proof read the words on the page not listen to the voices inside one's head.*

Delete the above sentence 'Isn't that...'

Insert 'Wasn't that what Paul Hausser commandant of the SS training school required of his pupils?'

*Obviously I don't have voices inside my head. That would be madness.

My instructions come from the cat.

Before joining up, I was quite good at using my stealth entry skills to gain free admission to football matches and gigs. I am even better at it now. I took it as a complement, when a former work colleague, who had previously done security at St James Park, and Stadium of Light, dismissed my claims of jibbing, stating it was impossible to jib in. So, I shut up, and let him believe what he wants, and I shall just carry on jibbing in.
I have a list of nightclubs as long as your arm, all over, that I have jibbed in.

Lumi yellow vest? Even better with the word security/staff/steward written on it.

Longstanton Post Office.
Google tells me it was the scene of an attempted robbed nearly two years ago. Having failed, the suspects went onto another shop and robbed it instead.
Where you the one in the hi viz coat? Do you have any further information?
You can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their website.

Latest Threads