Using 'Captain' after retirement

After WW2,the Chief Executive of Smiths (the clock,watch,and instrument makers),by the surname of Hurn,took up his old post in the HQ,at Cricklewood.

He spent a week,going around and meeting all his old board members,he noticed a number of nameplates on office doors,bearing the occupants former rank in the Armed Forces,all were Officers.

Pissed off with this affectation,he commisioned the company signwriter,to paint his door nameplate,and have it fixed on his office door over the weekend,and on the Monday morning,there it was for all to see,it read "R.Hurn SSgt Int Corps (Retd)"!

Within 5 days all nameplates,only had name,and title within the company,class! ;-)
The word 'retired' (or Retd) should not be added after an officer's name in ordinary correspondence or in lists, but only when it is specifically necessary to indicate that an officer is on the retired list, e.g. one employed in a civilian capacity in a Ministry of Defence establishment, when it facilitates postal arrangements.
How to address a Retired Army Officer - Forms of Address by Profession, Army Ranks

Am I missing something here? In approx two decades of service I have never had my rank put on my postal correspondance and it always got through to me.

Numpties who can't 'let go' of the fact they were once an officer and are now civvies keep their rank and put (Retd) on their names. We always referred to them as Major (Retarded) or similar.

If they are worthy of respect, they'll get it. Regardless if they were an ex anything from Pte to General.

Book Reviewer
Every time I am tempted to use my old title I reflect upon signs over the door in Bombay, Delhi and throughout India.

Doctor and Gynecologist.
Dipram Chacrabatti.
BA (Hons) Calcutta (Failed)
I had been out for maybe 10 years, when I was introduced to some old buffer in a pub in Pangbourne - "My name is Henry Buffington-Smythe (not real), but you can call me Major".

When I responded with my name and "You can call me Sergeant", he was distinctly unamused - I think he suspected me of taking the piss ...