Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using animal feed molasses as a de-rusting agent

Sticky847

Swinger
Hello all and first thread start on ARRSE, I have used animal feed molasses mixed with water in a 1 to9 mix to de rust various items, it is quite slow and also temperature dependant, however it de rusted a 1920’s petrol tin with no damage to a thin and corroded material. Lastly I used it to de rust a No5 record vice, it went well but after a while it stopped working and then the surface acquired a light green accretion as seen in the picture, does the ARRSE collective know why this may be?

Attachments

• 77790E1D-E23C-4EC4-B0F5-ED9357BAFCF9.jpeg
    77790E1D-E23C-4EC4-B0F5-ED9357BAFCF9.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 85
Best I can do on a quick search. I'm not an expert.
Maybe you could saw off a piece, and soak it in the molasses. If the green only appears in the (original) outer part, then it must have been coated with something.

Is this using the same batch of molasses ? what type are you using, has the PH changed during storage ?
Have you tried the vice in some sugary coca cola , the may be more acid in the beverage, and what temp range do you use ?

Troy

LE
I just use distilled vinegar, or electrolysis and/or an ultrasonic bath.
The vinegar is cheap at 40p a bottle for Tesco's own or 30p for Lidl's.
For the Electrolysis I use washing soda instead of salt because it makes less mess.
The ultrasonic bath is just a tiny one so I tend to stand a taller plastic pot inside it for larger items. Mostly using just plain water, but sometimes I will try vinegar instead.
All in all it's much more straightforward and cheaper than molasses.

Sticky847

Swinger
For the Electrolysis I use washing soda instead of salt because it makes less mess.
The ultrasonic bath is just a tiny one so I tend to stand a taller plastic pot inside it for larger items. Mostly using just plain water, but sometimes I will try vinegar instead.
Must admit I went with molasses as it required less input
I went with molasses as it requires less effort from me, and it was ok to begin with, the temperature was whatever the garage was as the missus would not allow it in the house, the odd thing is that is was working well and then stalled, may go for a mechanical de rust followed by vinegar.

Sticky847

Swinger
Is this using the same batch of molasses ? what type are you using, has the PH changed during storage ?
Have you tried the vice in some sugary coca cola , the may be more acid in the beverage, and what temp range do you use ?
No, molasses was from same company but all other environmental factors were different, it’s the green accretion that baffles me, it is as difficult to remove as normal iron oxide.

Hot citric acid bath is the best deruster , safe to handle and non toxic.

And cheap tomato ketchup left on overnight is the best for heavy tarnished brass and copper.

We feed molasses to cows and use a sandblaster to "derust" stuff here ....
In all seriousness I picked up some stuff from a chandlers in Estapona Harbour a few years ago that you paint on anything and it takes the rust off to metal in no time ....no idea what it's called though ....next time I'm in the workshop I'll have a look .

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
I have been collecting old and antique tools for many years and most of them are rusty when I buy them I put them in a fibreglass tub with molasses that I buy from the produce store where animal feed is sold, mix it one part molasses to two parts water, leave them for about a week then check them, if all rust not gone leave and check daily,
when all the rust is gone hose the tools off with water then leave them to dry and spray them with diesel fuel, the fule evaporates but the oily residue stays on the tools and prevents more rust and I have never had the green stuff appear either, they are ready for me to use, I have used this method for planes, spokeshave and all sorts of woodworking tools and also for some old blacksmiths tools works a treat and suggest for use on any rusty metal, it works

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
I have been collecting old and antique tools for many years and most of them are rusty when I buy them I put them in a fibreglass tube with molasses that I buy from the produce store where animal feed is sold, mix it one part molasses to two parts water, leave them for about a week then check them, if all rust not gone leave and check daily,
when all the rust is gone hose the tools off with water then leave them to dry and spray them with diesel fuel, the fule evaporates but the oily residue stays on the tools and prevents more rust and I have never had the green stuff appear either, they are ready for me to use, I have used this method for planes, spokeshave and all sorts of woodworking tools and also for some old blacksmiths tools works a treat and suggest for use on any rusty metal, it works

We buy it in ten ton loads, naturally it's about 8-10% protein depending on what job it's got to do it can be adulterated with all sorts of stuff to get it to 46%.
There's a couple of ways of doing it, but urea is one of the easy additives often emulsified in fat, maybe that's your issue?
Different syrups also cane vs. beet sugars can make a difference.
All I know is it's a b#gger to wash off, if you get it on your sleeve cuffs it'll spoil your day.
Good to know my cows won't go rusty though, they've been left out in the rain for the last month!

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
the molasses I use is from sugar cane, cos I live in Australia and I did forget to mention that when I have finished with the molasses mixture I add another bit of water, about the same as that mixed originally, and use a watering can and put in on the plants in my garden, it acts as a good fertiliser, and particularly with cherry tomatoes and Lebanese cucumber, the crop produces more and the tomatoes are so much sweeter than normal

Hot citric acid bath is the best deruster , safe to handle and non toxic.

And cheap tomato ketchup left on overnight is the best for heavy tarnished brass and copper.
Also for getting fox shit off the fur of your shaggy bearded collie, when the stupid beast has (yet again) given in to that inexplicable urge to follow the scent into the woods to roll herself in it . . . . . :roll:

Latest Threads