Useing S/Africa Laptop In UK By Mains Lekkie?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by spike7451, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

A reative of mine is sending me a 8month old Acer Aspire Timeline 3810T Laptop which he does'nt need anymore & I need a new one as my E-Systems one has about had it.(memory nearly full,(4gig left)battery wont hold a charge & keyboard needs replacing)
    Anyway,he's in South Africa & mentioned I may need to change the mains power adaptor.
    Most laptop power adaptor's I've seen have a powercord that plugs into the adaptor so will it be as simple as getting a UK power cord & replacing the S/A one with the UK one or will I have to source a complete new unit?
    Thanks in advance,

2. I think its as simple as just changing the plug to a UK one, last time I was there (2003), they used a similar plug to us but with round pins, I reckon you can just change plugs!

3. I'm sure they use 230-250v 50Hz AC too
  4. Should be fine. Mine came from Joburg to London without any stress.
  5. Well I used my UK laptop in SA last year with no problems, though they still use the old 15A round pin plug their, fitting a UK13A squarre pin plug is relatively simple.
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers chaps!!!
    I'm going to get the keyboard on my E-Sys one repaired (my cat knocked beir over it so some of the keys dont work so I'm useing the on-screen one which is a pain!) so I'm giving it to the cadets.
  7. Most electrical toys from SA are a fair bit cheaper too, my tv and dvd player are SA chinese imports and considerably cheaper than getting it from the UK, change the mad plug and you're away.