Useful tool?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by PE4rocks, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Airborne Sniper.

If it takes off(intended) as a weapon system, it could be a useful asset. Could we use it?

As long as it's not piloted by a crab or controlled by a dropshort natch...

2. The other problem I can see is, at what levels it's held/tasked etc, I can see great uses at Batt/Regt level as an armed recce platform, but it has the potential to be subsumed by the Departments of Dirty Tricks.

3. It would be fine for equpiment denial, but I'm not sure about taking on ground troops with it. It says in the blurb that it fires the 1st shot, then corrects it's aim from the splash, then fires the 2nd "on target" shot 1.5 seconds later. Surely someone worth there salt would've moved position after the 1st round down?

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Just my thoughts on the matter. It certainly is a great idea if it can be made to work.

Another answer for shot correction might be laser or other method of tracking the shot as it falls towards the target and have the second shot in the air BEFORE the first hits on the basis on the first shot flight pattern.

Better still; with a .50 calibre round, can one not include some miniaturised flight-control and comms kit to actually adjust the flight profile of the round in-flight? A bit like making dumb-bombs guided, but on a much smaller scale?

If that's too difficult, then make the round big enough to contain solid state circuits for comms and flight control. Still big enough to fly, but small enough to flatten target without collateral damage.

The only reason for .50 calibre sniping as a maximum usable calibre is the man-portability and power. With a UAV, you can use a .80 or even a 1" round, and thus incorporate technology that allows you to guide the bullet to the target.

Edited to add: for flight control, there are products and materials on the market today that allow the flexing of surfaces according to electrical input, rather than using servos. Just a though.