Useful Recruit Course Kit

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Spanish, Oct 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gday,

With any luck in a couple of months Ill be starting the recruit course for the Paras and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some useful bits of kit for this specific course?

Just a quick note about my background, I was in the Australian Army Reserve for two years before moving to the UK to join the Parachute Regiment, after having spent some time on exercise with an Airborne unit and taking a liking to it (I mention this just to avoid the usual response of 'learn to use the issue kit first' etc).

What Im after is not big things like bivvy bags or an aftermarket sleeping bag, which I know I wont have a snowballs chance in hell of using, but small things like gear for shining boots etc.

For example, when I did my recruit course back in Aus we had brass keepers for our belts that had to be sanded down then highly polished, which was just another one of those bastard tedious tasks that we could have done without. Had I known about this beforehand Id have brought along a small Dremel like tool to speed up the process on the sly, or at least some different grades of sandpaper than those on offer from the Corps shop. Do Para recruits have stuff that needs sanding/polishing etc?

Any ideas would be appreciated most highly ;) .
  2. I wouldn't bother with any non-issue kit, In phase 1 and phase 2 you won't be able to use it. If you suffer an injury and get binned its gonna be a waste of cash. As for your former reserve service, keep stumm! Section commander will attempt to rip shreds out of you, even worse been aussi. Keep your mouth shut and shine through. As for admin stuff Whatever its says on your packing list times it by 3, also think about bulk items for the first 6 weeks.

The only brasses you'll find in this day and age on the firing point!

3. Zinc oxide tape (get a mucker to borrow some of the three-inch wide stuff from the med centre). Bigger the better. Don't be fooled by what a chemist calls 'zinc oxide' - no use to man nor beast.

Ibruprofen x lots. I'm doing what you're planning on at the moment, and you're shins WILL start to pick.
    Tubigrip for the same purpose

99p flipflops for wearing in the shower.
    Dubbin, boot polish, cloth duster and brushes. Have a look at the many threads on boots - the key is to soften them as quickly as possible - had a mate whose boots fell apart before the 10 miler on P-Coy - the new boots raped his feet so badly that he had to be pulled off the course.

Depending on how troublesome your knees may be, glucosamine supplement is not necessarily a bad idea. Straps for any joints you may have had trouble with.
    Helly Hansen thermal. Bear in mind, this is NON ISSUE - and as such, it is a very, very bad idea to get caught wearing it. Being beasted wearing one as a punishment, although, has a certain delicious irony...
    Might want to think of getting some more pairs of issue look-alike OD green, cushioned sole socks.

The thing that is likely to get you failed (aside from the comfy looking jackwagon) is injury. So get in the minset of looking at things more carefully, and taking extra care of your feet and legs.

And because this is an advice thread in the Training Wing about things to take on a course, I feel obliged to say 'a sense of humour.' The guy whose still giggling like a scopey after a ten miler is the kind of guy who will pass. Good luck.
  4. Cheers for the advice fellas :)

" As for your former reserve service, keep stumm!"

Yeah, Im planning on keeping that one close to my chest. See how the 'Grey Man' routine works for a while (although like you said, being an Aussie isnt going to help on that front).

"So get in the minset of looking at things more carefully, and taking extra care of your feet and legs."

I learnt this one the hard way when I got shin splints doing lead up training. I thought shin splints were something only melingerers got, til I managed to get them myself (Ive since fixed up the cause however).

Ive had a good look at the Bulling Boots thread and Im quite in awe at the level of dedication put into this task. Back home we just wore Desert boots all the time, and our ceremonial boots were high shines that were designed to be cleaned with just a bit of surface cleaner and a brush around the sides (putting polish on them would actually ruin them). Least I can be thankful there's no brass to do I spose, heh.

5. Don't wory there's always something to polish