• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Used Jaguars...

Now, before I go any further, I'd just like to point out that I am the most un-car person in the world. Thank you :)

Anyway, Ive been fancying a change of car for a while now; I cant afford a brand new one but do have a budget of about £5000.

I was looking on-line at 5-6 year old Jaguars with FSH etc and think one of those could fit the bill. They start about £3500 and mileage is variable from about 60,000 right through to the moon and back.
I'm after a diesel which I figure would be better for motorway driving (its main use) and for my small amount of cash feel that I could still get 5-6 years of quality and relatively carefree motoring in a well-kept Jag.

What does our panel reckon?

Hmmmm,

I had a S-Type after years of panzers. Despite a FSH the following went wrong in the year I had it;

Cracked brake fluid pipe from the master cylinder led to full brake loss, only £40 to fix mind you, but bloody scary
Clutch went on the air con compressor - £200+
Drivers door electric window regulator knacked - £100+
Various central locking gremlins which were never quite cured
It ate two sets of front pads (ok I did over 30k miles) but expected better.
Oh and a slushbox that'd slip into neutral every now and then

On the plus side it was very comfy, very relaxed for long drives, the 3.0L V6 petrol returned over 35mpg and I got a lot of car for the money.

Would have a jag again? - only if I could afford a used XF with remaining warranty

Latest Threads