Used CBR 250R - what should I be looking for?

He's 6 ft 1, but at 15, I don't feel like it's the right thing to get him a powerful bike. This Honda seems like a bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing, which is fine to learn on. Point taken about him dropping it.

Like anyone else, when he fcuks off out of sight on the bike, it's on him. A bit like a pilot going solo though, fcuk it up through being a ******** or not knowing what you're doing (other form of dickheadery) and you're dead. Wife's been on his case about that :)

I think he'll be fine. Especially after he shits his pants the first time :)
Hope all he does the first time is shit his pants.

My own thinking is that I will let my toadie do the bike course and then make him drive a car for a year before I let him near a bike. Learn some road sense, and predictive ability first - driving in Texarrse is like a martial art rather than a road skill.

Get him this to read: Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Rider's Handbook

You should read it too, then batter the drills into him. There are also loads of UK police commentary rides and rider skills vid's on youtube.

There's been a lot said about driving a car before a bike. I've always thought bikes first. Teaches you to be a lert, road surfaces, general observation and realise that car drivers by and large know none of these things.
So far, so good. I ride like a big cowardy custard, (except for some times).

There's been a lot said about driving a car before a bike. I've always thought bikes first. Teaches you to be a lert, road surfaces, general observation and realise that car drivers by and large know none of these things.
So far, so good. I ride like a big cowardy custard, (except for some times).
Me too:).

The thing with us saddo's who moved to the US is that the driving standards here are virtually non-existent. The basic road driving test for cars is ordinarily performed in a large car park. So the kids are basically taught to drive at 15mph, do an emergency stop, 3 point turn and some parallel parking. There is a requirement for road driving, and everyone signs off to say that their kids have driven on the roads, but the reality is that they are half-arrsed drivers teaching the next generation along. Driving schools like europe do not exist here, in fact Texarrse has only had a driving license test requirement as such for around 11, or 12 years.

Motorcycle testing is performed and run by private companies who are more interested in making a profit than standards.

^ Blimey, no wonder you all need gnus!

A lad who lives near me wants to take up motocrossing
he said he wants a 500cc bike ??
I sat him down and explained that its not the size of the machine, its the riders skill that matters
and having a bike that size will most likely entail a bad crash when it runs away from him
told him and his dad to get a 125 to 200cc bike to start with and get used to balance, co ordination, braking and traction
also if he had time a days riding course would help
his dad booked him with one of the places that supply bike and riding gear
they agreed, and showed him how easily a 500 could get into trouble
motorcycle technology has moved on forward in leap years
he did a days riding on a 125 machine and loved it
I wanted a crosser as kid real bad but new i would never get one . I badgered my old man constantly but new he was tight as a ducks arse and would not get anything . Went around one day and he had bought a 1986 or 88 350 Ex works KTM of his neighbour who happened to have it in his shed for £400 . Silly sod , i was barely 14 and could not even touch the floor when on it ! Absolutely made me shat my pants when i was riding it and i could only blip the throttle open a little bit at a time !

nice price for a decent bike! for the price, I'd go new.
Agree with just about all the above.
I started off=road on honda cub scooters and little enduro's, doing a lot of idiocy & faling off, relatively safely. Told I had to learn to drive a car before a bike (by my Dad, who had a series of Triumph T110's, 120's. Tchh!)

I would go down car driving first, with off-road or track thrashing about. Bikes are intoxicating and the certainty is you're going to shit our pants and/or fall off.
I would love to have my MZ 150 back. just about big anough for 6', cheap to fix & service, light & strong enough to chuck up the road, upright enough to look around. And easy to find the limits of power, grip, stability, cornering mechanics...

Good luck to the both of you on your course - if it's insured, see what it's like like falling over and skidding (don't be a complete twat about it, but feel the fear in a safe environment)

I would agree with car first, we all bent our first car. I would rather bend metal than bone!
I appreciate that a lad is going to want a sports type bike covered in shiny plastic, but as has been mentioned, he will drop it. It isn't anything to do with the weight, it just over balances at low speed or you stand on some gravel and down you go.
Also the more sit-up style of bike makes it easier to be aware of your surroundings.

An epitaph on this thread.

The lad and I did our training courses this weekend, and we're all licensed up as of today. Out of 12 students, he was #2 on the practical, I managed #5. I was #2 on on the theory, he was #5. So we're quits :)

I was actually very impressed with his performance, and the difference in his outlook between the start of the course (knowing f*ck all, and the end of the course (not much more than f*ck all, but a lot better). He's put 50 miles on his bike tonight up and down a 4 mile quiet lane where we live.

Another thread to follow for me ;)

An epitaph on this thread.

The lad and I did our training courses this weekend, and we're all licensed up as of today. Out of 12 students, he was #2 on the practical, I managed #5. I was #2 on on the theory, he was #5. So we're quits :)

I was actually very impressed with his performance, and the difference in his outlook between the start of the course (knowing f*ck all, and the end of the course (not much more than f*ck all, but a lot better). He's put 50 miles on his bike tonight up and down a 4 mile quiet lane where we live.

Another thread to follow for me ;)
Good work, you chaps!

and it's summertime...get out and do a trials riding course next :)