Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used Car Dealers, Is There A Lower Form of Life?

Is there a lower form of life? Yes, estate agents. Flame throwers were invented for dealing with scum like this.

I raise you Russian troll farms

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Could be worse could have been an Audi
1590929803052.jpeg

You’re a Vauxhall driver, hahahahaha, hahahahaha, hehehehehehehe, hahahahaha haha. Mong.

Actualy, was. My preference was for Ford (2 Fiestas and an Orion) prior to my first Corsa. No problems with the Corsas, they needed less attention than the Fords.

Buying a brand new car is a complete waste of money imho cos it loses value as soon as it rolls out sale yard. Then it's considered second hand rather than new.

I had a similar problem when I was trying to buy a car, I needed an estate for practicality but had no clue what I was doing as I probably know more about DIY than cars (I recently fkd up trying to hang a heavy mirror and drilled the holes too far out).

Fortunately, I found a diesel estate that was ex Hampshire council. It's done around 170k but is fairly indestructible and as it's ex council it had regular service and maintenance.

I would recommend trying to get an ex government or council vehicle if you can, at least that way it'll have a more honest history than buying from some complete randomer or a spiv in a shiny polyester suit.

NSP

LE
You’re a Vauxhall driver, hahahahaha, hahahahaha, hehehehehehehe, hahahahaha haha. Mong.
My 1986 Cavalier hatch 1.6l went like a demon, never had a any probs. Was the third owner when I bought it in 1994. Wouldn't have a modern one, though. Get them hired for me and they're a load of plasticky underpowered crap!!!! Plus I spent five years getting to see how they threw put Vectras and Fronteras together.

NSP

LE
a spiv in a shiny polyester suit.
"You see, Paul - wearing a shiny polyester suit is very much like making love to a beautiful woman... You start by rubbing gently and very soon the sparks are flying."

Most of the auction houses will sell a vehicle with a certain description, which can be anything from "sold as seen" to a full engineer's report.

Apart from, obviously, "sold as seen", if the vehicle is discovered to have faults or issues (eg HPI) that conflict with the description, then normal sale of goods legislation applies and the auction house will annul the sale.

The level of vehicle report usually depends upon the class of sale, eg luxury cars will tend to be sold with mileage warranty, engineer's report and other checks.

E.g. this is an extract from the BCA website:

• Listen carefully to the auctioneer, who will read out the details of the vehicle before starting the bidding. In particular, you should be aware of its selling description:
    • No major mechanical faults - the vehicle should not have any major faults in the engine, gearbox, clutch, brakes, steering or transmission.
    • Specified faults – the auctioneer reads out particular defects notified by the seller.
    • Sold as seen (and with all its faults if any) – the vehicle is for sale as it is, with no warranties whatsoever by the seller. “Without warranty” means exactly the same.
    • On an engineer’s report – the vehicle has been examined by a BCA engineer and is sold on the description contained in the report, which is placed on the windscreen before the sale.

In my experience, BCA and the other big auction houses are pretty good at spotting and reporting, say, damage repairs, and even tiny bodywork blemishes that a normal private punter would miss.
As a private buyer they are rarely cheaper than buying off a dealer as your commission can be sky high (The trade get a much better deal) , auctions are only for the mechanically savvy.

Was invited a few years ( 5 or 6) to a pre-launch V.I.P. day by a certain well known "sports car" company dealership.
What a great day it turned out. Stunning marquees set up, excellent boo-fett...the usual hype.
Plus, a choice of around 14 cars to pick which had their sat-navs set to some really epic drivers's twisties, 40 miles of brutal on the limit stuff.
Suffice to say, these pre-launch examples were all UK plated by the UK marque H.O. registered...well they'd need to be....and clearly by the time they came up here had been..shall we say....tested. I spotted much more wear on the outside treads on the front wheels than would be normal at low miles, a few stains in the hide interiors, and some wear marks on the switch gear.
I, and a few dozen other "guests" had the best day ragging the living nuts of them till the brakes stank and the treads softened up...as you do. I'd have thought there would have been at least a couple of hundred others like us in these cars over the previous weeks down south..easily.
I did enquire with the staff what would happen to these by the time they'd been ragged into the tarmac "out the box" They were to be "scrapped" as sacrificial write offs but perhaps a few might go to to colleges for tech training or similar. At 25k a pop, I doubted it. Apparently they were all sold through various dealers under the guise of being low (?) miles dealer registered demonstrators....allegedly...cough. Not...the national importer. One owner;), a good few score of hooligans.
I took a photo of all their plates, which was easy when they were all parked in a row.
Sure as fate, now and then, one pops up with uncharacteristic issues.....well out of warranty.
On the other hand I know of a couple which give no trouble. Yet.

jmb3296

War Hero
I needed a car last year in a hurry
we visited a few dealers to look at a new car, spoke to a nice young lady, and chose a car not of the fat lardy variety, but something I could put tools in and park easily, expected to go for a test drive as they had three different models, nope you have to arrange a test drive with the big penis swinger on the sales desk
a mere girl is not allowed to do this ?
so I arranged an appointment wasted more time driving a 20 mile round trip
went to get in the driving seat, and he roughly shoved me towards the passenger seat
drove it very badly out of town, along the dual carriageway and into the fuel station car park then let me sit in it to drive back, 1 mile !! for fucks sake, I am spending 15 to 20 grand on a new car, I need to see if it will go up hills as it is fitted with a moped engine, i need to try the lights, see how it steers around country lanes, and how it accelerates
it also had the fuel warning light flashing
then to make matters worse as we drove back into Gloucester across the junction he starts telling me which lane to get in, there are no cars behind me I have already checked and I have plenty or room
I mentioned poor visibility as a motorcyclist I am aware of this, and the first car had massive pillars, and a bonnet like a mack truck, so probably ideal for obese people
he was giving it large about motorcycles, but didnt know the correct designation for an R1, its an R1 not an R100
then when we got back to the showroom he slammed the ******* door, I hate people slamming car doors, its ignorant and damages them eventually
my wife could see I was about to tear a strip off him, then he was all nice and slimy trying to get me back to test drive the other car, which was the one I wanted to try in the first place???
although not as expensive so less commission
it gave me a head ache dealing with him

I then decided after two more visits to new car dealers where I was studiously ignored for being working class to buy an old banger and not worry
decided on an ex mod or plod motor
first place the bloke who answered the phone had an awful rude manner, thick as shit, but I gave it a try as you can often get people on the wrong day
nope he was a total and utter cretin, I wandered into their large yard to see several vehicles with the arse hanging out of them, never a good sign it shows a lack thinking
stood outside looking at cars, but the white sock did not even bother to step outside for a chat
I walked away

next place a Focus MK 2 appeared in good order, but the salesman was just too smarmy, and it had a dent in the boot, at 4 grand for a 6 year old car, I would expect it to be sorted, he mumbled something about it would pull out ??
well for 4 grand you ******* pull it out you idiot
I stormed out and left him looking hurt

Last place after a coffee and cakes to calm down, I meet a nice young lady who is switched on and chasing her old man about to clean cars, she finds me a nice ex police car, less dosh than the the other two and a Mk3 , not perfect but it will do me
done a bit of tidying up removing damaged trim and it will need a clutch now after 7 months as the release bearing squeals, , but it runs smoothly and looks smart and makes a fine workshorse, you could buy one run it for 6 months then flog it on, as the log book only shows one owner from new, but no record of who they are
top tip, dont buy an X5 or any four wheel drive ex police vehicle or high performance motor as they will be well tired, but a focus or astra are decent cars and cheap enough

or you could buy a brand new Dacia base model for around 7 grand, run it for a few years then sell it on at a small loss or run it into the ground, might be a bit of a comedown after a range rover, but its quicker in traffic easier to park and cheaper to run as its more efficient
You need to know what you are looking at and doing for ex police cars.
I drove them for 30 years and for 12 mo this was responsible for putting the high end traffic cars to auction.

Top tip, unless you know the history of the traffic car and what it was used for, ie x5s on general traffic duty with different drivers dont touch them.

If you get a chance at an ex driver school police car, or vip prot car take it. It will likely have spent more time being polished than thrashed.

Like motability cars all police cars get their services on schedule and original equipment parts.

Ex police pandas, stay well clear. They are tired, worn out and usually beyond economic retention so disposed of.

There are some cars from squads or unit's that aren't hard worked and sold on at an age point, but they are rare, and you do need to know what you are looking at.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
You need to k ow what you are looking at and doing for ex police cars.
I drove them for 30 years and for 12 mo this was responsible for putting the high end traffic cars to auction.

Too tip, unless you know the history of the traffic car and what it was used for, ie tbex5s St ont touch them.

If you get a chance at an ex driver school police car, or vip prot car take it. It will likely have spent more time being polished than thrashed.

Like morability cars all police cars get their services on schedule and original equipment parts.

Ex police pandas, stay well clear. They are tired, worn out and usually beyond economic retention so disposed of.

There are some cars from squads or u it's that aren't hard worked and sold on at an age point, but they are rare, and you do need to know what you are looking at.
I got a first response car, so usually the same drivers on alternate shifts
all history with it
lots of new panels though !!
and I removed a mile of excess wiring

Carbon 6

War Hero
You need to know what you are looking at and doing for ex police cars.

Top tip, unless you know the history of the traffic car and what it was used for, ie x5s on general traffic duty with different drivers dont touch them.

Like motability cars all police cars get their services on schedule and original equipment parts.

There are some cars from squads or unit's that aren't hard worked and sold on at an age point, but they are rare, and you do need to know what you are looking at.

Regarding car auctions, I've posted this before, but I think it may be interesting.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

haloman

Old-Salt
drove it very badly out of town, along the dual carriageway and into the fuel station car park then let me sit in it to drive back, 1 mile !! for fucks sake, I am spending 15 to 20 grand on a new car, I need to see if it will go up hills as it is fitted with a moped engine, i need to try the lights, see how it steers around country lanes, and how it accelerates
it also had the fuel warning light flashing
then to make matters worse as we drove back into Gloucester across the junction he starts telling me which lane to get in, there are no cars behind me I have already checked and I have plenty or room
Was it Evans Halshaw? They are a countrywide car dealership with big shiny showrooms etc but with the trading ethos of back street cowboys.
I went to look at a car I particularly wanted in the Gloucester branch of EH. According to them it had just been serviced and had an multi (or something) point check. I went round the car with a fine toothcomb. The brake discs had tramlines deeper than the real thing and I took the time to check the air filter. It was full of leaves and twigs. So much for the service it supposedly had just had. It drove okay but the rear camera wasn't working, nor was the park assist. There were several other issues that needed attention.
I drew up a list and said that I would buy the car if all the faults listed were fixed. The young lad seeing to me said that he would need to speak to the sales manager. I asked who I was dealing with? Him or the sales manager? To cut a long story short, they offered me fifty quid off which, with probably a grands worth of jobs needing doing wasn't any kind of deal at all.
They did eventually fix the jobs although a couple had to be done by the Gloucester Mercedes main dealer. The main dealer told me that EH would have to pay for the jobs in advance as they never paid their bills. I don't know if that was true but that's what I was told. While it was with them I paid for a full diagnostic check and that threw up some other problems which EH had to fix
I've now had the car for two and a half years and it has proved trouble free but I wouldn't deal with them again. Likewise, I don't think they would want to deal with me again.

Feckin Evans Halshaw. Won't touch the bastids. I was looking for a new car, and a Focus was one of the contenders. I booked a test drive of the new style Focus. When I got there, they offered me a test drive in a 3 year old model with missing wiper blades. Walked out and went to the dealer next door. Got a good deal on a Honda.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Evans Halshaw - owned by Pendragon, as is Stratstones - very high staff turnover and local management driven by figures alone, very low morale and were downsizing pre-Covid. I've been offered positions with them a few times, never returned the calls or emails.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Was it Evans Halshaw? They are a countrywide car dealership with big shiny showrooms etc but with the trading ethos of back street cowboys.
I went to look at a car I particularly wanted in the Gloucester branch of EH. According to them it had just been serviced and had an multi (or something) point check. I went round the car with a fine toothcomb. The brake discs had tramlines deeper than the real thing and I took the time to check the air filter. It was full of leaves and twigs. So much for the service it supposedly had just had. It drove okay but the rear camera wasn't working, nor was the park assist. There were several other issues that needed attention.
I drew up a list and said that I would buy the car if all the faults listed were fixed. The young lad seeing to me said that he would need to speak to the sales manager. I asked who I was dealing with? Him or the sales manager? To cut a long story short, they offered me fifty quid off which, with probably a grands worth of jobs needing doing wasn't any kind of deal at all.
They did eventually fix the jobs although a couple had to be done by the Gloucester Mercedes main dealer. The main dealer told me that EH would have to pay for the jobs in advance as they never paid their bills. I don't know if that was true but that's what I was told. While it was with them I paid for a full diagnostic check and that threw up some other problems which EH had to fix
I've now had the car for two and a half years and it has proved trouble free but I wouldn't deal with them again. Likewise, I don't think they would want to deal with me again.
Bristol street Dacia probably art of a much larger group

Latest Threads