Used Car Dealers, Is There A Lower Form of Life?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I needed a car last year in a hurry
we visited a few dealers to look at a new car, spoke to a nice young lady, and chose a car not of the fat lardy variety, but something I could put tools in and park easily, expected to go for a test drive as they had three different models, nope you have to arrange a test drive with the big penis swinger on the sales desk
a mere girl is not allowed to do this ?
so I arranged an appointment wasted more time driving a 20 mile round trip
went to get in the driving seat, and he roughly shoved me towards the passenger seat
drove it very badly out of town, along the dual carriageway and into the fuel station car park then let me sit in it to drive back, 1 mile !! for fucks sake, I am spending 15 to 20 grand on a new car, I need to see if it will go up hills as it is fitted with a moped engine, i need to try the lights, see how it steers around country lanes, and how it accelerates
it also had the fuel warning light flashing
then to make matters worse as we drove back into Gloucester across the junction he starts telling me which lane to get in, there are no cars behind me I have already checked and I have plenty or room
I mentioned poor visibility as a motorcyclist I am aware of this, and the first car had massive pillars, and a bonnet like a mack truck, so probably ideal for obese people
he was giving it large about motorcycles, but didnt know the correct designation for an R1, its an R1 not an R100
then when we got back to the showroom he slammed the fucking door, I hate people slamming car doors, its ignorant and damages them eventually
my wife could see I was about to tear a strip off him, then he was all nice and slimy trying to get me back to test drive the other car, which was the one I wanted to try in the first place???
although not as expensive so less commission
it gave me a head ache dealing with him

I then decided after two more visits to new car dealers where I was studiously ignored for being working class to buy an old banger and not worry
decided on an ex mod or plod motor
first place the bloke who answered the phone had an awful rude manner, thick as shit, but I gave it a try as you can often get people on the wrong day
nope he was a total and utter cretin, I wandered into their large yard to see several vehicles with the arse hanging out of them, never a good sign it shows a lack thinking
stood outside looking at cars, but the white sock did not even bother to step outside for a chat
I walked away

next place a Focus MK 2 appeared in good order, but the salesman was just too smarmy, and it had a dent in the boot, at 4 grand for a 6 year old car, I would expect it to be sorted, he mumbled something about it would pull out ??
well for 4 grand you fucking pull it out you idiot
I stormed out and left him looking hurt

Last place after a coffee and cakes to calm down, I meet a nice young lady who is switched on and chasing her old man about to clean cars, she finds me a nice ex police car, less dosh than the the other two and a Mk3 , not perfect but it will do me
done a bit of tidying up removing damaged trim and it will need a clutch now after 7 months as the release bearing squeals, , but it runs smoothly and looks smart and makes a fine workshorse, you could buy one run it for 6 months then flog it on, as the log book only shows one owner from new, but no record of who they are
top tip, dont buy an X5 or any four wheel drive ex police vehicle or high performance motor as they will be well tired, but a focus or astra are decent cars and cheap enough

or you could buy a brand new Dacia base model for around 7 grand, run it for a few years then sell it on at a small loss or run it into the ground, might be a bit of a comedown after a range rover, but its quicker in traffic easier to park and cheaper to run as its more efficient

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I hate buying cars. It's a right royal pain in the backside. OK, if you can buy new, but circumstances have now lead me to need to replace one of our cars.

I have a partially disabled Mother in Law and FiL is now dying of cancer. That means that, when he goes (month, maybe two) I will need to be able to move her and her bits and bobs around.

I have a Range Rover and a little I10 for a run around. She cannot get in the RR, too high, end of. The i10 can't take all her bits, so I've been looking for something in the middle.

Feck me, dealers really are scum! I know that I shouldn't tar them all with the same brush, but all the ones I've seen so far misadvertise the cars to such a degree that it's just ridiculous.

Went to see one yesterday, advertised at top dollar for what it is, a shade under £5k, I travelled nearly 80 miles to see it (socially distanced, of course). Superficially, it looked ok(ish). Bit more wear than the 30k miles would suggest, but it's when you start to look closely you see the details. The roof that has been very poorly repainted and has gone orange peely, the poorly masked and painted side panels all done the near side, the panel gaps that are all over the place, the bonnet was so tight on the near side you could hardly get a piece of paper down it, but the off side you could get fingers through the side. A little more looking and it was obvious that the panels from the front, didn't meet up with the area around the bulkhead/A pillar. They all over rode by around 5 -7mm.

It was really, really clear that this car had been in a bang. A big one at the front that meant that it all had to have been jigged out, but not properly. The front end was obviously very slightly shorter than it started off at, and that was why the panels didn't quite fit. The paintwork was very poor and it had been stuck together really badly.

Anway, whilst I started to walk away (He was in his office, with about 12 other people), he came out to ask if I was interested. I explained that I was disappointed, that I'd clearly asked about the condition of the car before I drove out, about its condition and history. I told him that I didn't appreciate having my plonker pulled like that. He then said that I'd obliviously spotted the major repairs and that he wasn't worried "I'll sell it to someone who won't spot that".

I'm horrified. I'm not saying that the car is dangerous, but it's shorter at the front than it should be, that cannot be good can it?

Not the only bad story over the last few weeks, cars that have different cars shown in the ad (not kidding), dealers that lie and are clearly not going to deal with you fairly once you have bought, you know the sort, the ones that will dissolve the company and re-register it in a slightly different name so even if you go to court you end up having your pants pulled down and cannot get a penny no matter how much they lied and cheated in the first place.

W**kers, one and all! I think I've found a form of life lower than politicians.
I take it this was an 'independent'? Bear in mind that all the authorised dealers send the cars they don't want to retail for whatever reason (age / mileage / damage / expensive repairs needed etc.) to the auctions, this is the prime source of supply for the independent dealers, even some of the 'car supermarkets' use this route although they tend to buy direct from lease companies in the first instance.
Beware of vehicle with an MOT older than a few days, it's not unknown for parts to be put on as vehicle to get it through the test then swapped back...

If you're still looking, give the authorised dealers a go, you'll pay a bit more but the vehicle will be of a standard defined by the brand manufacturer. Be careful of buying a brand that the dealer isn't affiliated with as these will not be to the same standard.
The other option is to go somewhere that the vehicles have been AA or RAC inspected, although they can be hoodwinked, the dealer would rather not have the approval ripped away from them.

The way it generally works with used vehicles is that sales buy them in, workshop inspect & list the items requiring rectification, sales either auth. the work, argue about it then auth. the work or send it to the auction 'as is' it's in the workshops interest to identify and rectify everything for two reasons - a) the work counts towards productivity and therefore bonus, b) the individual tech is legally certifying that the vehicle complies with manufactuer used car standards of safety and fitness for purpose. Most manufacturer used car standards require that the vehicle has an MOT that is less than 3 months old and has no advisories, if you're looking at dealer used cars, ask to see the MOT (no cars should be on the pitch or available for test drive until the prep. has been done) and prep sheet.

I work for an International Automotive group, given the opportunity, I'd happily string all the sales staff up with razor wire, they really are uniquely suited to the stereotype they are portrayed as.

Why is that?
Why not? If you’d bought any of the cars I’d had so far you’d have had a low mileage well looked after diesel.
I imagine that Dingerr is pretty careful about looking after his vehicle, being a responsible sort. Without exception, every single ex-Motab vehicle I've seen has had parking dings, droopy doors, damaged interior parts and suspension issues. I also have it on good authority from an ex-Vauxhall (spit!) employee that Motab vehicles aren't serviced correctly: change the oil and get it out the door. It's only got to last 3 years.

Additionally, a lot of these vehicles are routinely driven not by the disabled person, but by members of their family who don't give a f*ck about looking after the "free" car.

When I worked in DLA, a certain Shinner's nephew was using his Auntie's Motab car as an illegal minicab.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last summer I needed a new car. The Polo was going to be expensive to MOT/service.

Saw a three-year-old Corsa at the local main dealer at a decent price. Home, preparing to buy, Zero Alpha asks, "Is this the car you're buying?" Wrong dealer, £1,100 more, only one year old, and only a four-digit mileage (compared with 36k).

Went to second dealer. "Why is the windscreen price £2,000 more than your internet price?" Manager had been overenthusiastic in his daily price matching, but it was August, they needed to mag to grid and Brexit was casting a long shadow over the industry. Deal.

I had it serviced at my local Halfords this week (I have a strong rapport with the manager, and I've never felt ripped off). Clean as a whistle. Cheers easy.

Good luck getting such good luck.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I imagine that Dingerr is pretty careful about looking after his vehicle, being a responsible sort. Without exception, every single ex-Motab vehicle I've seen has had parking dings, droopy doors, damaged interior parts and suspension issues. I also have it on good authority from an ex-Vauxhall (spit!) employee that Motab vehicles aren't serviced correctly: change the oil and get it out the door. It's only got to last 3 years.

Additionally, a lot of these vehicles are routinely driven not by the disabled person, but by members of their family who don't give a f*ck about looking after the "free" car.

When I worked in DLA, a certain Shinner's nephew was using his Auntie's Motab car as an illegal minicab.
Motab. cars are of two types - OCD clean and 'showroom ready' or complete and utter sheds, the latter type are usually on the flick of some old person that 'needs' to be driven round by their cousin or nephew, they're the ones that 'need' a loaner for a day or two despite a first service taking an hour, have illegal tyres in a third of the mileage the tyres should last for, burn the clutch out and seem to park by the 'contact method'.
I've never known services to be cut back on motab or fleet vehicles, it's not in the dealers interest to do so.

As an aside, I can't understand why Motab customers are allowed to have manual gearbox vehicles, without exception, they get abused (not always intentionally), the record for a burnt-out clutch & DMF was 73 miles on a Ford Kuga...

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
I hate buying cars. It's a right royal pain in the backside. OK, if you can buy new, but circumstances have now lead me to need to replace one of our cars.

I have a partially disabled Mother in Law and FiL is now dying of cancer. That means that, when he goes (month, maybe two) I will need to be able to move her and her bits and bobs around.

I have a Range Rover and a little I10 for a run around. She cannot get in the RR, too high, end of. The i10 can't take all her bits, so I've been looking for something in the middle.

Feck me, dealers really are scum! I know that I shouldn't tar them all with the same brush, but all the ones I've seen so far misadvertise the cars to such a degree that it's just ridiculous.

Went to see one yesterday, advertised at top dollar for what it is, a shade under £5k, I travelled nearly 80 miles to see it (socially distanced, of course). Superficially, it looked ok(ish). Bit more wear than the 30k miles would suggest, but it's when you start to look closely you see the details. The roof that has been very poorly repainted and has gone orange peely, the poorly masked and painted side panels all done the near side, the panel gaps that are all over the place, the bonnet was so tight on the near side you could hardly get a piece of paper down it, but the off side you could get fingers through the side. A little more looking and it was obvious that the panels from the front, didn't meet up with the area around the bulkhead/A pillar. They all over rode by around 5 -7mm.

It was really, really clear that this car had been in a bang. A big one at the front that meant that it all had to have been jigged out, but not properly. The front end was obviously very slightly shorter than it started off at, and that was why the panels didn't quite fit. The paintwork was very poor and it had been stuck together really badly.

Anway, whilst I started to walk away (He was in his office, with about 12 other people), he came out to ask if I was interested. I explained that I was disappointed, that I'd clearly asked about the condition of the car before I drove out, about its condition and history. I told him that I didn't appreciate having my plonker pulled like that. He then said that I'd obliviously spotted the major repairs and that he wasn't worried "I'll sell it to someone who won't spot that".

I'm horrified. I'm not saying that the car is dangerous, but it's shorter at the front than it should be, that cannot be good can it?

Not the only bad story over the last few weeks, cars that have different cars shown in the ad (not kidding), dealers that lie and are clearly not going to deal with you fairly once you have bought, you know the sort, the ones that will dissolve the company and re-register it in a slightly different name so even if you go to court you end up having your pants pulled down and cannot get a penny no matter how much they lied and cheated in the first place.

Only ever bought one used car..never again but i got the c³nt who sold me it.

it gave me a head ache dealing with him
I don’t deal with people like that for anything, there’s always someone else wanting my business.

I had it with Citroen (Pentagon Group) when looking at my last motability car, in the end I told the bloke he was shít and he wasn’t getting my business.

Once I find a business to be reliable they get my business all the time. We always go to the same salesman with Hyundai and I’ll stick with SEAT motability as long as there’s a car suitable.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

I nearly purchased an ex motability Focus, just before it was collected the extended family had used it for rubbish trips, headlining torn, carpets in footwells ripped and smelling,lifted out the dirty stained boot carpet, broken glass soil dogshit food waste, tilted the seats forward, more mess and rips
it was minging, and this had just came into a main dealer, I gather it went out to auction

In the last 6 years I’ve bought or assisted family members in buying 7 cars. All from independent franchises. All provided good service. The Fiat (one car) dealer needed some prodding for a warranty repair, Toyota (5) have been fantastic, never a foot wrong and the even have a plump ginger lass with blue eyes and a mad giggle on the service desk and so far SEAT (1 ) have also been good. Latest one is the SEAT and apart from being a wonderful machine they chucked in three years of servicing. Where we live everyone knows everyone else so word soon gets around if a dealer is a rip off merchant.

I wouldn't buy a used car from a main dealer, and I work for one! Smarmy bullshitting salesmen the lot of 'em.

My current car was bought from an Arab dealer, I dropped that I was in the trade into the conversation & we struck a deal for a tidy Mk3 Mondeo Ghia.

The wifes' Seat lIbiza failed the mot just before Christmas. I put the word about that I was looking and a customer sold me a Kalos for £600 trade. His mechanic is a mate, so wouldn't point me towards a shed. It's not a bad little motor.

My next vehicle is to be bought next March. A minibus from special school coming off contract, that has already been plated at 3.5t, is inspected every 6 weeks, will have a full mot. I've already done the deal with the operator who has an excellent reputation

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't buy a used car from a main dealer, and I work for one! Smarmy bullshitting salesmen the lot of 'em.
Well neither would I, however, we do have the benefit of being 'in the trade'. I was trying to give the best advice for the 'innocent bystanders'. If the OP was 'in the trade' then we wouldn't be having the conversation. The benefit of buying from a franchise dealer is purely one of the prep standard and the chain of recourse should something go wrong, there is no escape from the sales slime.

Issi

War Hero
Is there a lower form of life? Yes, estate agents. Flame throwers were invented for dealing with scum like this.
Can I throw solicitors into the mix?
Hate to derail the topic at hand, but had to do a survey for a solicitor recently.
He cam back with a load of queries , one of them was -

"Have you got any evidence, that this is a semi detached house?"

Eh??

Morning@ Infiltrator,
How much for one of these? Convert to 'Popemobile'. Ram all her shit in. wheel her up(front or rear facing options), and Bob's your aunties sister's brother's cat!
Other trailers available.
Screenshot_20200531-174229_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Good luck in your quest finding an 'Honest Dave' car salesman.
What about, 'What's her name? Cars'? On this site somewhere.

E2a: 'Ling Car's, I think.

Last edited:
Brought a bubble shaped Corsa from a dealer in Germany in 2014, when I lived there.

The VW Polo I was driving at the time was making unhealthy noises. Overshot my intended turn-off on the autobahn, so drove through a village to my intended destination. Saw said Corsa sat out front of a dealers and thought hmmm, went back a bit later and had a better look. They wanted 650 Euro for it.

Went back the following day with a German friend, had a better look, and got them down to 500 Euro and paid the (Russian) dealer off.

My brother in the UK runs a small garage repairing motors, so the next visit to the UK, went in to see him. The car didn't even need a service, as my brother said, it has recently been done, and the timing belt changed.

Went on to do about 95,000 miles before the by then dying Corsa was written-off. Best car I ever had. And the next best was another Corsa of the same shape.

Last edited:

My current car was bought from an Arab dealer, I dropped that I was in the trade into the conversation & we struck a deal for a tidy Mk3 Mondeo Ghia.

The wifes' Seat lIbiza failed the mot just before Christmas. I put the word about that I was looking and a customer sold me a Kalos for £600 trade. His mechanic is a mate, so wouldn't point me towards a shed. It's not a bad little motor.

My next vehicle is to be bought next March. A minibus from special school coming off contract, that has already been plated at 3.5t, is inspected every 6 weeks, will have a full mot. I've already done the deal with the operator who has an excellent reputation

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Or get one serviced by one.

Last edited:
Brought a bubble shaped Corsa from a dealer in Germany in 2014, when I lived there.

The VW Polo I was driving at the time was making unhealthy noises. Overshot my intended turn-off on the autobahn, so drove through a village to my intended destination. Saw said Corsa sat out front of a dealers and thought hmmm, went back a bit later and had a better look. They wanted 650 Euro for it.

Went back the following day with a German friend, had a better look, and got them down to 500 Euro and paid the (Russian) dealer off.

My brother in the UK runs a small garage repairing motors, so the next visit to the UK, went in to see him. The car didn't even need a service, as my brother said, it has recently been done, and the timing belt changed.

Went on to do about 95;000 miles before the by then dying Corsa was written-off. Best car I ever had. And the next best was another Corsa of the same shape.
You’re a Vauxhall driver, hahahahaha, hahahahaha, hehehehehehehe, hahahahaha haha. Mong.

Latest Threads