Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Used 4x4

We drive Discos, Shoguns and Land Cruisers at work. The Disco has pure grunt power, the Cruiser is much more like a car to drive and the Shogun is just a bloody tractor! Have you tried seeing where Lloyds autolease get rid of their ex contract lease cars at auction. One of our 2 year old Land Cruisers went at auction for 12 grand, i'm pretty sure you could get something cheaper. ;)

BiscuitsAB said:
I have been pondering for a period of time the purchase of a Toybota Hisurf also called a forerunner.

I'd buy one quick. Before they are all recalled. Because the fucking brakes dont work.

Or, you could buy a Defender. The heater is crap, but at least they stop.

Hope this helps?

TheIronDuke said:
BiscuitsAB said:
I have been pondering for a period of time the purchase of a Toybota Hisurf also called a forerunner.

I'd buy one quick. Before they are all recalled. Because the fucking brakes dont work.

Or, you could buy a Defender. The heater is crap, but at least they stop.

Hope this helps?

dont need brakes intned to hav FO winch on the front and use Bmw's to slow down on.

BiscuitsAB said:
Right you lot

anyone got one or an opinion? ( fcuking silly question this is ARRSE we've all got an opinion)

Had one (a grey import from Japan) in Zim for a year or so. Utterly brilliant in every department. And that's coming from a LR fanatic.

BiscuitsAB said:
dont need brakes intned to hav FO winch on the front and use Bmw's to slow down on.

Strong drink is a terrible thing to behold in an older man.

Hoy, Aged...

you cant use BMW's to slow down, just because they are younger and better dressed, which lets face it, aint hard. Using BMW's to slow down is just bad and wrong.

Whiskybreath said:
BiscuitsAB said:
Right you lot

anyone got one or an opinion? ( fcuking silly question this is ARRSE we've all got an opinion)

Had one (a grey import from Japan) in Zim for a year or so. Utterly brilliant in every department. And that's coming from a LR fanatic.

Thanks mate. i keep hearing the same thing about them.

BiscuitsAB said:
Whiskybreath said:
BiscuitsAB said:
Right you lot

Toyotas are africa proof (or as far as possible), downsides of them in UK -
- Styling/models- UK models seem to cater for the WAGs alot of the time(certainly seen very few of the standard type Toyota Gib pushes out in UK)

-Fuel economy - some models thristy - petrol is not a sensible way to go!

-Parts in some cases,

BUT the reliability index and the sheer bombproofness make up for them. Take it you're looking at the hilux surf/forerunner twin cab thing?

smallbrownprivates said:
and the sheer bombproofness

Jesus, that fat ugly git on Top Gear has much to answer for.

Right, pick your cliff?

You go off in a Nippon Sunrise Kamikazi red Toyota girly pickup.

I'll go off in a Defender.

Lets see who comes back up strapped to a spinal board?

TheIronDuke said:
smallbrownprivates said:
and the sheer bombproofness

Jesus, that fat ugly git on Top Gear has much to answer for.

Right, pick your cliff?

You go off in a Nippon Sunrise Kamikazi red Toyota girly pickup.

I'll go off in a Defender.

Lets see who comes back up strapped to a spinal board?

Had a hilux long before clarkson picked his test subject. Got trashed in a load of places and kept going. Oldman is LR through and through, but even he envied its survivability.
LRs in Africa can be split into 2 types: white/pristine used by HMG or some NGOs in a capital city or a trashed wreck in a junkyard
Work wise, LRs have been out for a while as Toyota roll cages (external and internal) are not a special order.

smallbrownprivates said:
BiscuitsAB said:
Whiskybreath said:
BiscuitsAB said:
Right you lot

Toyotas are africa proof (or as far as possible), downsides of them in UK -
- Styling/models- UK models seem to cater for the WAGs alot of the time(certainly seen very few of the standard type Toyota Gib pushes out in UK)

-Fuel economy - some models thristy - petrol is not a sensible way to go!

-Parts in some cases,

BUT the reliability index and the sheer bombproofness make up for them. Take it you're looking at the hilux surf/forerunner twin cab thing?

Yes mate thats the puppy.Looked at a few around the H-L reg and they seem to be a lot of vehicle for bugger all money. the 2.5 D seem to be very reliable.

Im not bothered about styling etc, im looking for something that will do the job of a 4X4 well and will still let me trek it to the NW corner of Scotland or even the length of Norway and back.

Well, after everyones advice) finally took the plunge and last week I bought a Disco 2 TD5 ES. Nice machine. Low miles, full service history from a reputable dealer too. Picked it up the next day and by the time I'd driven it home (about 60 miles) I had all the dash flashing at me to indicate a gearbox fault! Nice! How good it is to be back with Land Rovers after all these years. Anyway, dealer took a look the next day and within 15 minutes I had all my money back and was back to square one!

I've bought an M class now. Pick it up tomorrow. Hope this is better than the disco!