Use of Trident Would be Illegal

#3
Perhaps Mr Singh QC could explain that to the government of his forefathers.
Last time I looked, they (together with Pakistan, just to add balance :)) seemed the most
likely to actually use one.
 
#4
Typical human rights lawyers bleating on. Don't they realise that it's because of the deterrent effect of these weapons that they are able to whinge so much about human rights in the first place?

As they say in the Russian Navy....

Toughski Shitski
 
#5
To be fair (to the western govts) when was the last time nuclear weapons were used?

With the amount of planning and analysis required (not to mention the expence) with precision weapons, I think that the western powers are trying pretty damn hard to avoid civilian and collateral damage.

Edited to add: MS164, go away.
 
#7
it's all bo11ocks of course....
 
#8
why dont we unload the royal navys entire stock of tridents on france to test this theory that it is unlawful if it is proven to be unlawful well we will have got rid of france so we would have to pay the compensation to a small pacific island that the frogs had flatened with a nuc its a win win situation
 
#9
I am afraid that politically to become a non nuclear power would be stupid, out permanent seat on the UN Security council is in part atrributable to the fact we are a nuclear power. It ratehr depends on the point of its use. If it is a deterrent against attack on the UK mainland then I would suggest that if these weapons were to be used it is likley to be as a result of an equally indescriminate attack on the UK. If we have nuclear weapons for use against aggressor nations that are not themselves nuclear then I would agree, we would clearly be illegal. However if we reach the point of using them I doubt that we will care about the International Court of Justice.
 
#11
Fair enough point I suppose. I just have two rather practical questions:

In the event of a nuclear war:

1. Where would they find someone alive left to prosecute?
2. Where would they find a courtroom?
 
#12
Perevodchik said:
StabTiffy2B said:
To be fair (to the western govts) when was the last time nuclear weapons were used?

Errr, by a Western government....
What part of Stabtiffys question got you so confused? By a western government was obviously sixty years ago
 
#13
tsar_Nikolas said:
Perevodchik said:
StabTiffy2B said:
To be fair (to the western govts) when was the last time nuclear weapons were used?

Errr, by a Western government....
What part of Stabtiffys question got you so confused? By a western government was obviously sixty years ago
It was a retorical question. I was attempting to highlight the fact that we spend so much time and effort using precision weapons.

I'll be less subtle in future.
 
#15
Perevodchik said:
Sorry mate, couldn't resist it. Next time I'll stick a smiley on it.
Still chums?
There we go, got a bite out of me!
 
#16
StabTiffy2B said:
tsar_Nikolas said:
Perevodchik said:
StabTiffy2B said:
To be fair (to the western govts) when was the last time nuclear weapons were used?

Errr, by a Western government....
What part of Stabtiffys question got you so confused? By a western government was obviously sixty years ago
It was a retorical question. I was attempting to highlight the fact that we spend so much time and effort using precision weapons.

I'll be less subtle in future.
Mind you if some of the Septics got their way with the nuclear bunker busters...
 
#18
The paradox of nuclear deterrence is that it has to be a credible threat to be effective. That means potential enemies have to believe that a government has the political will to use them.

But if they are used, deterrence has failed and the nukes are no longer doing they job they were bought for.
 
#19
I am afraid that politically to become a non nuclear power would be stupid, out permanent seat on the UN Security council is in part atrributable to the fact we are a nuclear power.
Remind me, when are India, Pakistan, and North Korea getting their permanent seats? Besides, we have a veto over such things.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top