Use of the word "troop".

Discussion in 'Officers' started by dra1n5, Apr 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviously this is a sign of my age, but it really grates when an individual soldier (or even sailor or airman) is referred to as a "troop" in the media.

Can all you journalists out there (we know you check ARRSE all the time for stories) please take note that a Troop is collective noun - you wouldn't call one cow a herd, would you?

More specifically a Troop is a sub-unit of cavalry or gunners.
  2. ... or RM, or SAS, etc..

Actually, I'm not so sure - is 'troops' not the collective noun for servicemen? In which case the use of 'troop' would be correct - rather than 'Troop' which would mean what you said. Now, the incorrect use of 'Commando' - that's a gripper, how can one individual consitute the amphibious equivalent of an Inf Bn? Ridiculous (unless he was airborne, of course!). Seriously though, that Iraqi fishing boat must have been massive if the boarding party was constituted by 15 Commandos and matelots... not to mention the size of that WREN!
  3. Prior to my whinge I did check the dictionaries and they all defined a troop or troops as a group.

Also refers to a group of monkeys, of course!
  4. I'll just dress myself off to the flank and give myself a good rifting...
  5. The correct collective noun for Monkeys is of course a filth.
  6. Of course, to add illustration, its worth noting that the term Troop (capital T) also confers its relationship to the other tiers in its direct hierarchal lineage (eg, Squadron and Regiment); in a similar way that the term Platoon is related to Company and Battalion.

Other organistions that use the term Troop as a unit description include (off the top of my head):

Girl Guides

Of course, troop is also a verb; as in 'to troop the colour' (or similar).
  7. Wrong with the last one. The correct collective noun for a group of Girl Guides is a 'Glory'.
  8. all from

i suppose with the way language develops, one could take "troops" as the plural and therefore "troop" becomes the singular...

i have no real objection to somebody saying "our returning troops" or "lets talk to some of the troops"... but if they said "this troop is about to see his wife", i would bash them with a dictionary.
  9. And in some cases a member of a Troop is a Trooper.
  10. Trooping the Colour.
  11. I'm more than happy to be corrected on that one. What's your excuse? You clearly know too much.
  12. Isn't it a troupe of monkies, a whoop of gorillas, and a flange of baboons ?.
  13. Apparently you can refer to both monkeys and baboons as a troop, additionally monkeys can be called a cartload(?!?) or a tribe, plus it's a band of Gorillas. Lions are also a troop, in case anyone was interested... and kangaroos... and foxes...
  14. FWIW, addressing a soldier as 'Troop' isn't a problem over on this side of the water.

"Oi! Troop! Get over here!"

Not that I advocate taking English lessons from Americans, of course.

15. My suggested collective nouns...

Officers - a confusion

Subbies - a skive

SNCOs - a fury

JNCOs - a beasting/a gripping