Use of the word "troop".

#1
Obviously this is a sign of my age, but it really grates when an individual soldier (or even sailor or airman) is referred to as a "troop" in the media.

Can all you journalists out there (we know you check ARRSE all the time for stories) please take note that a Troop is collective noun - you wouldn't call one cow a herd, would you?

More specifically a Troop is a sub-unit of cavalry or gunners.
 
#2
dra1n5 said:
Obviously this is a sign of my age, but it really grates when an individual soldier (or even sailor or airman) is referred to as a "troop" in the media.

Can all you journalists out there (we know you check ARRSE all the time for stories) please take note that a Troop is collective noun - you wouldn't call one cow a herd, would you?

More specifically a Troop is a sub-unit of cavalry or gunners.
... or RM, or SAS, etc..

Actually, I'm not so sure - is 'troops' not the collective noun for servicemen? In which case the use of 'troop' would be correct - rather than 'Troop' which would mean what you said. Now, the incorrect use of 'Commando' - that's a gripper, how can one individual consitute the amphibious equivalent of an Inf Bn? Ridiculous (unless he was airborne, of course!). Seriously though, that Iraqi fishing boat must have been massive if the boarding party was constituted by 15 Commandos and matelots... not to mention the size of that WREN!
 
#3
Prior to my whinge I did check the dictionaries and they all defined a troop or troops as a group.

Also refers to a group of monkeys, of course!
 
#6
Of course, to add illustration, its worth noting that the term Troop (capital T) also confers its relationship to the other tiers in its direct hierarchal lineage (eg, Squadron and Regiment); in a similar way that the term Platoon is related to Company and Battalion.

Other organistions that use the term Troop as a unit description include (off the top of my head):

RLC
RE
RHA
Girl Guides

Of course, troop is also a verb; as in 'to troop the colour' (or similar).
 
#7
Dragstrip said:
Of course, to add illustration, its worth noting that the term Troop (capital T) also confers its relationship to the other tiers in its direct hierarchal lineage (eg, Squadron and Regiment); in a similar way that the term Platoon is related to Company and Battalion.

Other organistions that use the term Troop as a unit description include (off the top of my head):

RLC
RE
RHA
Girl Guides

Of course, troop is also a verb; as in 'to troop the colour' (or similar).
Wrong with the last one. The correct collective noun for a group of Girl Guides is a 'Glory'.
 
#8
all from dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
troop /trup/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[troop] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun 1. an assemblage of persons or things; company; band.
2. a great number or multitude: A whole troop of children swarmed through the museum.
3. Military. an armored cavalry or cavalry unit consisting of two or more platoons and a headquarters group.
4. troops, a body of soldiers, police, etc.: Mounted troops quelled the riot.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source troop (trōōp) Pronunciation Key
n.
A group or company of people, animals, or things. See Synonyms at band2, flock1.

A group of soldiers.
troops Military units; soldiers. A unit of cavalry, armored vehicles, or artillery in a European army, corresponding to a platoon in the U.S. Army.
WordNet - Cite This Source

troops

noun
soldiers collectively
i suppose with the way language develops, one could take "troops" as the plural and therefore "troop" becomes the singular...

i have no real objection to somebody saying "our returning troops" or "lets talk to some of the troops"... but if they said "this troop is about to see his wife", i would bash them with a dictionary.
 
#11
Dilfor said:
Dragstrip said:
Of course, to add illustration, its worth noting that the term Troop (capital T) also confers its relationship to the other tiers in its direct hierarchal lineage (eg, Squadron and Regiment); in a similar way that the term Platoon is related to Company and Battalion.

Other organistions that use the term Troop as a unit description include (off the top of my head):

RLC
RE
RHA
Girl Guides

Of course, troop is also a verb; as in 'to troop the colour' (or similar).
Wrong with the last one. The correct collective noun for a group of Girl Guides is a 'Glory'.
I'm more than happy to be corrected on that one. What's your excuse? You clearly know too much.
 
#13
Apparently you can refer to both monkeys and baboons as a troop, additionally monkeys can be called a cartload(?!?) or a tribe, plus it's a band of Gorillas. Lions are also a troop, in case anyone was interested... and kangaroos... and foxes...
 
#14
FWIW, addressing a soldier as 'Troop' isn't a problem over on this side of the water.

"Oi! Troop! Get over here!"

Not that I advocate taking English lessons from Americans, of course.

NTM
 
#17
so what collective do we have for a State Troper in the US..

dont know just thought I would add it to the other epic e-mails on this topic ...


suerly its not State tropers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
#19
mustak said:
Apparently you can refer to both monkeys and baboons as a troop, additionally monkeys can be called a cartload(?!?) or a tribe, plus it's a band of Gorillas. Lions are also a troop, in case anyone was interested... and kangaroos... and foxes...
I always thought it was a "pride" of lions...
 

Latest Threads