Use of the Folding Ladder for USMC Recce Patrol Extractions in Vietnam

Letting the ladder Earth is a very important instruction. I’ve had to hook up an undersung load before, you only ever forget to discharge the static once.

In my post 4 I think that I should have elaborated a bit. It's posts like JJHs that are very informative and otherwise something that we would probably never have heard about.
I have worked with a number of US armed forces personnel (actually mostly Uncle Sams Air Force and two Grunts) for most of them Vietnam was unspectacular even boring, although one bloke Maj Jim K was an unwilling guest of the Hanoi Hilton. His stories were definitely different.

Rhodie's had the best idea, load up in chopper's, parachute out at low altitude, win the fire fight, regroup, jump back in the chopper's and repeat.

DC 3's were also used.

Rhodie's had the best idea, load up in chopper's, parachute out at low altitude, win the fire fight, regroup, jump back in the chopper's and repeat.

DC 3's were also used.
Of course these units were not inserted to fight and only did so when compromised, usually outgunned by larger enemy forces.

"Buda arrived in Vietnam in November 1967. After 13 months, 45 patrols, six combat dives, and two purple hearts, the 20 year old platoon sergeant was an invaluable resource."

20 years old? Jeez.

DC 3's were also used.
Dynamic combat BASE jumping
What was it, around 300, or 400 feet they used to lob at. Minimal air time to minimise the chance of getting shot.

I remember seeing a filmed report or two on UK telly new's at the time where this chap jumped at the low height with the Fireforce. Lord Richard Cecil - Wikipedia

Can anyone inform me just what a combat dive is or was?
These Marines don't appear to be near any water.

"Buda arrived in Vietnam in November 1967. After 13 months, 45 patrols, six combat dives, and two purple hearts, the 20 year old platoon sergeant was an invaluable resource."

20 years old? Jeez.
I had the privilege of leading a number of Marines with similar stories and ages. Due to high officer casualty rates, many platoons and even companies were led by NCOs and battlefield-commissioned "junior" officers.

Can anyone inform me just what a combat dive is or was?
These Marines don't appear to be near any water.
The enemy would cache weapons etc. in bodies of water and also use swimmers as sappers that on occasion would have to be interdicted or screened against. Here is more on the subject:

https://bzohistory.com/robert-hughes/

Last edited:
The story illustrates the chaos of a situation like that. Its easy to dismiss people using the word "Chaos" as succumbing to cliche (although often they are I suppose) when they talk about stuff like this. Lt Adams (the helicopter pilot) never met any of the guys he lifted out according to the article. People whose fates are inextricably linked can be meters (or seconds) apart yet never meet.

The enemy would cache weapons etc. in bodies of water and also use swimmers as sappers that on occasion would have to be interdicted or screened against.
Thank you.
All I can say that in the two tours I did there, that was never brought up so that we should search those areas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kit_Monkey Classified Ads 12
blonde_guy Finance, Property, Law 130
Bris Health and Fitness 55