Use of Stab Vest by RMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Jus wanted to see if anyone else had heard the same... the Pro Coy Im currently serving with has had a directive from our CO stating that we are no longer allowed to wear our stab vests unless the threat is IDENTIFIABLE... now what happens when the threat is unidentifiable?? I think this is a ridiculous directive, and just goes to show how out of touch our superiors are... I've heard its got something to do with looking to aggressive!?!
 
#2
Just goes to show what a generation of Health and Safety nonsense can do. Not so long ago RMP Duty Order was No2 Dress hat, clothes and shoes. Please tell me how many RMP have been murdered on Garrison Duties in the last 20 years? Oh and by the way, hand cuffs and truncheons were rarely issued as well.
 
#4
Today the RMP do a lot more out of garrison policing... generations have changed, with some having very little respect for authority and also there are those who carry weapons.
 
#5
B0ll0cks! Some people are just scared.
 
#7
Quite simply that RMP have always carried out joint patrols with Civilian Police all over the world in societies equally as violent as any that exist to-day. Quite simple a pair of trousers, a shirt and a Red Hat were more than enough clothing to carry out the task. All through the 50s, 60's, 70's, 80's and most of the 90's RMP managed to go out on patrol without any other item of 'protective equipment' unless there was a specific threat.

Since then, although squaddies do the same old nonsense in the same old places dressing up as a cross between Worzel Gummage and Robo Cop seems to be the norm. Could someone explain what threat profile justifies this or is it just as I suggest H&S nonsense. Please include casualty figures.
 

nark

Old-Salt
#8
On the subject, RMP used to be among the smartest soldiers in the Army.

Today's lot are a right scruffy shower - some of the ones I have seen have gungy No 2 Dress shirts with green pullovers, shiney barrack dress trousers, worn out and dirty berets, light coloured civvy socks with unbrushed BCH.

They are always polite and well mannered though, as would be expected.
 
#9
40,000 civlian police officers in the England and Wales were threatened with a knife in 2007.
7,000 were threatened with a firearm in 2006/07.

Statistics from the Police Federation indicate that those stabbing incidents which occurred were from an unidentifiable threat.

Source: BBC

Today the RMP work with UK CivPol, which wasn't the case yestayear. The reason behind the RMP being given Stab Vests was partly as a result of an attack on a patrol in Germany, which left one member of the patrol in hospital for a lengthy period. The generations which join the Army today have changed, more carry weapons, more use or supply controlled substances, more have no respect for authority, the shift in a generations attitude is not deniable.
 
#10
The reason a lot of duty rig worn by the RMP may look scuffy is because it is no longer issued and replacements cannot be sought, but the heirachy will not allow a change into C95 as this is to aggressive for us. The RMP are awaiting projct PECOC.
 
#11
GoneWrong said:
40,000 civlian police officers in the England and Wales were threatened with a knife in 2007.
7,000 were threatened with a firearm in 2006/07.

Statistics from the Police Federation indicate that those stabbing incidents which occurred were from an unidentifiable threat.

Source: BBC

Today the RMP work with UK CivPol, which wasn't the case yestayear. The reason behind the RMP being given Stab Vests was partly as a result of an attack on a patrol in Germany, which left one member of the patrol in hospital for a lengthy period. The generations which join the Army today have changed, more carry weapons, more use or supply controlled substances, more have no respect for authority, the shift in a generations attitude is not deniable.

Again B0ll0cks RMP have always had people injured on duty, some very seriously but it does not justify stab vests as a matter of routine.
 
#12
You have said it yourself, the fact is that it was deemed that RMP should be issued with Stab Vests... and they were, the stab vests are here, everyone has one, but now are denied the opportunity to wear them.
 
#13
And a good thing too!
 
#15
Please explain?
 
#16
I remember never going out with a bloody stab vest and always feeling ok...

I also remember someone deciding that we had to have them on all the time and sitting in the police station from half 6 on a tuesday night until 7 on a wednesday morning with a stupid stab vest on while writing a final report...

Stab vests - what a load of bollocks. A squaddie isn't going to stab you.
 
#17
It was only five or six years ago that the British Army patrolled in soft skin vehicles in Basra. Since then it has got progressively worse until MAS vehicles are used, osprey and 6A are worn. As a young thruster I have experienced this - the old and bold attitude has to be changed to go with the trend of the modern world. Its different out there now and the threat is different. This whole "in my day" crap doesnt wash anymore - deal with it. Policing in the Uk is different as you will see from the ARG units that roll around with G36 with Acog sights and pistols and mags hanging off them. Civ Pol routinely task ARG units to scenes involving violent offenders that have NO history of carrying weapons or firearms. Its called "what if" planning - same as firing a javelin at one taliban a kilometre away. If you have the oppurtunity to be safe then why not use it. The dress uniform is outdated i grant you but given PPE we are stupid not to wear it. Obviously if you go to take a statement from someone at three in the afternoon its not practical but for regular patrolling and assisting civ pol it makes sense to wear it at all times since u CANT predict when a random incident will occur and I for one will not be happy with my 10 grand compensation for getting stabbed in the gut - hence im not going to take the risk for a poxy job back home when on tour you are rocketed and shot at on a regular basis. It changes your outlook on things. Being old and bold i bet its been a while since you were on the ground somewhere tasty tho...
 
#18
Tired_Chimp,

A lot of policing carried out by RMP in the UK is in on behalf of, or in conjunction with, Civ Pol. And I know a few squaddies on our Int Briefs who have, lets say, a tasty history.
Given, I'm not quite sure why you wore them IN the station, common sense should've dictated.
 
#19
tired_chimp said:
I remember never going out with a bloody stab vest and always feeling ok...

I also remember someone deciding that we had to have them on all the time and sitting in the police station from half 6 on a tuesday night until 7 on a wednesday morning with a stupid stab vest on while writing a final report...

Stab vests - what a load of balls. A squaddie isn't going to stab you.
Of course not

admittedly that was recriut on recruit, but even so I wouldn't have expected a stabbing at a training establishment at all. One would assume that the threat of a stabbing there is low to nil, however it did happen.
A sensible policy on this particular piece of PPE is needed.
 
#20
GoneWrong said:
Tired_Chimp,

A lot of policing carried out by RMP in the UK is in on behalf of, or in conjunction with, Civ Pol. And I know a few squaddies on our Int Briefs who have, lets say, a tasty history.
Given, I'm not quite sure why you wore them IN the station, common sense should've dictated.
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't aware of what policing we done here in the UK from the safety of my... erm.... UK-based Pro Coy.
The vast majority of patrols in the UK is nothing to do with civpol, so don't give me the bullshit that we could be tasked to anything by them.
Maybe you just need to do a little more time, gain a little more experience before you make any judgement calls. Sometimes it's best to talk to people instead of getting all Robocop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top