Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use of Regimental Cells ?

It was in gate sentry standing orders to check mod 90 before allowing anyone in usually thanks to the rsm so if embarrassing the rsm was the outcome it was a win in my opinion

In my time, it was Garrison Standing Orders and was vigorously enforced. I've turned my 2I/C around because he'd left his at home, with absolutely no repercussions.

As for cells, yep, ours were quite nice. However, the ones at BZ were very nice indeed....Colly (old), was another story and we had a thread on here a few years back about it.

Err...don’t care who your prisoner is/was. Standing orders stated everyone must show ID on entering. If RMP then said their prisoner was not to be identified, Gd Sgt would be called and an entry made in the book.
Excellent. Problem solved.
The guard’s RSM was free to either call me or my RSM for an explanation.

But I know a piss-taker when I see one.

Excellent. Problem solved.
The guard’s RSM was free to either call me or my RSM for an explanation.

But I know a piss-taker when I see one.
I sure do. Whenever did you bring in someone whose identity was so flipping secret? We were all briefed on lads smuggling friends/women for immoral purposes.
This was the early 1990s, and I think, sometimes, but can’t recall specifics, that persons may have entered camp.
The RMP doing it? Not on my watch.

I thought that the Royal Regiment of Wales only had one battalion - 1 RRW. Their TA battalion was 3RRW. Hadn't it amalgamated with 1 RWF to become the Royal Welch or something like that?
You are correct: 1 RRW + 1 RWF = 1 RWR! In about 2008/9 I think.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I was told a few years ago the military custody staff are trained to the same requirements as civilian and the cells must meet correct requirements. The introduction of these standards stopped the locking up in regimental guardrooms - and no bad thing in my view . Take my station for example, built in 1960. The cells there have not been used as such since about 2000 and they now house lockers - and the b'stard lights in mine don't work. There are exposed pipes [ligature points] grills [sharps] and hard corners, trap doors etc. modrn cells are all smooth corners, properly painted and CCTV covered. Anyone in custody is risk assessed to the Nth degree. Everyone is assessed by a nurse on arrival and there are strict ratios of staff to 'guests' If, say, the civilian Custody & Detention Officer is off sick and there is only one Custody Sgt on, then a call might go out for a PC who is 'Jailor' trained to assist. If not then expect the call to go out that custody is now full.

An inspector of my acquaint was one of two custody Sgts on duty when there was a death in custody. I was upstairs and remember the sh1t hitting the fan in spectacular fashion. The IPOC inquiry took three years to clear them. custody Sgts have something of a reputation for being miserable cnuts though like any part of the Job there are good ones and bad ones. Most of the ones I deal with are ok. They carry a heavy burden.

I sure do. Whenever did you bring in someone whose identity was so flipping secret? We were all briefed on lads smuggling friends/women for immoral purposes.
This was the early 1990s, and I think, sometimes, but can’t recall specifics, that persons may have entered camp.
The RMP doing it? Not on my watch.
When I didn’t want my risk assessment to go through the roof. Suspects of serious sexual offences are at a high suicide risk, and the lad was clearly in shit state. So I made the decision to not disclose his identity to the 18 yr old private on the gate.
Also:
1. Do you think the RMP would smuggle someone onto a camp (onto a camp where RMP didn’t live)?
2. Would we smuggle someone on when he was in cuffs and crying?

Your initial post was clearly aimed at showing how you tried to f*ck the RMP around to show how you got one over on us, ‘orders are orders...’
You’re the one getting a sad on when we use our authority to overrule yours, out jobsworth’ing you?

It’s for that reason that all army (and indeed other services) staff are so trained. The MPS are highly trained, and simply leaving things to the best intentions of the unit are not enough.
The Unit putting people in the slammer isn’t enough. MCTC can, and has, turned lives around.

I joined the RMP in 1989 and it was obvious even then that with the implementation of PACE 1984, the days of the guardroom cells administered by the RPs were numbered.

The first thing that happened was that all unit RPs had to attend a detention course run by the MPS at Colchester and the days of just randomly jailing people without due process were numbered. Though this may have been more of an arse-covering exercise by MOD rather than any desire to ensure the rights of SUS and SUCA.

What really hastened the demise of the unit-run guardrooms was the situation in a certain major unit in the late 90s, where about a dozen soldiers who'd tested positive on CDT were banged-up without charge (in minging sports kit) and without access to legal representation for several days. The CO and Adjt along with several others in the CoC were arrested and investigated by the SIB.

It was a massive fail in the treatment and detention of 'suspects', and hugely ironic when you consider that post-CDT action is an administrative rather than a disciplinary procedure.

ETA: the unit followed the wrong procedure to start with and then managed to cock that up majorly.

Last edited:
When I didn’t want my risk assessment to go through the roof. Suspects of serious sexual offences are at a high suicide risk, and the lad was clearly in shit state. So I made the decision to not disclose his identity to the 18 yr old private on the gate.
Also:
1. Do you think the RMP would smuggle someone onto a camp (onto a camp where RMP didn’t live)?
2. Would we smuggle someone on when he was in cuffs and crying?

Your initial post was clearly aimed at showing how you tried to f*ck the RMP around to show how you got one over on us, ‘orders are orders...’
You’re the one getting a sad on when we use our authority to overrule yours, out jobsworth’ing you?
Yes, the RMP used to smuggle people into camp. Sometimes especially where they might not live. I left in 1995. Stop pretending you are a hero. If you moved a sex offender (alleged or otherwise) through the main gate, then I would expect a phone call ahead. And the guard Sgt to turn out (secret or not).
Now let’s stop this nonsense, shall we? I was in charge of gate. If I knew ‘em, they got in. All the authority I needed.

Now let’s stop this nonsense, shall we? I was in charge of gate. If I knew ‘em, they got in. All the authority I needed.

Standing orders stated everyone must show ID on entering. If RMP then said their prisoner was not to be identified, Gd Sgt would be called and an entry made in the book.
Which is it?
Either way this was nearly 15 years ago. So yeah, I’m happy to leave it.

the last guard in Fally who tried to push that with me got ‘invited’ to accompany me for obstructing a Provost Officer. Funnily enough he relented in his insistence on seeing my prisoners MOD90.

It’s amazing that no one actually thinks about the reasons behind why the orders are given and use them to try and get one over on the RMP in the most minor of ways, instead of working with us...

Mate, don't be so naive. The RMP have the highest BARB test score requirement of all.

The perception of the rest of the Army, right or wrong, is that the RMP exist solely to get one over on the rest of the Army. The enemy within, if you will.

REME Air Techs, R SIGNALS EW Ops, INT CORPS analysts, your guys have to be more intelligent than all of them. Let alone the thick-as-mince end of the stick.

Why on earth would the rest of the Army make the RMP's job easier, when it's clearly to fcuk the rest around?

Not that I'm guilty of any of this, I don't think I once spoke to an RMP soldier in their role during my service. I did do a couple of courses with a couple, and I found them to be generally OK. My only interaction with Service Police was with the RAFP, and they were easy to fcuk around :)

They keep that fucking well hidden.
However, we do like to keep our hair cut to the norms defined by military regulations and also have less of a tendency to call commissioned officers 'mate'!!

REME Air Techs, R SIGNALS EW Ops, INT CORPS analysts, your guys have to be more intelligent than all of them.
Yet blokes from all regiments and corps manage to get into the civilian police and pass all the exams with just as high marks as ex RMP. Even Guardsmen - in fact some of them have done really well.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Any chance I could sue the army for unlawful detention?

I only told the Cpl to feck off and do it himself, well we were mates and I was going out to see a rather attractive lady, how was I to know the RSM was just round the corner? He came storming round red as a fecking beetroot he was “Cpl are you going to allow that”? before he could reply the scream of “lock him up, lock him up” filled the air and he riffed me all the way to the guardroom for an evening of purgatory.
Ended up with seven days ROPS.
There were a few other nights on close arrest, pissed first night in Berlin getting nicked by the local police, night in guardroom.
A record, said the RSM next day, well thank you “It’s not a fecking compliment“ was his reply, he must have thought I had hearing problems as he was shouting a lot.
Must be worth a few quid surely.

Latest Threads