Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use of Regimental Cells ?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dear Monke..........admired and respected colleagues,
(not you @BossHogg :) )

I was just musing on my time in Cells at McMullen Barracks...as Guard Commander, not inmate.

Back in the evil 1990s, Barracks were stopped from using their Guardhouse cells to hold lowlife chancers for short periods.

My hazy memory says this was down to strict UK adherence to some Brussels nonsense. (ECHR?) ?

Gen noob no-mark question, no wah: will this tedious piece of pointless legislation continue to apply post January 2021?

Broader point: what else will be affected in the sphere of mil discipline ?

Apologies for disturbing the calm of the Senior Common Room...coat fetched.

964ST

Old-Salt
Yep! 7 days Arborfield, bumping ceilings with hand bumpers (thank-fück the Irish RP was too thick that he had not yet discovered that electricity existed)

endure

GCM

I was just musing on my time in Cells at McMullen Barracks...as Guard Commander, not inmate.

Back in the evil 1990s, Barracks were stopped from using their Guardhouse cells to hold lowlife chancers for short periods.

My hazy memory says this was down to strict UK adherence to some Brussels nonsense. (ECHR?) ?

Gen noob no-mark question, no wah: will this tedious piece of pointless legislation continue to apply post January 2021?

One more time!

The ECHR has nothing to do with Brussels. The European Convention on Human Rights was an idea encouraged by Churchill and written by British lawyers.

The European Court of Human Rights which administers the Convention is in Strasbourg.

The only Army cell I was ever locked into was at Stanley Barracks (JLR RAC) in the early 70's. The whole troop - about thirty of us - were marched from the barrack block to the Guardroom and then single-filed into the large cell, with our boot cleaning kit, having failed to achieve the right standard with our ammo boots.

We were given both time and an incentive to make our boots shiny to the right standard, and were only let out when they were.

TheGrinch

Swinger

The ECHR has nothing to do with our membership of the EU so no.

The only cells I've been in were the ones in the police station at MPA in the Falklands. Not as an inmate - Sunday mornings sleeping off mega sessions in the police club on Saturday nights. ;)

In addition to the points made above about ECHR, but also including the ECHR:
I believe the army is slightly skewed as although the responsibility for any soldiers under detention ultimately rests with 1* RMP, the CO also has responsibilities towards them (and is the key in the SJS).
1* RMP in their role as gaoler and custodian has a relationship with HM Inspector of Prisons, and, as a result, many local guard rooms were closed down many years ago. RMP now, much like Home Office forces, have to have dedicated detention places.
This is all stuff that will continue beyond Jan First 2012.
It‘s all our legislation, anyway.

Long gone are the days of me nicking naughty squaddies and bouncing them all the way back to their guardroom. Worst night was Cambrai Day in Fally in 1992, I jailed the same few individuals a few times, the guard commander kept releasing them to go back town on the piss until the duty RMP Ord Sgt threatened to jail him if anymore were released. :D

Long gone are the days of me nicking naughty squaddies and bouncing them all the way back to their guardroom. Worst night was Cambrai Day in Fally in 1992, I jailed the same few individuals a few times, the guard commander kept releasing them to go back town on the piss until the duty RMP Ord Sgt threatened to jail him if anymore were released. :D
That’s RTR for you
I liked main guard at Fally for only one reason: stopping the RMP car, waking the occupants up, and insisting they all produced ID cards matched to faces. Windows down.
Befehl ist befehl.

That was me about 0630 Sunday morning in the cab coming back from Allerlei's three sheets to the wind! Warrant card stuck to my forehead so the guard could see it. :D

Could it have been in some part due to the death of the RRW laddie who died whilst being beasted by the RP Staff at Tidworth ?

A slight thread drift but...

The Custom house London, great example of Georgian architecture, and a spiritual home to many generations of Cussies.

Following the great refurb of 1991, a custody suite was incorporated into the east wing-half a dozen cells, ditto interview rooms, custody office etc.

Never really thought much about it as it was just there until the fateful merger with the revenue twats.

Now for the unitiated, they were rather polite in their investigations, and their interviews with shall we say the higher echelons of suspected tax evaders was generally carried out in wood panelled rooms in Somerset House in a rather gentlemanly fashion.

Oh how they baulked at the new arrangements-the RT's that is.

As for their clients they were mortified-" I was told It would be some time before my solicitor would be arriving so I asked for something to read. I don't feel a 2001 copy of NUTS is appropriate to a man of my standing".

Could it have been in some part due to the death of the RRW laddie who died whilst being beasted by the RP Staff at Tidworth ?
RP staff may continue.
Tidworth/Bulford is a major garrison and has custody facilities.
In part, I think the tragedy you refer to has something to do with that.

In addition to the points made above about ECHR, but also including the ECHR:
I believe the army is slightly skewed as although the responsibility for any soldiers under detention ultimately rests with 1* RMP, the CO also has responsibilities towards them (and is the key in the SJS).
1* RMP in their role as gaoler and custodian has a relationship with HM Inspector of Prisons, and, as a result, many local guard rooms were closed down many years ago. RMP now, much like Home Office forces, have to have dedicated detention places.
This is all stuff that will continue beyond Jan First 2012.
It‘s all our legislation, anyway.
Agreed. They are now Service Custody Facilities (SCF) - tri-service - and are subject to inspection by invitation by HM Inspector of Prisons. Changed days, I know.

I’ll leave the ‘Brussels nonsense’ to the other posters, but it’s not down to that, it’s having appropriate staff to deal with DUS. Not, as in the old days, the biggest arrseh0le in the battalion potentially dealing with the most vulnerable person in the battalion.

COs can still lock their blokes up, they’re just in Service Custody Facilities manned by the MPS.
I think it’s great, it means we can get a soldier in a cell without the usual dick-measuring you’d used to have at some guardrooms* or having blokes from his own unit looking after him and all the messiness that can fall out from that.

*Dont get me wrong, some PS and RP were excellent. 5 RIFLES around 2008\9 had outstanding provo staff, as did the units on Barker Barracks. Others were.... a massive pain in the arse to be honest. Then again I suppose it was a two way street, I always made sure to call in on nights and have a chat to get to know the PS at least, to grease the wheels a bit.

In summary, the ECHR will still be at the bottom of my Op Orders as it will be very much extant.
For your knowledge, the Human Rights Act 98 was brought in to bring the ECHR articles into E&W law. So even if the ECHR was an EU law, it’d still be in force (that wasn’t on the side of the bus, was it ;) )

Last edited:
That’s RTR for you
I liked main guard at Fally for only one reason: stopping the RMP car, waking the occupants up, and insisting they all produced ID cards matched to faces. Windows down.
Befehl ist befehl.
the last guard in Fally who tried to push that with me got ‘invited’ to accompany me for obstructing a Provost Officer. Funnily enough he relented in his insistence on seeing my prisoners MOD90.

It’s amazing that no one actually thinks about the reasons behind why the orders are given and use them to try and get one over on the RMP in the most minor of ways, instead of working with us...

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
nope....Standing by to be corrected but I believe most Regimental guardroom cells had been closed by 2000 when I happened to be in the Guard Room at Redford ....

Pte Williams of 2RRW died in 2007.

Thanks various posters for illuminating my ignorance in re ECHR...I'll go and hunt down the 'Idiots Guide to British Legislation ' :cool:

Job jobbed, VMTs

Last edited:

Latest Threads