Use of ex-military boats in civvy service

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by crabby, Aug 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was on holiday with the new Mrs Crabby and ended up taking a ferry service. The boat reminded me strongly of a small military naval vessel (shape, handling/holding whatever the nautical terms are) and there were obvious places where they'd hacked apart the old design and fitted new bits.

Can anyone tell me if indeed this had been some form of military craft?

Attached Files:

2. Oh and you can click on it for a larger image...
  3. Could be, I notice it's based in Malta and HM Forces were in Malta a long, long time.
  4. Oh yeah, I think they only left in something like 1978. Been there since 1802 or something. 2nd world war presence in Malta was huge (at times, at other times it was tiny because everything had been bombed out of existance)
  5. Maybe relevant, maybe not...interesting nonetheless!!

Theres a boat in Stockholm harbour, which is now a nightclub, that was used in the evacuation of Dunkirk, Churchill spent time onboard during the war too.

If only we'd known about this before being onboard, might have been a bit more interested in the vessel itself, rather than stumbling around it bouncing off the walls!
  6. Looks German or Italian in origin Crabby
  7. Judging by the markings on the camouflage I'd say German :D
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Looks like an old admirals barge, or maybe a pinnace. Hard to tell with all the extra upperworks.
  9. Yep definitely ex WW11 Navy

Note: Rear depth charge launcher in the stern, or is it a beer barrel dispenser its difficult to tell.

10. i may be letting out a well kept secret here but i get a lot of kit - both clothing and vehiclular etc from
    they sell off or at least point you in the way of ex mod kit and where to get it....
    might of got it from there???
  11. I know of 2 boats that are wanting a good home now THEM have finished with them. Ad may go like this if the IPT had the gonads to sell them!

2 x Boats.
    Low Hours.
    2x700bhp Diesel Engines.
    Seating for 10+Driver.
    50knots+ in all sea conditions.
    Service History?? Sssssh!
    Buyer Collects (40footer flatbed required for each boat).
    Location.....a Depot in deep south England.
  12. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Not that flaming long ago.
    I was stationed there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Okay, maybe not strictly a boat but these are pics of the floating dry dock built as part of the Mulberry Harbour project taken on 25 March 1944. It was used to cut the time needed to repair minor damage to vessels operating off the Normandy beaches which would otherwise have had to limp back to the UK. It was built by Wates who, up until the time they landed the contract, had built nothing larger than a semi-detached house.
    Ballast tanks were flooded to allow it to sink then after the ship had moved in, the ballast tanks were emptied by pumps built into the structure.
    After the war it was sold to a Norwegian firm and is supposedly still in service bobbing around a fjord somewhere. Perhaps the power of arrse can track it down.

Attached Files:

14. [quote="stickybomb]After the war it was sold to a Norwegian firm and is supposedly still in service bobbing around a fjord somewhere. Perhaps the power of arrse can track it down.[/quote]

I'm sitting on it. Fred Olsen recycled it and it's now drilling for oil in the North Sea.