Use of Chlorine Bombs in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC report that at least 32 have been killed and a further 59 injured in Diyala province as the result of a suspected chlorine bomb.

BBC Web page: 'Chlorine bomb' hits Iraq village

Having seen increased use and reporting of "sophisticated" IED's and alledged Iranian influence on the insurgency, this now appears to be a "use anything available" development.

Worrying development, or a natural progression on the insurgency battlefield?

2. Natural progression when dealing with religious zealots who have little value for human life.

3. You say that as if you think a chorine bomb is something less sophisticated?
    Chemical warfare instead of just HE is a step up in nastiness IMO.

I wonder if someone over there is stockpiling smoke alarms?

4. Soon be back to living in our noddies!

5. Agreed, but it takes a lot less know-how and resources to produce this, than the IED's that have been designed to attack armour in recent months.

Certainly go along with the "step up in nastiness" comment. The point I was trying to make was, that this is in many terms, a lot easier for Iraqi based insurgents and I doubt that the control of chlorine stocks and similar chemicals is any better than four years ago.

6. I recall the intention of the invasion was to rid the world of a regime which used chemical weapons on its own people?

Bit ironic, really. :roll:

7. So Bush and Blair were correct after all. Iraq did have WMDs. Saddam just used them for water treatment and in swimming pools so as to disguise them from weapons inspectors.