Use of B vehicles during the Falklands War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Speedy, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching a YouTube clip a few days back and saw several mexifloats carrying lots of 4 ton Bedfords and Land Rovers, and on particular clip of a para riding a Canam motocycle of a landing craft.
    Given that the only real references to vehicle usage during the conflict refers to the BVs and Scorpions, what happened to the rest? Did they just get parked up or were there some attempts at unit resupply using the islands tracks? It beggers belief that that much time effor and cargo space would be taken up transporting equipment that would be essentially useless half way down the globe. I do see the BARRVs in quite a few shots (even transported them a couple of times in the UK (now there's a vehicle with HISTORY!)), but apart from one shot of a BDE HQ's FFR Land Rovers at San Carlos there does not seem to be any mention of the rest of the vehicle fleet.
    Can anyone shed any light on what happend to the RCT troop, REME workshops and vehicles that had deployed and what roles they may have had to take on given the lack of active roles they were to play?
  2. My mate bought a 24v FFR Series IIIa in 89/90 from Auction and he researched the service history of the Landrover, it was used by the RA in the Falklands in '82, so they must have bought some back.

i know some of it was sold in auction to the bennys who promptly cut the chassis off and turned 4 tonners into chicken coops etc
  3. Another of the Falklands threads has a bit of speculation on the potential utility of Stalwarts. I'll see if I can dig it out there might be something relevant.
  4. Cheers. With so much MT kit offloaded some of it must have been used!
  5. One of the Bedford MKs was still there in 1985 and was purchased from MOD by LMA( Laing,Mowlem, ARC) and was used with stunning effect by Colin Mahn when he drove it over me in July 86, at the stone and aggregate proccessing area
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I certainly seem to remember (1985) a few of the Stills having the odd Bedford instead of a tractor.
  7. Kevin Killmartin at Bluff Cove had his own VSD with all the Argy and Brit kit he had proffed during the war
  8. Found It! "DS solution to Goose Green"
  9. On Granby there was a fair bit of chomping that the Stalwarts has been laid up prior to scrapping and not deployed as they would have been ideal load carriers in the desert, which promted the UOR purchase of many M548 tracked load carriers. DROPS was deployed, but the (then) supposed Foden HMLC DROPS (later reduced to MMLC) was nowhere near ready. In short, we scrapped a piece of kit without having a replacement for it!
  10. The Stalwart would not have been much use in the Falklands, while we were building MPA we used Volvo 240 ADTs a better wagon than a Stally and we still had to dig down to bedrock and fill the hole with rock to build every track and haul road, even when putting up telegraph poles we had to do this, as the first couple we just planted them as we would in the UK, only to find that in a matter of hours they had sunk into the peat bogs up to the cross trees. We even almost lost a couple of CATS fitted with metre wide "Bogmaster tracks" nothing of any weight could be left unless parked on hard standing
  11. I wonder if they dropped them at San Carlos and there was simply no way to get them out given the conditions of the tracks (or lack of) and terrain, then had to get them into Stanley via boat after the fighting was over?
  12. I think that's correct.

I was in 40 Field Regiment and we took over from 4Fd and 29 in 1982. We lived in Port Fitzroy but travelled about the Island by helicopter. There were a few Bedfords around Port Stanley, which may have been shipped around from Port San Carlos, becaue they werenlt much use anywhere other than port Stanley and the the road from Port Stanley ended not far West of Sapper Hill and there weren't roads in other settlements.

The only vehicles that could cope with drivign cross country were landrovers or Tractors. The ground dried out a bit in the Summer. The record for a 1 tonne from Port Stanley to Port Fitzroy was just ujnder an hour in January. In June 1982 just after the war it had taken 2-4 hours for the same route with 1 Tonne gun tractors.

A lot of stuff in the settlements was nicked or borrowed from Port Stanley and for suitable payment the RAF could sometimes move kit by Chinnook. The Chinnok that brought the CSE party at Christmas 1982 was persuaded to recover a beached lifeboat from the Sir Galahad from an offshiore island. We had hoped we could turn it into a fishing boat for our personal use, but I donlt think either our fitters or the Binneys could get the engine to work.