Use contactless cards?

ugly

LE
We do the CLA, crufts, a few big country events and can’t risk losing sales

I don't doubt your story. What I am saying is that Visa/MC etc, would quickly identify the thieves account even if only 50% of the victims reported it. Not only that, but the tealeaves would be paying visa for the use of the pos machine so they or the owner of the pos, will be known to them.
Yes, but there are so many different card issuing companies now that it could take a long time for a pattern to emerge, and only then if all the card issuers work together, which they do only in cases of reported loss or theft. It's happening, so I guess whoever is doing it has worked out a way.

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
I was in Holland for the Arnhem 75 commemorations and was amazed at just how widespread the use of a cashless system was. While we have maybe 1 card only check out they have only 1 cash only check out. Worked very well and a lot quicker.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was in Holland for the Arnhem 75 commemorations and was amazed at just how widespread the use of a cashless system was. While we have maybe 1 card only check out they have only 1 cash only check out. Worked very well and a lot quicker.
It can be a bit of a double-edged sword if you're not Dutch. Of the supermarkets, Albert Heijn are a pain as they only accept Netherlands issued cards.

Contactless payments could already be declined requiring the PIN to be entered.
The particular rules may vary according to your spending pattern and amounts etc.
You need your PIN anyway for a cash point or a transaction over the contactless threshold.

These all relate to the guarantees given by banks on refunding a rogue transaction.

The stories on fraudsters wandering around with card readers have been out since contact less came out, and similar tales were around about rogue chip & pin readers duplicating your card etc.

Contactless gives a tiny bit more security to the individual as you don’t need to argue that you had not written down and also lost your PIN.

I have a card reader - and to obtain it I needed to link to a bank account, address etc.
It’s for low usage so I pay a percentage per transaction for the service.

Check your statement, query dodgy transactions and you don’t have to report your card as lost/stolen to be able to get your money back.

I was able to get back a ‘legitimate’ payment that I deliberately made and authorised online. My problem with it though was the American way of adding taxes on top - and that the £57.17 payment I was authorising came out on confirmation as £86.64.
Further investigation found small print on the bottom of the page, and it is normal in the US to add taxes afterwards

For a hotel here in the UK I shopped around the usual booking sites and went to the hotels booking page - unfortunately it was not the hotel, but an American booking agency.

I don’t consider it normal to change the amount during authorisation, nor to follow American practices for a £ sterling transaction for a UK buyer.

First trip over the pond 6 years ago and I was surprised to see them at every shop I went in, signatures were never checked; which was just as well as I would have had to sign the back of the card as well.
On getting into Canada it was back to chip and pin.
The USA are incredibly backward, on my last trip down, late last year, I had my card run through 70s imprint machine.

Came across a few places in Boston, (USA, not the flatland one), still using those things this summer. The US is very backwards with it's banking. Contactless was just about unheard of.
The U.S. is slowly catching up, but I agree in general. We only got some PIN enabled cards towards 2010/12 .....and that's with a lot of screaming and dragging....as a lot of tourists abroad couldn't sometimes make their payments in lots of places.

Did a few weeks in the UK this summer gone. Was a bit weird, getting used too using cash again. Even weirder were places that didn't even have the option of card readers. Cash or go elsewhere. On more than one occasion I asked about the second till in the back room. Some laughed, some frowned, one asked me too " Get the feck out!!" :-D

SK

endure

GCM
Did a few weeks in the UK this summer gone. Was a bit weird, getting used too using cash again. Even weirder were places that didn't even have the option of card readers. Cash or go elsewhere. On more than one occasion I asked about the second till in the back room. Some laughed, some frowned, one asked me too " Get the feck out!!" :-D

SK

The first thing my mate did when he bought his takeaway was buy two tills from Hyperama...

Robme

LE
Contactless, it clear that the banks think that Joe Public are nothing better than mugs. I for one do not bank with a bank but with a credit union. They offer most of the same services that the banks offer without the rip off element.
Many many moons, Barclays trialed a system in Swindon, called Mondeo. Basically you went to one of their branches and topped your card up with cash and then you could spend the contents at various shops using a reader device. This was not long after the introduction of ATMs. Great, the beginnings of the cashless society. Well no not quite, as some 16year old had developed a way with his ZX to put money he didn’t have on his card and was having all his christmases and birthdays at once. Once apprehended the system disappeared as quickly as it appeared.
Scanning contactless cards with easily purchased card readers is simply an updated 16year old schoolboy.
least you forget, when the banks got their way with the removal of the truck act (which also allowed for the sending up chimneys of little boys, and little girls down mines, as well as an employer not to continue to pay employees in cash). The banks have looked at every increasing ways of extracting money from working class people to give to the rich. It has been reported in the press today that banks have plans to rip off loyal customers with authorised overdrafts at 39% rates of interest. What is the Bank of England base rate? Oh yes 0.75%. In banking terms, totally justified then.

DaveDaffe

War Hero
If so, in this happy seasonal spending binge fest, you may find your card bring bounced by some retailers even though it is valid and not maxed out.

Visa & Mastercard have dropped their contactless floor limits to zero, which means all transactions must be authorised.

In many cases low value transactions were authorised automatically by retailers point of sale terminal even if Coms. with the Visa or Mastercard mothership had temporarily dropped out.

How do I know this? Thanks to scenes of utter panic and distress: cashless society hipsters denied their coffee in a Costa coffee shop this morning.
You aren't correct. I work for a leading retailer in an I.T. capacity and one of my responsibilities is chip and pin pads in our stores. We are still accepting contactless payments and will continue to do so.

Toppet

War Hero
Contactless, it clear that the banks think that Joe Public are nothing better than mugs. I for one do not bank with a bank but with a credit union. They offer most of the same services that the banks offer without the rip off element.
Many many moons, Barclays trialed a system in Swindon, called Mondeo. Basically you went to one of their branches and topped your card up with cash and then you could spend the contents at various shops using a reader device. This was not long after the introduction of ATMs. Great, the beginnings of the cashless society. Well no not quite, as some 16year old had developed a way with his ZX to put money he didn’t have on his card and was having all his christmases and birthdays at once. Once apprehended the system disappeared as quickly as it appeared.
Scanning contactless cards with easily purchased card readers is simply an updated 16year old schoolboy.
least you forget, when the banks got their way with the removal of the truck act (which also allowed for the sending up chimneys of little boys, and little girls down mines, as well as an employer not to continue to pay employees in cash). The banks have looked at every increasing ways of extracting money from working class people to give to the rich. It has been reported in the press today that banks have plans to rip off loyal customers with authorised overdrafts at 39% rates of interest. What is the Bank of England base rate? Oh yes 0.75%. In banking terms, totally justified then.
Banks are mega. I work for one and they pay me easily twice what I was on as a Captain, before bonus. You're only a mug if you let yourself be one.

I know of no-one who has ever been skimmed using a contactless machine. When giving their card to a restaurant waiter who takes it to the "machine round the corner" - yes. However, never with a contactless machine.

Anyway, I get an instant notification on my phone / watch when my card is used - be it online, contactless or chip & pin.

Skimming via walk-by RFID scanners is almost non-existent; theres easier ways to steal cash, and it's likely that the amount of contactless cards that any one individual Carrie's would clash and prevent any individual one being scanned.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
least you forget, when the banks got their way with the removal of the truck act
I remember the days before the Truck Act was repealed. I was working at British Rail Loco Works in Derby. Every Friday morning the cash van used to arrive and the place was locked down until 1000 pay packets had been made up for the blokes in the workshops. They were paid at lunchtime and a lot of them disappeared until Monday immediately afterwards.

We office wallahs got paid by bank transfer.

endure

GCM
You know how close you have to put your card to the contactless reader in a shop. Now imagine how close some random bloke would have to get to you before he could skim your card.

"The truth about cloning/contactless skimming

One common concern around contactless relates to the possibility of fraudsters using mobile payment terminals to “skim” the details from your card. In reality, this is extremely unlikely.

Firstly, initiating a transaction while a card is in someone’s wallet is very difficult in practice – particularly since a fraudster would need to know precisely where you keep your card, and stand extremely close to you.

Secondly, any money that is taken from a card needs to go somewhere. Visa payments can only be processed by terminals that are registered and audited for security compliance. To obtain an authorised merchant account, a fraudster would need to take several steps that include registering with a bank or payment processor, providing their personal information, and meeting other Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements. Even if they did all of this, it would be possible to trace the stolen money back to the recipient.

At Visa, we are not aware of a case where a contactless card has been cloned to create a physical counterfeit copy of a card – the details that can be “skimmed” simply aren’t sufficient to enable this. "

Latest Threads