USB to USB KVMs

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by mysteron, Mar 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

OK, this is one for the technoheads on ARRSE.

Having now been issued with 2 A5 laptops at work and with my home PC, I rather fancy having a KVM that means I have a single mouse, keyboard and monitor to drive them and then I can safely park the laptops on their port replicators out of the way. But I am not very KVM savvy - never got issued with one before so I can play and learn!!

Sooooooo, since both of my port replicators have USB connectors only (no PS/2), which reasonably priced KVMs (no more than £50) are we looking at here?

Also would they work (HP Ultralight 2530p port replicator & FJ-Siemens Lifebook p7320 port replicator) with USB2 going into the KVM and a single standrad USB going into the port replicator for keyboard & mouse and standard VGA connectors for visual?

Over to you guys.

Thanks.

2. msr

msr LE

Or give one of the work ones back and leave the other in the office when you go home, so you only need one keyboard and monitor for your home PC?

msr

3. mysteron

MSR - valid point, but one is a secure standalone and the other is company LANS. So I am stuck with both.

Anyways, even with my single work laptop I still want to KVM as I am bored of multiple HIDs on my desk.

So question still remains!

4. try this with a network hub/switch:-www.synergy2.sourceforge.net

5. mysteron

Adjustable - nice one. Unfortunatelty the encryption et al of my work devices will not allow virtualisation. Shame, hardware it is.

6. mysteron

DC - yes to a point in that it suggests that USB2 to standard USB connection to port replicators will do the trick, however I was also after recommendations of kit would be best.

Any ideas?

7. It's not really virtualisation, you should only need a straight TCP/IP connection. Unless your encryption blocks that, of course. I'd give it a try anyway, it's free after all.