USB -> Ethernet adaptor ?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by msr, Aug 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Given that I have 3 PCs at home and would like to share files between them and would rather not have a server / all the PCs running all the time, is there any way of plugging a usb memory stick into a spare port on the back of my router and using it as a mini NAS box?

2. I'm not aware of anything like that, and have only played with ethernet - USB adaptors, not the other way around.
    Struggling with the Google, but am interested to see if you get an answer on this one. If not, you might have a niche market product on your hands ;-)
  3. I've not seen anything like that working to be honest.

Sure you can't stretch to a NAS box? Available for under £100 from a retailer near you.
  4. Is this what you are after?

Network Storage Adaptor

I've no idea how it works but it looks like it conects via ethernet and should therefore be capable of being set up with you router, if you have a port left? (3 PC & Ptr?)
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

A wireless router will also act as a hub. £20 off ebay. Mine is wireless and also has 4 Ethernet ports if i need to hardwire. 2 desktops, the Wii, a media player and the laptop easily use the same tinternet connection and share a single printer, swapping files without fuss.
  6. Nice toy, not seen that before.

Another option if you've ran out of Cat5 ports would be to add an external USB HD on one of the PC's and share it.
  7. Slow if your swapping large files though.
  8. Unless you're using wireless-N1.
  9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Hence the ethernet option. Cable in, transfer, cable out. Or just download the file onto the preferred machine in the first place ;) :D
  10. Evaluated a couple of products like these as home NAS's, hooked in to the ethernet port on the modem/router at home (both our home pcs plus printer are connected to the router via ethernet over mains or plc adaptors).

These network drives work, but all those I have tried (bar one) relied on a micro controller running linux. Great for relatively modest disk sizes, but very slow in handling large numbers of file transfers (e.g. loads of mp3 file), especially if using a higher capacity drive.

I did try to transfer the bulk of the data to be shared via a USB connection (the network drive boasted a USB connector), but I had to reformat the drive in FAT32 format. This meant that the internal linux processor couldn't read the format when I then tried to put it back into a network configuration. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, though.

The best way I found to run a NAS at home was a Freecom box, where the client NDAS software sits on each individual PC. Less than £100 and you have a good practical solution (albeit having to install client software on each connected pc):

There are routers I believe that accept USB sticks, I know there is one that will allow you to connect a 3G data modem via USB, but I'm damned if I can remember its name.

My next stage will be to simply bung in an old P4 2.6G 32 bit PC under the stairs, with plenty of drives fitted (and plenty of cooling) and use that as a storage tank. No real call for a home server, although it would be nice to remotely access some of the exchange features. Better than chucking away a perfectly good older pc.

Anyway, those are my experiences for what they're worth.
  11. No I don't work for Maplin's, wife's on their mailing list.

Yet another toy, put your own hard drive in, getting cheaper. I might even do this one myself. :)

Yet Another Gadget from Maplins
  12. While we are here, does anyone know of some open source backup/synchronisation software? I've got a USB HDD but the software it came with is carp.
  13. Simple, reliable solution is to use robocopy in a script file.