USB Datastick weirdness

Kit Reviewer
I've just bought a new 4GB USB stick (Maxwell Venture) that I want to stick some photos on so I can throw it in with a Digital Photoframe Christmas present.

When I plug it in (and the case does say it should be plug and play on Vista) it comes up under My Computer with a little unlocked padlock icon over the usual HDD icon. That was the first weird thing, because it doesn't mention encryption anywhere on the packaging and there are no encrpyt/decrypt options with it. Autoplay pops up with the "select an action" list (which always annoys me), and zero possible actions listed.

That's just background - the problem is, the PC only recognises it as a 1MB (yes, MEGAbyte) device.

I've tried formatting it, but when I select the capacity option it only has the choice of 1MB.

Am I missing something simple, or is the device knackered?
Is there a little button/switch on the USB?
If there is put it in the opposite position from what it is now and try again.

If that fails/button none existent, try another USB or PC/laptop and see if you get the samr results.
If you do update all your drivers.

Kit Reviewer
Scratch all that. On reboot it came up with a second removeable device under My Computer which was the actual storage part, including the encryption software built onto the stick. I wish the stupid thing had told me it was encrytped as I wouldn't have bought it. I just wanted a bog standard portable memory device!

What are the chances it'll work with the digital photoframe? I think I'll have to unpack it all and give it a try...

Kit Reviewer
Is there any way I can remove all the encryption from the drive, so it just works normally?