USB Datastick weirdness

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Dec 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've just bought a new 4GB USB stick (Maxwell Venture) that I want to stick some photos on so I can throw it in with a Digital Photoframe Christmas present.

When I plug it in (and the case does say it should be plug and play on Vista) it comes up under My Computer with a little unlocked padlock icon over the usual HDD icon. That was the first weird thing, because it doesn't mention encryption anywhere on the packaging and there are no encrpyt/decrypt options with it. Autoplay pops up with the "select an action" list (which always annoys me), and zero possible actions listed.

That's just background - the problem is, the PC only recognises it as a 1MB (yes, MEGAbyte) device.

I've tried formatting it, but when I select the capacity option it only has the choice of 1MB.

Am I missing something simple, or is the device knackered?

2. Is there a little button/switch on the USB?
    If there is put it in the opposite position from what it is now and try again.

If that fails/button none existent, try another USB or PC/laptop and see if you get the samr results.
    If you do update all your drivers.

3. BrunoNoMedals

Scratch all that. On reboot it came up with a second removeable device under My Computer which was the actual storage part, including the encryption software built onto the stick. I wish the stupid thing had told me it was encrytped as I wouldn't have bought it. I just wanted a bog standard portable memory device!

What are the chances it'll work with the digital photoframe? I think I'll have to unpack it all and give it a try...

4. BrunoNoMedals

Is there any way I can remove all the encryption from the drive, so it just works normally?

5. BrunoNoMedals

Care to elaborate?