USAF wants to scrap F-22

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Apparently the USAF wants to cut down its fleet of fighter aircraft from seven to four.

Gen Charles (Don't call me Charlie) Brown says: "Really, it's four+one because we're holding onto the A-10 for a while."

Currently, the USAF fields the A-10, F-15, F-15E, F-16, F-18, F-35 and F-22. (I think)

They are looking to reduce that to the new F-15EX, F-18, F-35 and NGAD + A-10. The article cites difficulty of maintenance and cost of running the F22. Why the bloody hell the A10 is still doing here is beyond me.

The F22 has only been in service for 16 years, so this is surprising to me. This seems like a very expensive, very shortlived project, like the Comanche. I'd love to know what the more informed posters on here think. Is NGAD such a game-changer?

My wild guess.

They would expect most people to react in the way that you did and will come back with 'well we have to cut something' so, finally, they will get the A-10 off of their hands.

Oh, and USAF doesn't operate the F18 - thats USN and USMC

NGAD will be the F22 Successor -

Give it another 5 - 10 yrs to enter service and the time lines probably right for F22 retirement

It strikes me as a sensationalist - USAF wastefully scrapping super expensive aircraft headline - when the more balanced F22 replacement in development would have sufficed.

The only thing interesting is that it lists NGAD F35, F15EX* F16 and A10 hanging around for a while possibly. The retention of F16 in that list which suggests the talk of developing a lower cost / tech fighter to supplement the F35 has some basis in fact.

*Which could also be part replaced by NGAD

The USAF doesn't use the F-18.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Outrage as F-22 to be succeeded by successor

There was consternation in sensationalist sections of the media and across badly informed parts of the internet yesterday, following news that the USAF is to retire the F-22 Raptor stealth fighter.

Click-bait headlines caused consternation amongst banjo-playing, incestuous patriots and armchair experts, many of whom still regret the de-fleeting of the P-51 Mustang.

Outrage mounted even as it was made clear that the F-22 will be replaced by an even more advanced aircraft, currently known as NGAD.

"I mean, what the hell is that?" said worried Alabama resident Sherman D. Patriot III.

Patriot, who is currently on his third marriage to his third sister, continued: "This won't happen as long as I'm still able to píss red, white and blue. Calling the F-22 'Raptor' was bad enough. 'Commie-slayer' got my vote. 'NGAD'? I mean, my god. If the new one isn't called the 'Mao Masher' I'm going to set fire to something."

Rational argument continued to fly out of the window as click-bait numbers mounted. In badly lit rear bedrooms and garden sheds across the free world, tension mounted as self-appointed experts and internet warriors refused to listen to reason, such as budget realities and the onward march of technology.

"I've got pictures of the Raptor on my wall. I've just finished my 14th model of it - it's 1:32 scale. It's beautiful," said Gareth Gareth, a 42 year-old virgin from Dunstable.

"They just can't do this to us."

NGAD is a sixth-generation fighter which will bring unheralded levels of lethality to the air warfare domain.

Hyper-connectivity, computer processing capacities within a single airframe which will dwarf those of several large towns, unprecedented sensor capabilities, ultra-high supersonic performance, hypersonic weapons and directed-energy weapons including real lasers will be combined with a level of stealth that enables it to not even register on the consciousness of imbeciles. It is rumoured that a prototype is already being tested.

The A-10 first flew in 1972.

There was consternation in sensationalist sections of the media and across badly informed parts of the internet yesterday, following news that the USAF is to retire the F-22 Raptor stealth fighter.

Click-bait headlines caused consternation amongst banjo-playing, incestuous patriots and armchair experts, many of whom still regret the de-fleeting of the P-51 Mustang.

Outrage mounted even as it was made clear that the F-22 will be replaced by an even more advanced aircraft, currently known as NGAD.

"I mean, what the hell is that?" said worried Alabama resident Sherman D. Patriot III.

Patriot, who is currently on his third marriage to his third sister, continued: "This won't happen as long as I'm still able to píss red, white and blue. Calling the F-22 'Raptor' was bad enough. 'Commie-slayer' got my vote. 'NGAD'? I mean, my god. If the new one isn't called the 'Mao Masher' I'm going to set fire to something."

Rational argument continued to fly out of the window as click-bait numbers mounted. In badly lit rear bedrooms and garden sheds across the free world, tension mounted as self-appointed experts and internet warriors refused to listen to reason, such as budget realities and the onward march of technology.

"I've got pictures of the Raptor on my wall. I've just finished my 14th model of it - it's 1:32 scale. It's beautiful," said Gareth Gareth, a 42 year-old virgin from Dunstable.

NGAD is a sixth-generation fighter which will bring unheralded levels of lethality to the air warfare domain.

Hyper-connectivity, computer processing capacities within a single airframe which will dwarf those of several large towns, unprecedented sensor capabilities, ultra-high supersonic performance, hypersonic weapons and directed-energy weapons including real lasers will be combined with a level of stealth that enables it to not even register on the consciousness of imbeciles. It is rumoured that a prototype is already being tested.

I suspect possible fake news on the grounds the report doesn’t mention the A-10 has a very large penis extension gun which is only marginally less lethal than a certain rifle, capable of knocking the earth off its axis and Brrrrrrrtttttt..... Sorry, where was I? Ah, yes... and therefore can never be retired. Ever. And will be needed for the Tricentennial celebrations of the founding of the US.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect possible fake news on the grounds the report doesn’t mention the A-10 has a very large penis extension gun which is only marginally less lethal than a certain rifle, capable of knocking the earth off its axis and Brrrrrrrtttttt..... Sorry, where was I? Ah, yes... and therefore can never be retired. Ever. And will be needed for the Tricentennial celebrations of the founding of the US.
Oh, so you're accusing me of writing untruths, are you?

Hitler.

<Bubba> But it aint got no gun cuzin Cleatus! <Bubba>

Mölders 1

War Hero

The problem with the so called 6th Generation Fighter will be is the Human Element hasn't changed at the same pace as modern technology.....

The problem with the so called 6th Generation Fighter will be is the Human Element hasn't changed at the same pace as modern technology.....

The days of steely Tom Cruise lookalikes in their tight speed jeans wrestling fighters in close range mortal combat are drawing to a close.
The new 6th Gen fighters will stand off as Master of Ceremonies and and direct their fearless robotic Loyal Wingmen to do the dirty.

Apparently the USAF wants to cut down its fleet of fighter aircraft from seven to four.

Gen Charles (Don't call me Charlie) Brown says: "Really, it's four+one because we're holding onto the A-10 for a while."

Currently, the USAF fields the A-10, F-15, F-15E, F-16, F-18, F-35 and F-22. (I think)

They are looking to reduce that to the new F-15EX, F-18, F-35 and NGAD + A-10. The article cites difficulty of maintenance and cost of running the F22. Why the bloody hell the A10 is still doing here is beyond me.

The F22 has only been in service for 16 years, so this is surprising to me. This seems like a very expensive, very shortlived project, like the Comanche. I'd love to know what the more informed posters on here think. Is NGAD such a game-changer?
The A-10 is not a fighter and is thus not well regarded by the USAF.

One of the former heads of the USAF had a son who flew A-10’s. He was once heard to joke that he no longer had a son...

Latest Threads