USAF to close 3 bases

Awaiting links, but Radio 4 is reporting that RAF Mildenhall will close, and that Alconbury will go also.

All assets likely to be moved to Germany.

That'll be a blow to the local economy

The US will leave Mildenhall and Alconbury,the third base I did not see mentioned.Shame,that will mean the loss of many civilian jobs and damage to the local economy. What's the bet that they will be turned into immigration centres or something similar?...I would think that our yank friends would want a base to remain in Europe for obvious reasons, so I would be surprised if they totally left the UK.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
MoD wil sell them off and they will probably throw houses on it.
The infrastructure is there schools etc
Saw a piece the other week where they were turning an old RAF camp into a mini village.
SHQ was becoming shops the NAAFI would be a school etc.

I suppose the area has less chance of being nuked as it'll be taken off the target list.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
What's the bet that they will be turned into immigration centres or something similar?

Makes a lot of sense - more so than letting those who haven't been processed just disappear into the population where they can never be found again. The Dutch do it. The former naval air base at Valkenburg is an example.

Don't hold your breath on any government doing the obvious . . Cynical maybe but . . .

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
Bet they won't close Feltwell.
Feltwell.jpg

MoD wil sell them off and they will probably throw houses on it.
The infrastructure is there schools etc
Saw a piece the other week where they were turning an old RAF camp into a mini village.
SHQ was becoming shops the NAAFI would be a school etc.

I suppose the area has less chance of being nuked as it'll be taken off the target list.
Alconbury is closed as an airfield anyhoo - they're planning to build something like 5,000 homes there. The A14 can cope no problems, it's never jammed solid first thing is it?

http://www.alconbury-weald.co.uk/what-is-happening/living

RAF Brampton is going to housing as well .

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/residents_up_in_arms_at_800_home_plan_for_raf_site_1_685486

pongo6863

RIP
RIP

Latest Threads