USAF secrets to local tourist office

Well it seems that the yanks are a bit silly and not checking who they send stuff to. For the past 7 years a local tourism office has been recieving personal and restricted restricted e:mails intended for the local air base. Some people just cant figure out the difference between midenhall.com and midenhall.af.mil, surely the lack of a .mil should have made them stop and think 8O

Linky (BBC)

US airbase e-mails go to town web
RAF Mildenhall tanker aircraft
Mildenhall is a major base for the US air force
Confidential US Air Force (USAF) e-mails, some including flight plans for a presidential visit, have been mistakenly sent to a tourism website.

The e-mails were meant to go to the US airbase at RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, via its website.

But instead they went to a town tourism website which had a similar address.

The USAF said it had sent out an e-mail advising contacts, family and friends of airmen based at the site to use the correct address.

Gary Sinnott, of Mildenhall, set up the website "mildenhall.com" in the late 1990s to promote the town.

But by 2001 he was starting to get hundreds of e-mails meant for people at the airbase.

Flight plans

The e-mails included jokes, spam, personal information and military information.

He said he contacted the base a number of times, but officials told him not to worry about it.

But on one occasion, he said, when he told an official at the base about receiving information about presidential flight plans, the official "went nuts".

"That kind of information is not meant to be passed out to Joe Public," Mr Sinnott said.

He added that another e-mail he received was about US "military procedures and tactics".

"It had the notice 'Destroy by any means to prevent capture'," he said.

Mr Sinnott has now decided to take his website down to avoid getting these messages.

A spokesman for the USAF said: "In 2004, The 100 Communication Squadron advised Mr Sinnott to block unrecognizable addresses from his domain and have an auto-reply sent reminding people of the official Mildenhall domain."

Pacifist_Jihadist said:
Well it seems that the yanks are a bit silly and not checking who they send stuff to. For the past 7 years a local tourism office has been recieving personal and restricted restricted e:mails intended for the local air base. Some people just cant figure out the difference between midenhall.com and midenhall.af.mil, surely the lack of a .mil should have made them stop and think 8O

A spokesman for the USAF said: "In 2004, The 100 Communication Squadron advised Mr Sinnott to block unrecognizable addresses from his domain and have an auto-reply sent reminding people of the official Mildenhall domain."
Who gives a fcuk what the 100 Communication Squadron advised him. How can Mr Sinnott block unrecogniseable addresses on an INFORMATION website for ANYONE to access.

Nor is it Mr Sinnotts responsiblity to have an auto-reply.

The people sending the information need to know who and where they are sendin gthe info. Period. It is the fault of the sender, not the receiver.

Mr Sinnott open your site again. If mongs wish to send you classified data, keep sending it to the spams until they learn.

USAF Fcuk off, how about you "request" or "ask" rather than "advise".

Can somebody please remind me how people that thick ended up running the world again?

God these yanks!

He should sell the domain name to the USAF for a shed load of money instead. :D

chocolate_frog said:
Pacifist_Jihadist said:

Who gives a fcuk what the 100 Communication Squadron advised him. How can Mr Sinnott block unrecogniseable addresses on an INFORMATION website for ANYONE to access.

Nor is it Mr Sinnotts responsiblity to have an auto-reply.

The people sending the information need to know who and where they are sendin gthe info. Period. It is the fault of the sender, not the receiver.

Mr Sinnott open your site again. If mongs wish to send you classified data, keep sending it to the spams until they learn.

USAF Fcuk off, how about you "request" or "ask" rather than "advise".

I visited that site for a laugh when I first arrived at Mildenhall (his rants were hilarious). The man can't comprehend that there are computer illiterate people in the world, and he doesn't understand why the USAF won't just wave its magic wand and eliminate all human error. Apparently the thought of changing his site to Mildenhall.co.uk never crossed his mind. I think he secretly enjoyed having an excuse to rail against the yanks.

If I recall correctly the majority of emails received were actually from civilian sources. Sorry, nothing we can do about that.

Shadow_Ro said:
I visited that site for a laugh when I first arrived at Mildenhall (his rants were hilarious). The man can't comprehend that there are computer illiterate people in the world, and he doesn't understand why the USAF won't just wave its magic wand and eliminate all human error. Apparently the thought of changing his site to Mildenhall.co.uk never crossed his mind. I think he secretly enjoyed having an excuse to rail against the yanks.

If I recall correctly the majority of emails received were actually from civilian sources. Sorry, nothing we can do about that.
WTF should he? If the USAF can't spot the difference between .mil and .com, what makes you think that they'd spot a .co.uk? It seems that recognition has never been a US strongpoint.

crabtastic said:
Can somebody please remind me how people that thick ended up running the world again?
Apparently Herr Hitler threw your asses off of the continent and you wanted to go back.

Bet you don't do that again, eh?

xromad said:
crabtastic said:
Apparently Herr Hitler threw your asses off of the continent and you wanted to go back.

Well you tw@ts never learnt from Nam and just look at the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan now you throbber! How did it feel getting by a little guy called charlie in flip flops and black PJs?

Well, you were late for the last two shows, nice to see you turned up early for this one and yeah yeah, you got 'independance in 1776, then we burnt your fcuking capital down in 1812 was it and you were fighting amongst yourselves within 100 years so fcuk off and die septic!

Found this:

http://www.mildenhall.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123078176

Incorrect e-mail addresses can lead to security risk

by Karen Abeyasekere
100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs
which led me to this:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=177116846

News: Geoff Janes [ the only story I wrote in 2007 ;) heh, heh, heh... ]
Feature: Tech Sgt. Eric Petosky Sports: Gary Rogers
Graphic in support of a story: Gary Rogers
Photojournalism: Tech. Sgt. Tracy DeMarco
Commentary: Tech. Sgt. Tracy DeMarco
Print Journalist of the Year: Karen Abeyasekere [Her first in six years]
Series: 2nd Place Karen Abeyasekere [Can't seem to nail this one in the 17 years I've worked PA/journalism]
Stand alone photo: No entry [I never assigned any, so, there was nothing to compete]
17 years???? Give up. There's plenty more fish in the sea.

Airfix said:
xromad said:
crabtastic said:

Well you tw@ts never learnt from Nam and just look at the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan now you throbber! How did it feel getting by a little guy called charlie in flip flops and black PJs?

Well, you were late for the last two shows, nice to see you turned up early for this one and yeah yeah, you got 'independance in 1776, then we burnt your fcuking capital down in 1812 was it and you were fighting amongst yourselves within 100 years so fcuk off and die septic!
You know what?

It's all part of a master plan to piss off people like you.

Seems to be working perfectly.

Now I shall return to that place where someone cares what you think.....

xromad said:
Now I shall return to that place where someone cares what you think.....
Oh do tell me, please please please do tell me 'where they care what I think'

My bold! See, that's the problem with being a clever cnut, when it goes wrong, you just look like a cnut, but I guess you've had years to get use to that by now! :lol:

putteesinmyhands said:
WTF should he? If the USAF can't spot the difference between .mil and .com, what makes you think that they'd spot a .co.uk? It seems that recognition has never been a US strongpoint.
There is no 'spotting the difference'. The problem is computer illiterates that aren't aware of the .mil domain and assume that it must be mildenhall.com

These same illiterates probably aren't even aware .co.uk domains exist.

I'd bet you a pint of your favorite IPA that a move to a co.uk domain would have eliminated at least 90% of the site owner's base-related spam.

This is all speculation on my part, but I get the impression that when Mildenhall.com failed to develop into a successful tourism website, Mr. Sinnott used the spam generated by the base as an excuse to blame the big bad Yanqui boogeyman down the street for all his woes. As far as I can tell the website hadn't contained any info about the town of Mildenhall since at least 2001. When it comes to the internet spam is something we all have to live with. You're telling me he couldn't block email from any domain containing '.af.mil'? Are we expected to believe that spam to an email account was enough to bring down a tourism website? Get real.

I know for a fact that since 2004 the website has been nothing more than a slate for Sinnott's America-bashing rants. I was never insulted as I have lived long enough in your country to know that some Brits like to blame the American boogeyman for all their woes rather than take responsibility for their own shit.

xromad said:
crabtastic said:

Actually Herr Hitler wanted to take over Europe and let us keep the Empire. Luckily for the world we refused the offer.

Look on the bright side of it - du Pont and that fecker Henry Ford made a fortune (from said Herr Hitler).

Incidentally I've just shown this to a NATO Col (US). He can see the funny side of the situation - he must be getting semi-Anglicised - proof? - He thinks you're a fukcing thr0bber as well :twisted:

crabtastic said:
Because someone somewhere has got you believing they run the world ;P