USAF Crash Afghanistan 27/01/20

the search teams in Vietnam and Laos found that locals were "seeding" alleged crash sites with teeth and long bones from locals in the hope of prolonging the gravy train. Same as for the mine clearing teams.
Well there’s indeed another source of local income there.

The Americans treat each site as an archeological dig. They set up big sieves etc to look for fragments. They use a lot of local labour. They dig in the dry season which is often a comparatively slack time in rice farming.

It’s interesting that the American records are very good. We found their bombing data to be very accurate, and the book ‘Where we were’ is an encyclopaedic record of all military positions. They also have a pretty good record of the general area of any aircraft crash.

As part of the Arrse Aircrash Investigation Unit (self appointed) - see how the burning on the ground is pushing the flames right to left, but the burn marks on the tail are pretty high up and would need a fuel source burning left to right, I recon it went in on fire.

Engine nacelles have a nasty scar in them but not a missile strike - IR would home in on them and would cause more damage. Then back of them are very sooty.

Im going for some sort of engine flame out, and failure that messed up the flight controls and caused a controlled crash landing.

Being as though it seems to have flown in, the pilot(s) would have been conscious so the Americans will know what happened.

Second they played dumb because a SAR operation was in progress.

Next move will be if there are any hostages or bodies recovered.
Video footage shows two bodies at least. There has been talk of some captured alive but noting confirmed. US rightly not divulging the details of the amount of crew.

Any attempted recovery of bodies will be interesting....

Video footage shows two bodies at least. There has been talk of some captured alive but noting confirmed. US rightly not divulging the details of the amount of crew.

Any attempted recovery of bodies will be interesting....
II didn't see any bodies - did I miss something?

ZW Clanger

Swinger
Claims now that a top CIA boss Michael D’Andrea was onboard and killed.
This chap was responsible for the drone attack on Soleimani amongst loads of other stuff.

This chap was responsible for the drone attack on Soleimani amongst loads of other stuff.
Russian and Iranian intelligence claims.......

Potentially quite close to the Pakistani border......

Last edited:

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sounds a bit fishy, why would a boss need to be on a C4 asset, I thought it just relayed info?

Makes you wonder what it was doing if he was aboard.

Sounds a bit fishy, why would a boss need to be on a C4 asset, I thought it just relayed info?

En route ?

[TINFOIL HAT=ON]
Makes you wonder who shot it down.
[TINFOIL HAT=OFF]

US and Afghan authorities saying they have recovered the remains of the crewmen and in the process of confirming their identity:
The United States on Tuesday recovered the remains of individuals from a U.S. military aircraft that crashed in Afghanistan and was in the process of confirming their identities, U.S. and Afghan officials told Reuters on Tuesday.
Multiple attempts to extract the remains were made, hampered by the weather and terrain. Unofficially, two bodies. The Pentagon has so far declined to comment:
The U.S. defence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said multiple attempts had been made to recover the remains but they had been hampered by the terrain and weather.

The official said the remains were believed to be of two service members who were on the plane.

The Pentagon declined to comment.

Ghazni provincial police chief, Khalid Wardak, told Reuters that two bodies were airlifted by U.S. forces from the crash site on Tuesday.

Update to post above.

'The US Navy's elite SEAL Team 6 recovered two bodies from the wreckage site where a US Air Force E-11A aircraft crashed in Ghazni province, Afghanistan on Monday.

'The bodies and a flight recorder were recovered during the mission, which was first noted by Connecting Vets radio and then reported by Newsweek. Sensitive military equipment from the plane was intentionally destroyed by the SEALs, according to Newsweek, and US officials have not ruled out an airstrike if they deem that the aircraft's remains still pose a risk.'

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think those 2 were all that were on board, I cant find out if these things need crew beyond the pilot and co-pilot.

It sounds like the aircraft are just relays for Link-16 and whatever the later versions to provide LOS between platforms, a version of the system is also used in Global Hawk UAV.

It doesnt appear to be a reason to have anyone else onboard, maybe an engineer but them it may not have been on a mission to use its comms (flight shakedown or relocation).

Maybe @Magic_Mushroom has seen the fitout of one of these and if they need crew stations?

There are seats inside.

Latest Threads