USAF allegedly bombed Pakistan. 18 dead including 5 children

[Oh Lord, not again... :roll: ]. Tell me Sergey, do you spend all your time hunting about the internet for anything that might discredit the United States or the West in general? :wink:

Cowhead said:
"Smart bombs are nothing without smart people to operate them..."
super precision smart weapons that never miss.................

.............pity the same cant be said of the trigger happy sods that seem to be using them.

I must admit I have never been able to make my mind up about our Rooshin board member.
Is he an innocent individual upholding his countries honour, Nothing wrong with that.
Or is Sergey the front man for an office who hunt down anti western properganda.
I get annoyed with our US cousins their 'abuse' of the enemy, it does come across as so much raceisam. However they did cum across for us, for whatever reasons, when we needed them.
john
still undecided.

If it's the same attack that I think it is, they're currently trying to establish whether or not they whacked Zawahiri.

gallowglass said:
[Oh Lord, not again... :roll: ]. Tell me Sergey, do you spend all your time hunting about the internet for anything that might discredit the United States or the West in general? :wink:
I spent a year in Russia, mostly St. Petes. There's a real inferiority complex towards the U.S. among some Russians over their loss of superpower status; part admiration with healthy doses of envy, jealousy and undertones of a Western conspiracy against them. Wounded pride is an awful thing.

Beautiful women there though.

Virgil said:
gallowglass said:
I spent a year in Russia, mostly St. Petes. There's a real inferiority complex towards the U.S. among some Russians over their loss of superpower status; part admiration with healthy doses of envy, jealousy and undertones of a Western conspiracy against them. Wounded pride is an awful thing.

Beautiful women there though.
Until they hit their 45th birthdays- then they mysteriously turn into Leonid Brezhnev's ugly sister. :twisted:

gallowglass said:
Tell me Sergey, do you spend all your time hunting about the internet for anything that might discredit the United States or the West in general? :wink:
My answer is NO, moreover I suspect that you knew the answer.

But I don't understand cause of your question. It is news number 1 now. And it is a very important incident, worth to be discussed. There is no need to search in Internet because the story is on the surface.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/13/AR2006011302260.html

Ayman Zawahiri, the second-ranking al Qaeda leader and chief deputy to Osama bin Laden, was targeted by a deadly U.S. missile strike on a compound in Pakistan yesterday, but U.S. intelligence could not confirm whether he was killed, according to U.S. sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Acting on sensitive intelligence describing the whereabouts of Zawahiri and other top al Qaeda figures, the CIA ordered the airstrike by a Predator drone that fired an air-to-ground missile at the compound, nestled on the border with Afghanistan.
But in the same article we read

CIA officials declined to comment on the report. A spokesman for the U.S. Central Command, the military organization in charge of the region, said last night that the mission was not a Central Command operation. He added that there was no "operational reporting" of the incident through military channels. A Pentagon official said he could not comment on any "alleged airstrike."

A Defense Department official said last night that there were "no coalition military aircraft in the area of the reported explosion in a Pakistani village."
However

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1505187&page=2

U.S. and Pakistani officials told NBC news that U.S. predator drones fired as many as 10 missiles.
So Pakistan (that has nuclear weapons) has been attacked. So it is possible in Russia. Why not?

The wreckage of the three houses destroyed was scattered in craters some 10 feet deep. Five women were weeping nearby, cursing the attackers. Dozens of others gathered to express condolences.

"My entire family was killed, and I don't know whom should I blame for it," said Sami Ullah, a 17-year old student, as he shifted debris from his ruined home with a hoe. "I only seek justice from God."
Would you be surprised to see him performing a terror act?

Funny thing is that only 2 weeks ago Al-Zawarhi released a video tape on Al-Arabiya stating that Bush should 'admit defeat' in both Afg and Iraq. Prior to that he stated 'jihad to those Christian and Jewish infidels (US and UK) who harm the Islamic cause'. Looks like you'd better speak to your Press Officer, al Zawarhi; no point in releasing duff information! Well done USAF!

Herrenbloke said:
Sergey, and those killed in 9/11 and 7/7 and Beslan had sons, daughters, wives, husbands etc. They are the ones who started this, not us, if they don't like the rules, they shouldn't have decided to start playing the game. We aren't the ones who say that Women and children are fair targets, they are....
As to Beslan then the village from where some terrorists came is well known. What is your proposition? To make air-strike?

Russian authorities took all possible measures to avoid and prevent any type of revenge. As I know the village is specially guarded.

Herrenbloke said:
By their own logic, they can hardly complain when innocents are accidentaly caught in the crossfire. You see thats the difference Sergey, we do all we can to avoid collateral damage, they do all they can to inflict it.
But who are they? Do you mean all Moslems? All Afghans or Pakistanis?

Frankly speaking I don't see a difference. The operation was performed in typical terrorist manner without any care about possible innocent victims.

What is it? Srtuggle with the terrorism or a terrorism itself?

Good, glad the yanks have zapped someone who thought he was safe in pakistan.

Who cares what you think kgb.

monsoon_ditch said:
Good, glad the yanks have zapped someone who thought he was safe in pakistan.

Who cares what you think kgb.
I think that nobody cares about it. But it USA have right to do something then probably Russia has the same right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3655438.stm

UK-based Chechen envoy Akhmed Zakayev has warned there could be more bloodshed unless peace talks are held.

Mr Zakayev, who was granted asylum by the UK in November, is accused of terrorism by Russia.

He said the Beslan tragedy, which has left at least 338 dead according to officials, will not be the last of the violence in the region.
Do you think that after the strike in Pakistan Russia has moral right to kill mr.Zakayev in London using air-strike too? (no matter how many British children would be killed).

E

error_unknown

Sergey most of us on this site are aware just how dreadful war is, most of us just want to get on with our lives, let other people get on with theirs and generally get on with the business of rasing our families in a safe and loving environment.
In WW2 we were fighting an extereme ideology who were killing millions on innocents, your own people included. Did anyone worry about what methods were necessary to defeat that evil as long as they were effective?
Today we are fighting an even more extreme idealogy, this time however our hands are tied by Political Correctness. our people are being slaughtered in the streets while going about their daily business, our freedoms of speech are being curtailed, our taxes are being spent keeping people whose avowed aim is the destruction of all we hold dear and meanwhile our political masters continue to appease these Islamonazis and call it "Tolerance" I refer you to Abu Hamza whom we took in and gave all the benefits of our peace loving multi cultural society, his comments make interesting reading in the press.
The bottom line is we are at war Sergey, we are in a war to defend our way of life and sometimes unpleasant tactics have to be used. Your point about creating terrorists is valid, howvevr, when we carpet Bombed Dresden, were we worried about whether it would create more nazis? I think not. Being tolerant to Islamic Fundamentalists doesn't work, they see it as weakness and appeasment, a sign that the decadent west has no stomach for the fight. They are sadly unaware of the true nature of our people, we are at our most dangerous when forced to stand up for what we believe in. I believe that there is justification to hunt these people down, one by one and kill them, preferably surgically, but with overwhelming force if not. If they bomb what we hold dear (ie our people) Then we will destroy what they hold dear, their mosques, their temples, their most holy places, systematically and without mercy until they stop killing us. We didn't start this Sergey, they did, but they should be in no doubt that to proceed on their current course, will result in the destruction of everything they stand for. They set the rules, now they must play by them.

KGB_resident said:
Herrenbloke said:
Sergey wrote:

I have one interesting question. Former KGB officer, defector Gordievskiy lives now in the UK. Has Russia right to kill him using surgical strike? Possible answers:

1. No. It is impossible unconditionally (it is my answer).
2. Yes but without innocent victims.
3. Yes but without killed children.
4. Yes, no matter who would be killed along with him.
You've rigged the vote. It's almost a certainty this was done with Pakistani approval (and possibly intelligence). You're being disingenous or are ill-informed, Pakistan has little control over that part of the country, nothing in Britain compares.

Besides, shouldn't you be more concerned with so-called Russian atrocities in Chechnya if you're choosing to adopt a stance of moral outrage? It's much more savage and closer to home for you.

Herrenbloke! I understand your logic. And in many points you are right of course. So answer my questions.

Suppose that this Zawahiri is spotted in the UK, in remote village (populated by Pakistanis to make an experiment pure) and US plane makes strike killing many innocents (including children). What would be your reaction in this case? Would this (imaginary) strike lawfull within you approach?

Suppose that Russian AF strike target in Turkey and kill prominent Chechen terrorist. Would it be lawfull? Btw Russia has problems with terrorists too.

Do you think that a line should be drawn to define acceptable methods in struggle agaisnt terrorism? Probably yes.

As I understand the strike is withing the borders of acceptable actions from your point of view, while I think that the line was crossed.

It is a difference between our positions (maybe even the only difference).

If you say that the line was crossed but it was rather a rare exception than a rule then the difference (between our positions) would be very small because I believe that it is not a declaration of new American strategy - something like 'we have right to kill anybody anywhere on the Earth'.

E

error_unknown

The threat is Global terrorism Sergey and if the US identified a terrorist in UK and killed him, I'd not only not object, I'd buy the Langley guys a drink for having the balls to do something my own spineless government seems incable of... defending our people. The point is, the US are hardly likely to do this are they? However if they were to kidnap and give him a bit of special rendition, then that would be better and a damn sight attractive to me than the current situation where thousands of people trained in terror camps are free to walk our streets. can you imagine allowing a couple of regiments of the SS to walk your streets 60 years ago? The excuse the appeasers give is that we are living in a liberal democracy and must not sacrifice our freedoms as otherwise the terrorists have won. In the next breath they bring in laws designed to prevent criticism of those who support the terrorists. People who question other policies get a knock on the door from the police for daring to speak out of line. we are living in a far from liberal regime here Sergey and the enemy are within our gates.