USA Visa

Possible stupid question....

In my old passport I have a visa for the USA that is: Valid for multiple applications for entry until indefinitely as I have had to get a new passport, can I still use the visa that is in the old passport ?

The US no longer recognises "indefinite" visas whatever the actual visa says in your old passport. If you try and fly with it they will deport you.

If you're British and have a modern passport with a chip in it, you don't need a visa (assuming you're not a filthy criminal etc). You will, however, need to register for an ESTA

Best thing to do if you're still uncertain is to contact the embassy in Grosvenor Square

If you're British and have a modern passport with a chip in it, you don't need a visa (assuming you're not a filthy criminal etc). You will, however, need to register for an ESTA

Best thing to do if you're still uncertain is to contact the embassy in Grosvenor Square
Watch this if you do it online, there are some phishing sites that pretend to be official and will scoop your id and money. Last time I used this, the link from the US State Department site had been cloned and also directed you to a shifty site.

The US no longer recognises "indefinite" visas whatever the actual visa says in your old passport. If you try and fly with it they will deport you.

This doesn't apply to i-visas does it?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you have a new passport (it should have a logo on the front that looks like the chip on your credit card) then all you need to do is go onto the ESTA websitre and register your details. This replaces the green form that you would have used to get in previously. Once you have put your detials into the form then you will get an email telling you that you're OK to travel, then you hop on a plane and its job jobbed.

and what if I like....ain't
Full British passport holders only need a "machine readable" passport to avoid having to have a visa. This is the typewriter text at the bottom of the photograph page. Of course, the new RFID passports are also acceptable.

From the London Embassy web-site:
  • Passports issued, renewed/extended before October 26, 2005 must be machine-readable;
  • Passports issued, renewed/extended between October 26, 2005 and October 25, 2006 must also contain a digital photograph.
  • Passports issued, renewed/extended on or after October 26, 2006, must be electronic.
Regardless, you need to complete ESTA unless you:

• Have a visa, or
  • are planning to cross via land from Canada or Mexico
There are additional complications around eligibility for the Visa Waiver Programme that would affect F&C soldiers who are not yet "British Citizens", for example.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
and what if I like....ain't

(I think in fact I have but collegue prob doesnt have the new biometric/isotonic passport)
I haven't the foggiest. As it happens, I can't find anything about passport type online so it seems that the rules on which type you need may have changed. I've also spotted that there will be a $14 charge for the ESTA introduced on the 8th September. As the ESTA is valid for two years, I'd advise applying before that date to save yourself some money.

A note of caution - unless issued before 1986 (start of the Visa Waiver Program), the visa in your passport must have been required for a specific reason. That reason is of paramount importance; it may be a factor that prevents you from using the VWP. If so, you'll need a valid visa. B (visitor) visas are issued for 10 years, so anything older than 10 years will be invalid, irrespective of what's printed on the visa, as stated above.

If you do need a visa, then ESTA will not be required, that is only for the VWP.

So the crucial questions are: what type (classification (H, L, F, B etc)) of visa is it, and why was it required?

Colleagues of mine have had L visas (intra company transfer) which have expired, and they have no issue using the VWP. However, sometimes the B visa is required so that the consular section at the embassy can examine your case if you have committed certain crimes or overstayed etc. Both of those cases would permanently disbar you from the VWP, but not necessarily prevent you getting a B visa, if there are mitigating circumstances (eg "it was 15 years ago, I am a good boy now"). The point is that the consular section then have the opportunity to have a human make that decision.

Good Luck. Especially if you have to go to Grosvenor Square. No wonder they want a new embassy.
Interesting info I had never looked to see what type of visa it was. It's a B-1/B-2 whatever that means.

Interesting info I had never looked to see what type of visa it was. It's a B-1/B-2 whatever that means.

• B-1 Visa: Business visitors, Domestic Employees, Academics, Researchers and Students
  • B-2 Visa: Holiday, tourism, medical treatment

Possible stupid question....

In my old passport I have a visa for the USA that is: Valid for multiple applications for entry until indefinitely as I have had to get a new passport, can I still use the visa that is in the old passport ?
I don't know if this will answer your question but this is my experience ;

During my Merchant Navy period I was required to have a C1D US visa in my passport and it was valid for 10 years.
However, my passport expired prior to the expiry of the visa so my new passport was held on board together with the old (cancelled) one which contained the still valid C1D visa.
Upon entry to US waters this was presented to US immigration and was always acceptable, there were quite a few of us with this type of passport/visa and it never caused a problem.

I would advise contacting the US Embassy though.
By the way, I applied for a B1 visa last year and although it was a pain in the arse having to attend Grosvenor Square in person, I was done and processed within an hour and the service was very efficient.
I have also heard otherwise so maybe I was just lucky.

When crossing via land entry, British passport holders will need to cough up $6 US for an entry card. The visa waiver program only applies to an existing list of approved air transport companies. When I was doing air medivac, I had to transport a patient from Winnipeg to Rochester, after I had transported the (critical) patient to the hospital, I was slapped with a $600 US fine payable on the spot, and my medivac company got slapped with a fine in the thousands because they did not appear on the approved list, regardless of my GB biometric passport.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pinksniper The Intelligence Cell 23
mucus2 Travel 27
Fat_tankie_9/12 Travel 4