USA Visa

Discussion in 'Travel' started by No_Duff, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Possible stupid question....

    In my old passport I have a visa for the USA that is: Valid for multiple applications for entry until indefinitely as I have had to get a new passport, can I still use the visa that is in the old passport ?
  2. The US no longer recognises "indefinite" visas whatever the actual visa says in your old passport. If you try and fly with it they will deport you.

    If you're British and have a modern passport with a chip in it, you don't need a visa (assuming you're not a filthy criminal etc). You will, however, need to register for an ESTA

    Best thing to do if you're still uncertain is to contact the embassy in Grosvenor Square
  3. Watch this if you do it online, there are some phishing sites that pretend to be official and will scoop your id and money. Last time I used this, the link from the US State Department site had been cloned and also directed you to a shifty site.
  4. This doesn't apply to i-visas does it?
  5. Thanks for the replies.
  6. Caecilius

    Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    If you have a new passport (it should have a logo on the front that looks like the chip on your credit card) then all you need to do is go onto the ESTA websitre and register your details. This replaces the green form that you would have used to get in previously. Once you have put your detials into the form then you will get an email telling you that you're OK to travel, then you hop on a plane and its job jobbed.
  7. Full British passport holders only need a "machine readable" passport to avoid having to have a visa. This is the typewriter text at the bottom of the photograph page. Of course, the new RFID passports are also acceptable.

    From the London Embassy web-site:
    Regardless, you need to complete ESTA unless you:

    • Have a visa, or
    • are planning to cross via land from Canada or Mexico
    There are additional complications around eligibility for the Visa Waiver Programme that would affect F&C soldiers who are not yet "British Citizens", for example.
  8. Caecilius

    Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    I haven't the foggiest. As it happens, I can't find anything about passport type online so it seems that the rules on which type you need may have changed. I've also spotted that there will be a $14 charge for the ESTA introduced on the 8th September. As the ESTA is valid for two years, I'd advise applying before that date to save yourself some money.
  9. Interesting info I had never looked to see what type of visa it was. It's a B-1/B-2 whatever that means.

    • B-1 Visa: Business visitors, Domestic Employees, Academics, Researchers and Students
    • B-2 Visa: Holiday, tourism, medical treatment
  10. A long holiday?
    A study period or sabbatical lecturing job?
    Gender realignment surgery?

    Anything that would take more than the VWP 90 days ...
  11. LancePrivateJones

    LancePrivateJones LE Book Reviewer

    I don't know if this will answer your question but this is my experience ;

    During my Merchant Navy period I was required to have a C1D US visa in my passport and it was valid for 10 years.
    However, my passport expired prior to the expiry of the visa so my new passport was held on board together with the old (cancelled) one which contained the still valid C1D visa.
    Upon entry to US waters this was presented to US immigration and was always acceptable, there were quite a few of us with this type of passport/visa and it never caused a problem.

    I would advise contacting the US Embassy though.
    By the way, I applied for a B1 visa last year and although it was a pain in the arse having to attend Grosvenor Square in person, I was done and processed within an hour and the service was very efficient.
    I have also heard otherwise so maybe I was just lucky.
  12. When crossing via land entry, British passport holders will need to cough up $6 US for an entry card. The visa waiver program only applies to an existing list of approved air transport companies. When I was doing air medivac, I had to transport a patient from Winnipeg to Rochester, after I had transported the (critical) patient to the hospital, I was slapped with a $600 US fine payable on the spot, and my medivac company got slapped with a fine in the thousands because they did not appear on the approved list, regardless of my GB biometric passport.