USA Travel Advice

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
To discover what the USA is really like, once you've seen the big tourist attractions, get off the Interstate highways and take the back roads. Find a little town that has family-owned diners or restaurants and have breakfast or dinner. There, you'll meet some of the friendliest, kindest and most generous people on Earth. When we're driving through the States and time isn't tight, we make a point of dining in the smallest villages we can find. It's an eye-opener.

Last edited:

Norfolkred1

Clanker
To discover what the USA is really like, once you've seen the big tourist attractions, get off the Interstate highways and take the back roads. Find a little town that has family-owned diners or restaurants and have breakfast or dinner. There, you'll meet some of the friendliest, kindest and generous people on Earth. When we're driving through the States and time isn't tight, we make a point of dining in the smallest villages we can find. It's an eye-opener.
That is exactly what we do and are doing again in April. Fly into Houston pick up a car and drive for 30 minutes to a non descript town for the night. We have no real plans as such but a Prison Rodeo. No accommodation booked just drive, stop and look up Booking.com. Never failed to find a decent Hotel.

That is exactly what we do and are doing again in April. Fly into Houston pick up a car and drive for 30 minutes to a non descript town for the night. We have no real plans as such but a Prison Rodeo. No accommodation booked just drive, stop and look up Booking.com. Never failed to find a decent Hotel.
Depending on what direction you drive, 30 minutes from George Bush will barely get you out of Houston.

Make sure you bring some toilet roll with you. We’ve run out :)

Edited to add: I was in Nashville last week, and went to Costco while I was there; our nearest branch is an hour away when at home. They had no paper goods at all. No toilet or kitchen roll whatsoever. They had water, but sugar, rice and water all rationed to 5 per member.

I come back home and went to our local supermarket, and there’s no problem at all. Stacks of everything as usual. Wife casually mentions that I was in Nashville at work. A case of Coronavirus is reported in the news. She gets called to the Principal’s office to ascertain what my exposure was. FFS. A city of 700K people, one case. I was in the hotel, our office and 40 mins in Costco a mile from the hotel. Paranoia.

Last edited:

Edited to add: I was in Nashville last week, and went to Costco while I was there; our nearest branch is an hour away when at home. They had no paper goods at all. No toilet or kitchen roll whatsoever. They had water, but sugar, rice and water all rationed to 5 per member.

I come back home and went to our local supermarket, and there’s no problem at all. Stacks of everything as usual. Wife casually mentions that I was in Nashville at work. A case of Coronavirus is reported in the news. She gets called to the Principal’s office to ascertain what my exposure was. FFS. A city of 700K people, one case. I was in the hotel, our office and 40 mins in Costco a mile from the hotel. Paranoia.
probably more to do with the tornado last week than Covid.

I was there for the tornado, luckily about 5 miles south of the path. Not sure Costco would have been fleeced of paper goods that quickly, I went there Tuesday lunchtime, and the tornado was Tuesday small hours. The store doesn't open until 10AM.
That was a bad one - 5 miles is close!

People in NYC are losing their minds

Last week a black fella on the subway started spraying febreze on a chinese fella

Where I live in Flushing, Queens(home to the largest Chinese/Korean population in the USA) a asian fella passed out on main street wearing a face mask as people panicked

Turns out the fella was blind drunk

The supermarket has limited people to 4 bog rolls per person and you cant buy hand sanitizer at gun point, rubbing alcohol also sold out by insane people who think they will have to barricade themselves at home for a month

People in NYC are losing their minds

Last week a black fella on the subway started spraying febreze on a chinese fella

Where I live in Flushing, Queens(home to the largest Chinese/Korean population in the USA) a asian fella passed out on main street wearing a face mask as people panicked

Turns out the fella was blind drunk

The supermarket has limited people to 4 bog rolls per person and you cant buy hand sanitizer at gun point, rubbing alcohol also sold out by insane people who think they will have to barricade themselves at home for a month

The Big Apple seems to be in a bit of a tizzy. This should be good!

That reminds me of when we flew into DFW International. It seemed like a half an hour drive just to get out of the airport.
Takes about 20 minutes from the terminal to my house...........and no, we don't hear planes taking off.

Heathrow dreams of facilities like DFW airport, it was at one point the largest airport on the planet and has multiple parallel runways with two aircraft taking off or landing simultaneously at busy times. Impressive to watch them stacked back in two rows spaced about 40 - 50 seconds apart. They are actually building a private plane landing and hangerage area within the bounds of the airport to extend their traffic handling capability to smaller aircraft.

Takes about 20 minutes from the terminal to my house...........and no, we don't hear planes taking off.

Heathrow dreams of facilities like DFW airport, it was at one point the largest airport on the planet and has multiple parallel runways with two aircraft taking off or landing simultaneously at busy times. Impressive to watch them stacked back in two rows spaced about 40 - 50 seconds apart. They are actually building a private plane landing and hangerage area within the bounds of the airport to extend their traffic handling capability to smaller aircraft.
Back in the days when I was flying transatlantic regularly, I used to stay at LHR Hilton the night before my flight home. I really enjoyed sitting outside having a fag and pint watching the aircraft stream in on the southerly runway, which generally handled evening landings from the East - got a great view from the Hilton at T4. You could see 5 or 6 aircraft on the approach stretching miles up the glide path.

Back in the days when I was flying transatlantic regularly, I used to stay at LHR Hilton the night before my flight home. I really enjoyed sitting outside having a fag and pint watching the aircraft stream in on the southerly runway, which generally handled evening landings from the East - got a great view from the Hilton at T4. You could see 5 or 6 aircraft on the approach stretching miles up the glide path.

This location (Founders Plaza) on the edge of DFW is a good spot, I used to take the lad there when I was teaching him to drive his car and ride his bike.

Going to Lowe's on Southlake Blvd. is impressive too as they come just over the top on their final approach.

And, for you spotters out there if and when you get along to Orlando, Florida, for a D1sney World visit pop back to the airport and have a look at the B-52 in the memorial park. You can park up there, wander around it, touch it, kick the tyres, no entry fee, no guards or supervision.

Latest Threads