USA Travel Advice

Norfolkred1

Swinger
Just one question.

WTF do you want to go to Mississippi for? It is the poorest state in the nation. It has two good things going for it though.

I-10 west to Louisiana, and I-10 east to Alabama :)
We were very underwhelmed with Texas. The Alamo is basically a wall in the City Centre, maybe expecting a little to much from San Antonio.

Disagree mate - the U.S. has tons of things, to see, experience and things to offer, despite some issues.
You missed something, I was pointing out places to go and visit two other posters started ripping the U.S not me.

You missed something, I was pointing out places to go and visit two other posters started ripping the U.S not me.
I was ripping NY schmuck, do try to tell the truth at least sometimes

I rest my case - welcome to America the land of the free and the not so brave..
LOL we welcome the stupid like yourself, your lesson on the NYC subway awaits tough guy.

Scottish_Cop

Swinger
Well I’ve done Boston, Nashville, Memphis, Washington DC and New Orleans on my last trip. And previously I’ve done Utah, Minnesota, Georgia, Texas and Vegas before.
I would like to visit different places. I have to visit NYC to meet this lass I met last time, plus I would like to be there for Tartan Week and or St Paddy’s day.

Well I’ve done Boston, Nashville, Memphis, Washington DC and New Orleans on my last trip. And previously I’ve done Utah, Minnesota, Georgia, Texas and Vegas before.
I would like to visit different places. I have to visit NYC to meet this lass I met last time, plus I would like to be there for Tartan Week and or St Paddy’s day.
I'm in NYC this year for St Paddy's day. I booked it ages ago without realising. First trip to NYC (been to loads of other places in the 'States, but not New York or New York City). Should be interesting.

Norfolkred1

Swinger
Was not that impressed with Memphis, seemed to be living on its past. New York is mega busy but we found it very safe due to 9/11. Texas was also a let down, then again we may not be easily pleased.

Scottish_Cop

Swinger
Was not that impressed with Memphis, seemed to be living on its past. New York is mega busy but we found it very safe due to 9/11. Texas was also a let down, then again we may not be easily pleased.
I thought that about Memphis as well. It looked like a run down sh*thole. All boarded up shops and groups standing on street corners drinking. I quite liked San Antonio, although the River Walk was nothing special. The rest of Texas is great.

I liked New York City, and although, like you say its busy, it's nowhere near as busy as London.

As a current resident one holiday we are thinking of doing is the trip to Vegas but not for the usual Vegas things.
You can get good package deals for flight/hotel and car to Vegas - from there you can find just some cracking day/2 day trips out - Death Valley, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (Flagstaff is very nice), Red Rocks, Lake Mead, and you get to do all those desert road trip things and diner eating that the Brits like to do.

Oh and of course Vegas - some stuff to do there too. Check out the Area 51 shuttle planes at McCarren (white with a thin red stripe)

I thought that about Memphis as well. It looked like a run down sh*thole. All boarded up shops and groups standing on street corners drinking. I quite liked San Antonio, although the River Walk was nothing special. The rest of Texas is great.

I liked New York City, and although, like you say its busy, it's nowhere near as busy as London.
Not sure if you went last time but the USS Intrepid in NYC is well worth a visit. It varies but they usually have around 100 aircraft on board.

The one thing that the US has and it really is phenomenal, are the National Parks.
It's not a country of deep history, it's an acquired taste with the culture but the geography is breathtaking.

I did Big Bend in Texas - the least visited of the National Parks, meaning the less busiest too.
Good camping, nature (bears, javelinas, coyotes - stinging millipedes - the little bastards), canyons but best of all was the clearest view i have ever seen of the Milky Way.

Tetons (tits), Half Dome, Grand Canyon, Arcadia, JellyStone etc, etc. etc.
HALF DOME.png

Latest Threads